LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus service more like Ford or Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 01:49 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus service more like Ford or Chevy

Sacramento and Roseville Lexus have the same owner and it shows, no competition equals no service. Last month, my 2002 LS430 was seen by the service department. A small flaw in the window sealing was noticed. They ordered the part and I went in today. First, everyone I dealt with was professional and polite. My issues:

1. Greeted by a service person. Asked what I was there for. I showed him the problem and told him of my appointment. He said go inside and they will call my name.

2. Went inside, decided to begin the process of getting my loaner, told I had to wait for my service rep to give them info before I could process a loaner. Ten minutes later, a service person (not the same guy who checked me in) asked me into his office and sit down. I did. "what are you here for." Duh! Ok, I tell him. He asks if I am going to leave the car? I simply say I will need a loaner. Ok, will be ready in four hours. Ok.

3. Service guy took me to loaner gal, paperwork began for loaner. They ask for credit card, driver's license, and proof of insurance (which of course is in the car already headed to the back area.) Ok, they believe me on the insurance. I initial or sign about ten times on two different forms.

4. We do a visual of the car for five minutes making sure every little ding is noted (nice car, 2005 ES300) and in excellent shape. I have to inspect the trunk also. I was told to bring it back with a full tank.

5. Get a call an hour later. They didn't have the right part. Come back in 45 minutes they say to make sure the car is washed and I re-identified the problem.

6. I return. Wait another 40 minutes for my car. I live 20 miles in heavy traffic, so I didn't even return home. I left my house at 12:20 for this 1:00 o'clock appointment. It is now a little after 3:00. I inform the service rep that I would like the car brought up, as this is going to be a four hour car wash!

7. Car is returned, I show the rep the problem, he says ok, they will order the right part.

Crapola service!

Here is how it worked for me with Infinity of Roseville (one block away) when I owned their mid-line IS30T for four years.

1. Show up, greeted by service rep with a handshake. Go to his office and he prints out a form for me to sign. We walk back out to the breezeway, he points out a decent IS30, hands me the keys, tells me the approximate time it will be ready and I am on my way.

Prior to that, I had a Honda Accord. Same greeting by the rep and about the same ease of getting the rental (Infinity was free loaner, Honda charged me only $20 total for the rental.)

Similar experience with Folsom Toyota for my wife's car.

What is up with Lexus service. Nice building, nice coffee machine, nice people, but clueless about customer support. In the LS430 Forum, many have complained about Lexus of Roseville and Sacramento? Are all the dealerships this crass? The problem with ordering the wrong part is forgivable, but the treatment is NOT. If I wanted to be treated this way, I would have bought a Ford (just kidding for you Ford owners.) I am thinking they just don't want service business, really, that has to be it, the money is not there or they don't have the facilities to handle the volume? I know I am not alone in the Sacramento area. From now on, any non-warranty work goes to Toyota and my future purchases will go to another city!

Thanks for your time.

Joe
Old 04-02-05, 06:25 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is why people should call lexus customer service. a forum serves many purposes but it is not connected in anyway to lexus so it serves only as a warning to US but not a remedy.
Old 04-02-05, 11:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by digital_b
this is why people should call lexus customer service. a forum serves many purposes but it is not connected in anyway to lexus so it serves only as a warning to US but not a remedy.
The Lexus Customer Assistance Center
1-800-255-3987, prompt #4
Monday – Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., PT.
Fax: 1-310-468-2992

Address:
P.O. Box 2991 – Mail Drop L202
Torrance, CA 90509-2991

I would call right AWAY!! Luckily in Atlanta, there are competing dealers. But the couple times I felt angered and cheated, I took it up with managment and if not satisfied called Lexus customer service. If you call the number, someone WILL call you back to remedy the problem. Good luck.

In comparison, my dealer treats me so well its ridiculous
Old 04-03-05, 01:39 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joegolf68
Sacramento and Roseville Lexus have the same owner and it shows, no competition equals no service. Last month, my 2002 LS430 was seen by the service department. A small flaw in the window sealing was noticed. They ordered the part and I went in today. First, everyone I dealt with was professional and polite. My issues:

1. Greeted by a service person. Asked what I was there for. I showed him the problem and told him of my appointment. He said go inside and they will call my name.

2. Went inside, decided to begin the process of getting my loaner, told I had to wait for my service rep to give them info before I could process a loaner. Ten minutes later, a service person (not the same guy who checked me in) asked me into his office and sit down. I did. "what are you here for." Duh! Ok, I tell him. He asks if I am going to leave the car? I simply say I will need a loaner. Ok, will be ready in four hours. Ok.

3. Service guy took me to loaner gal, paperwork began for loaner. They ask for credit card, driver's license, and proof of insurance (which of course is in the car already headed to the back area.) Ok, they believe me on the insurance. I initial or sign about ten times on two different forms.

4. We do a visual of the car for five minutes making sure every little ding is noted (nice car, 2005 ES300) and in excellent shape. I have to inspect the trunk also. I was told to bring it back with a full tank.

5. Get a call an hour later. They didn't have the right part. Come back in 45 minutes they say to make sure the car is washed and I re-identified the problem.

6. I return. Wait another 40 minutes for my car. I live 20 miles in heavy traffic, so I didn't even return home. I left my house at 12:20 for this 1:00 o'clock appointment. It is now a little after 3:00. I inform the service rep that I would like the car brought up, as this is going to be a four hour car wash!

7. Car is returned, I show the rep the problem, he says ok, they will order the right part.

Crapola service!

Here is how it worked for me with Infinity of Roseville (one block away) when I owned their mid-line IS30T for four years.

1. Show up, greeted by service rep with a handshake. Go to his office and he prints out a form for me to sign. We walk back out to the breezeway, he points out a decent IS30, hands me the keys, tells me the approximate time it will be ready and I am on my way.

Prior to that, I had a Honda Accord. Same greeting by the rep and about the same ease of getting the rental (Infinity was free loaner, Honda charged me only $20 total for the rental.)

Similar experience with Folsom Toyota for my wife's car.

What is up with Lexus service. Nice building, nice coffee machine, nice people, but clueless about customer support. In the LS430 Forum, many have complained about Lexus of Roseville and Sacramento? Are all the dealerships this crass? The problem with ordering the wrong part is forgivable, but the treatment is NOT. If I wanted to be treated this way, I would have bought a Ford (just kidding for you Ford owners.) I am thinking they just don't want service business, really, that has to be it, the money is not there or they don't have the facilities to handle the volume? I know I am not alone in the Sacramento area. From now on, any non-warranty work goes to Toyota and my future purchases will go to another city!

Thanks for your time.

Joe
Joe I feel your pain. I deeply love my 2001 LS430, but I have received terrible service from 2 of 3 dealersips I have been involved with. The dealership I am presently dealing with has been exceptional (Bobby Rahal in Harrisburgh)

Calling Lexus customer service did help. They made sure that the first dealership issue was addressed albeit very slowly. the second dealership (Lash Lexus in Lewistown, PA) is so bad, that I don't know what Lexus can do about them. They are isolated with no real competition and treat customers abysmally!!!. Lexus USA did give me a generous credit for future service because of some issues at this dealership. I think lexus usa can only do so much, but they have helped somewhat.

Lexus dealerships (esp when there isnt competition) can be pretty bad. I'm still a sucker for their cars
Old 04-03-05, 01:48 PM
parula
Instructor

Can't comment on dealers out in CA, here service has been better, I wonder if Lexus reads these threads?
Old 04-03-05, 05:00 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's high time Lexus reenergized its service emphasis. A research-oriented company like Lexus probably has figured out that low competition dealerships have less motivation to perform exceedingly well. However, dealing with that problem is likely very difficult.

Perhaps a survey-based Lexus dealership ratings scale by Lexus owners? That way we can see that, say, Lexus of Roseville has a 73% satisfaction rating and Lexus of Sacramento has a 55% satisfaction rating, etc.
Old 04-04-05, 11:51 AM
joegolf68
Rookie

Originally Posted by enigma354
It's high time Lexus reenergized its service emphasis. A research-oriented company like Lexus probably has figured out that low competition dealerships have less motivation to perform exceedingly well. However, dealing with that problem is likely very difficult.

Perhaps a survey-based Lexus dealership ratings scale by Lexus owners? That way we can see that, say, Lexus of Roseville has a 73% satisfaction rating and Lexus of Sacramento has a 55% satisfaction rating, etc.
Unfortunately, after reading the replies, I feel as if Lexus really does not care about their service reputation. Great cars, poor service, or just lip service. Thanks.
Old 04-04-05, 02:09 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joegolf68
Unfortunately, after reading the replies, I feel as if Lexus really does not care about their service reputation. Great cars, poor service, or just lip service. Thanks.
I had an SC 430 that I bought from Lexus of Sacramento. I feel the pain of the fellow poster and his experiences. In fact I felt it for 8 times with the SC. I finally solved my problem; I sold the dam thing with 1750 miles on it. I really showed them????

The service that I received on my LS430 was really not that much better but there have not been any real problems---just crappy service, like forgetting to replace the trunk plates, scuffs on the seats and a general feeling of I had discovered the 3 Stooges; they work in the service department at Lexus of Sacramento.

By the way I did receive a questionaire asking my experience with Lexus in general and specfically Lexus of Sacramento. I am sure that the General Manager is not going to run as President of my fan club next year.
Old 04-04-05, 02:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have heard a lot of horrible stories about the lexus of sacramento... that really blows man.... sorry to hear that
Old 04-13-05, 08:50 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would call right AWAY!! Luckily in Atlanta, there are competing dealers.
In comparison, my dealer treats me so well its ridiculous
Sick, which one of the 4 Lexus dealers around ATL do you think has the best service? Gwinette on Peachtree Indust. PKWY near I-285? Thanks!
Old 04-14-05, 12:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

We only have one Lexus dealership in the Memphis area unless you want to travel 2.5 hrs away to Nashville or even further to another city.

So there's no competition here, and I didn't even buy my GS4 from them! But yet their service is positively unmatched in my experience. I haven't been completely happy with my GS400 to be honest, but their service department has more than made up for it. Getting work done to my car is about as pleasant as going over to my parent's house for a home cooked meal. In other words they make me feel appreciated and like a member of their family. And when they do work (warranty, non-warranty, or even just an oil change), I get a free loaner immediately, no questions asked, no filling up the tank, no serious look-over to check out every little last ding, etc, etc. And if I'm even the least bit not happy with the service I paid for they are ALL over it... they'll make it right and offer a free car wash or discount on the next service or whatever.

I appreciate my service manager so much I've even gotten him a couple of small appreciative christmas gifts the last couple of years.

And in the end, the service I've received at that dealership is the only reason I'm pretty much guarenteed to buy another Lexus when the time comes.
Old 04-14-05, 04:35 PM
parula
Instructor

Threxx. if I had that experience at a dealer I would make sure LEXUS knew about it. Awesome. Everyone and LEXUS benefits from such levels of service.
Old 04-14-05, 04:44 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by parula
Threxx. if I had that experience at a dealer I would make sure LEXUS knew about it. Awesome. Everyone and LEXUS benefits from such levels of service.
I have ... 2 or 3 times actually. I especially make sure to put in a good word for my service manager. He's about the most genuinely nice guy I know. Extremely polite, extremely efficient, and extremely personable. Not that their service manager is bad, but I think he'd do an awesome job in that position.
Old 04-14-05, 04:49 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

lexus of sacramento was the worst experience i've ever had of all the dealership i've been to. fortunately, i commute to the bay area in sj, so i go to stevens creek lexus to have my car taken care of. i'll take the 2hr drive over the frustrations of sacramento. ask for greg veerman. he has taken care of me even when i'm out of warranty. they call it "good will" service
Old 04-22-05, 10:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Las Vegas Lexus dealer was pretty cool, last time I returned a RX330 loaner car, they did not even look at it and just ask me to pick up my car and I am good to go!