LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I have just ordered the latest Navigation DVD from local Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 05:28 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have just ordered the latest Navigation DVD from local Lexus Dealer

I've seen many posts here about eBay DVD's and the problems everyone has had. So, I ordered the newest DVD. We have two dealers here in Sacramento. I first called the Sewell Lexus dealership in Dallas that was giving Forum members a discount. They wanted over $400. My local dealer said $260 which was full MSRP and he told me that was their cost also... yeah, right! So I ordered from them (Roseville). I then called the other dealership in town just to see if they had it in stock. He said no, but could order it for $250. I said $250? He said yeah, that was the MSRP and they only made a small profit. Both dealerships have the same owner! Too funny.

Mine should be here in about a week. I was quoted between $50 and $100 to install. I asked which was it? He said it depended upon my car. I told him AGAIN it is a 2002 LS430. I cornered him into saying he just didn't know how much they charge. Unreal. Nice Lexus service as usual here in Sacramento.

When the DVD gets here, I am NOT going to have them install. Instead, I am going to use my DVDX software which will perfectly copy all movie DVD's and try to make a copy, install the copy and see if I can just use the copy so as to keep the original pristine. I will advise how well the copy works. This is suppose to be the Fall 2004 version for the pre-2003 navigation systems.

I am happy with my car but not the double talk I always get from these guys.
Old 02-07-05, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm i thought you just stick in the dvd and it will upgrade all the software and such?

and yeah, around 250 that's the right price for the dvd
Old 02-07-05, 09:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by joegolf68
I first called the Sewell Lexus dealership in Dallas that was giving Forum members a discount. They wanted over $400.
I found it very odd that you got that price from Sewell. Look at the $245 price they offered a pre-order GB to our members

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dvd

Plus this is straight off their website, did you look there? $288 (retail, not with our 10% CL discount)

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....=73&ModelID=25

I think somebody quoted you the wrong price or perhaps looked up the wrong part number.
Old 02-08-05, 08:59 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Angry

I've seen many posts here about eBay DVD's and the problems everyone has had. So, I ordered the newest DVD. We have two dealers here in Sacramento. I first called the Sewell Lexus dealership in Dallas that was giving Forum members a discount. They wanted over $400. My local dealer said $260 which was full MSRP and he told me that was their cost also... yeah, right! So I ordered from them (Roseville). I then called the other dealership in town just to see if they had it in stock. He said no, but could order it for $250. I said $250? He said yeah, that was the MSRP and they only made a small profit. Both dealerships have the same owner! Too funny.

Mine should be here in about a week. I was quoted between $50 and $100 to install. I asked which was it? He said it depended upon my car. I told him AGAIN it is a 2002 LS430. I cornered him into saying he just didn't know how much they charge. Unreal. Nice Lexus service as usual here in Sacramento.

When the DVD gets here, I am NOT going to have them install. Instead, I am going to use my DVDX software which will perfectly copy all movie DVD's and try to make a copy, install the copy and see if I can just use the copy so as to keep the original pristine. I will advise how well the copy works. This is suppose to be the Fall 2004 version for the pre-2003 navigation systems.

I am happy with my car but not the double talk I always get from these guys.
I am also located in Sacramento. I purchased 2 cars from Lexus of Sacramento last Spring (SC430) and Summer (LS 430). Double talk is really being kind to them. The service stinks to the point that I am ready to unload the SC. I would not be surprised if they were to give you a 45 RPM record to update your Nav system. I have said before; I have discovered Larry, Curly and Moe, they work in the service department at Lexus of Sacamento.
Old 02-09-05, 11:20 AM
joegolf68
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I found it very odd that you got that price from Sewell. Look at the $245 price they offered a pre-order GB to our members

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=dvd

Plus this is straight off their website, did you look there? $288 (retail, not with our 10% CL discount)

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....=73&ModelID=25

I think somebody quoted you the wrong price or perhaps looked up the wrong part number.
No question there was an error from the guy at Swell. That's why I posted the oddity. I first called Roseville (local) and figured if they were full MSRP, Sewell my still give us a discount plus the savings in tax, I nice $30 plus savings. When he said $400 it floored me! I told him that the MSRP at Roseville was $260 and he told me to jump on it! I did! I only called the other local dealer in case they had it in stock, that was when I found it was only $250. Go figure. Sewell had to be looking at the wrong part number, maybe for the Gen 4 model, and I tried to explain even that to him to no avail.
Old 02-09-05, 11:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

No question there was an error from the guy at Swell. That's why I posted the oddity. I first called Roseville (local) and figured if they were full MSRP, Sewell my still give us a discount plus the savings in tax, I nice $30 plus savings. When he said $400 it floored me! I told him that the MSRP at Roseville was $260 and he told me to jump on it! I did! I only called the other local dealer in case they had it in stock, that was when I found it was only $250. Go figure. Sewell had to be looking at the wrong part number, maybe for the Gen 4 model, and I tried to explain even that to him to no avail.
Next time you call, ask to speak to Darrell. He'll take care of you
Old 02-09-05, 11:46 AM
joegolf68
Rookie

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I am also located in Sacramento. I purchased 2 cars from Lexus of Sacramento last Spring (SC430) and Summer (LS 430). Double talk is really being kind to them. The service stinks to the point that I am ready to unload the SC. I would not be surprised if they were to give you a 45 RPM record to update your Nav system. I have said before; I have discovered Larry, Curly and Moe, they work in the service department at Lexus of Sacramento.
Just got a call from Roseville. My DVD is in and I am going now to pick it up. I couldn't agree more with Roseville and Sacramento Lexus being horrible service centers. I owned an Infinity that I had serviced in Roseville. I was always treat wonderfully and had a rental car waiting. Lexus seems to do everything they can not to give you one. When I get my car washed, it is never done correctly. The after service phone call from the service satisfaction manager lady heard this, she said, yeah, over half our complaints are about the car washes. I suggested if she fixed the problem it would help her a lot. Duh? It seemed to sink in. We'll see, as I will get my rewash today.

I previously owned an SC400 and had horrible luck with the service department. They acted as if they were in working for Ford or Chevy. In town when I owned a Honda, I went to Mel Rapton for all my service and they were great. It is a shame that both Lexus dealers in the area have the same owner as there is no competition and they act like it.

Oh well, off to get my DVD and see if the copy will work. I will advise!
Old 02-09-05, 01:28 PM
cenwesi
Rookie

So did it work. I believe it should since it should be IDENTICAL copy if done right? BTW can we get a copy of the image from ya
Old 02-09-05, 06:54 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Originally Posted by cenwesi
So did it work. I believe it should since it should be IDENTICAL copy if done right? BTW can we get a copy of the image from ya
Well, I picked up the DVD today. Tried to make a copy. It is on one of the new dual lawyer DVD's with 7.7 GB needed. Duh, I don't have a machine for that. I found one of those at Best Buy for $229. Each DVD dual lawyer disc is about $10.

I am wondering if this is really worth it?? It does look like the image can be copied though, as I got it into my computer, but can't download until and unless I buy the bigger DVD recorder. Ouch.
Old 02-13-05, 11:30 AM
joegolf68
Rookie

Thumbs down Juat not worth it...

Ok, I bought the new ver 4.01, whatever, the Fall 04 version for LS's prior to 2004.

Tried to copy the disk. It is a dual layered 8.4 GB thing. So, I bought a Sony external dual CDRW disk copier. Hooked it up to my Vaio. Kept saying not enough room avaialbe on drive "C. Foght the damn nero software for four hours trying it to nstall or copy on the D drive. No luck. Returned the dual drive writer for a refund. Went to a Toyota dealer and them install the navigation update. They didn't even want to charge me. I tipped the guy a $20 and was on my way. Lexus of Roseville kept telling me installation would be between $50 and $100. They didn't geve me tha actual figure. I would have gotten free coffee though.

Maybe Lexus dealers in other cites are first class, but here in Sacrament/Roseville, they are jekrs. I am not alone. I know several other locals who try to avoid them. It is not the money, it is that their service departments act as if they are working on Chevy's. Example, on the drivers side door, the weather stripping at the front of the window is pealing off just a bit. I showed the service guy while I was there and he said, yeah, it isn't suppose to be that way but it doesn't really create much of a problem. I asked him if it could be fixed on warranty. He seemed reluctant and said yeah, he'd order the part and call me. I didn not feel at all as if he watned to fix it, more like, why can't you just live with a six inch seam sticking out. Geez.

I got the guys card from the Toyota dealer and will have my non warranty work done there. $29 for an oil change while I wait versus Lexus charging $49 and no particualr rush. At Toyota, if they don't get it cahgned in 30 minutes or less, it is free. Already got one for my wife that way, they took 40 minutes. I tried to insist taht it was ok, but they said they were happy to give it to her for free (RAV4)

Anyone from Lexus out there reading this, get Roseville and Sacramento off their butts. The only reason they could have good post service ratings is the quick phone call from a nice woman after the service making sure you say everything was great.
Old 02-14-05, 04:26 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I bought the new ver 4.01, whatever, the Fall 04 version for LS's prior to 2004.

Tried to copy the disk. It is a dual layered 8.4 GB thing. So, I bought a Sony external dual CDRW disk copier. Hooked it up to my Vaio. Kept saying not enough room avaialbe on drive "C. Foght the damn nero software for four hours trying it to nstall or copy on the D drive. No luck. Returned the dual drive writer for a refund. Went to a Toyota dealer and them install the navigation update. They didn't even want to charge me. I tipped the guy a $20 and was on my way. Lexus of Roseville kept telling me installation would be between $50 and $100. They didn't geve me tha actual figure. I would have gotten free coffee though.

Maybe Lexus dealers in other cites are first class, but here in Sacrament/Roseville, they are jekrs. I am not alone. I know several other locals who try to avoid them. It is not the money, it is that their service departments act as if they are working on Chevy's. Example, on the drivers side door, the weather stripping at the front of the window is pealing off just a bit. I showed the service guy while I was there and he said, yeah, it isn't suppose to be that way but it doesn't really create much of a problem. I asked him if it could be fixed on warranty. He seemed reluctant and said yeah, he'd order the part and call me. I didn not feel at all as if he watned to fix it, more like, why can't you just live with a six inch seam sticking out. Geez.

I got the guys card from the Toyota dealer and will have my non warranty work done there. $29 for an oil change while I wait versus Lexus charging $49 and no particualr rush. At Toyota, if they don't get it cahgned in 30 minutes or less, it is free. Already got one for my wife that way, they took 40 minutes. I tried to insist taht it was ok, but they said they were happy to give it to her for free (RAV4)

Anyone from Lexus out there reading this, get Roseville and Sacramento off their butts. The only reason they could have good post service ratings is the quick phone call from a nice woman after the service making sure you say everything was great.
Personally, I have had very poor dealings with Lexus dealers (Darcars of Silver Spring, MD and Lash Lexus of Lewiston, PA). Service is terrible, and there is an attitude of arrogance that turns me off completely. I now have to have my service done 2 hours away in Harrisburg, PA. Lexus USA will not help either. I love my LS430, but the dealerships I have dealt with have been abysmal. I would never recommend them.
Old 02-15-05, 08:12 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

I feel your pain. The service at SAC was disgusting to the point where I traded my '04 SC 430 (1,900 miles) on a Mercedes SL 55 this weekend. I went as far as speaking to the General Manager and relayed my issues to him that have been ongoing since September: acid rain spots on the paint at least 7 visits to get the seats corrected (and I might add they are worse than when it started) I told him that if I could not get any satisfaction I was going to get rid of the car and go back to Mercedes. His response was "You would get rid of the car because of the seats and the paint?". I guess the wheels would have to drop off before they would consider it a problem. They are truly idiots and incompetent ones at that.
Old 02-15-05, 07:33 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I feel your pain. The service at SAC was disgusting to the point where I traded my '04 SC 430 (1,900 miles) on a Mercedes SL 55 this weekend. I went as far as speaking to the General Manager and relayed my issues to him that have been ongoing since September: acid rain spots on the paint at least 7 visits to get the seats corrected (and I might add they are worse than when it started) I told him that if I could not get any satisfaction I was going to get rid of the car and go back to Mercedes. His response was "You would get rid of the car because of the seats and the paint?". I guess the wheels would have to drop off before they would consider it a problem. They are truly idiots and incompetent ones at that.
I think it just might be a Lexus of America problem, as I see Deisel11's comments as well. Infiniti, Toyota and Honda dealers all had the right idea, treat med like I was a valued customer. Lexus of Roseville and Sacramento fall far too short. I don't know if it is arrogance, monopoly mentality or what, but from now on I go to Toyota of Folsom for service and when I buy my next car, if it is a Lexus, I will NOT buy in Sacramento. I think they get their post-service ratings as we are all afraid to cut our throats and complain, have Lexus go down in JD Powers ratings and devalue our car. The cars are awesome but the service people need much more training in customer satisfaction and treatment, in my humble opinion. They are all nice people, but I just feel as if I am putting them out with my "issues."

Thanks to all for your kind responses.

Joe
Old 03-26-05, 12:48 PM
marvli
Driver School Candidate

Default my copy didn't work

Warning - discussion of software piracy - including copying the Lexus DVD navigation disc - are not allowed on ClubLexus.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-30-05 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 09:19 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Warning - discussion of software piracy - including copying the Lexus DVD navigation disc - are not allowed on ClubLexus.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-30-05 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: I have just ordered the latest Navigation DVD from local Lexus Dealer