Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 09:22 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Question door locks on LS

Please tell me I'm missing something...

Here's the situation;
I start my car and unlock all the doors so my passenger can get in. After driving a short distance, the doors automatically lock. Great. Now, when I stop, everyone in the car except me cannot get out. I simply pull the door handle and the door is unlocked and open. My passengers can either push the lock open manually, or ask me to unlock all the doors.

Is there something wrong with this picture. Why won't the other doors function like the drivers door (i.e. open when you pull the handle, locked or not)?

Can you feel my pain?
Old 11-29-04, 09:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

So the passenger electric door lock button doesn't work at all?

I'm not sure on the LS430, but I suspect one of three things.

1) easiest - is the 'lock' button on your driver control (the one that locks the window control) depressed? I've never paid attention if that has any effect on the door locks, but it does the windows

2) Child safety lock is engaged. I've never looked into how to set this feature, but will search

3) Get your dealer to disengage the auto lock feature via C-best.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=23510

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-29-04 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-29-04, 10:36 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: door locks on LS

Originally posted by DDLexus

Here's the situation;
I start my car and unlock all the doors so my passenger can get in. After driving a short distance, the doors automatically lock. Great. Now, when I stop, everyone in the car except me cannot get out. I simply pull the door handle and the door is unlocked and open. My passengers can either push the lock open manually, or ask me to unlock all the doors.

Is there something wrong with this picture. Why won't the other doors function like the drivers door (i.e. open when you pull the handle, locked or not)?

Can you feel my pain?
Nothing's wrong with your LS, don't worry.
Just go to your local friendly Lexus dealer and ask them to disable your "auto door lock" function.
(Like DaveGS4 suggested)

I do have a question, you say your LS locks its door after u drive a short distance? My LS locks its door whenever I shift out of P, my IS does the same thing, too.

Last edited by TRD-bB; 11-29-04 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-29-04, 10:57 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Follow-up

Not sure if the car locks immediately after taking the car out of park or driving a short distance. My GS400 didn't do this at all. Maybe it was not configured this way by the dealer.

I like the auto door lock feature, but would like the door handles to open the door regardless of wheather or not the door are locked.

The unlock/lock doors button works, but I didn't think the button needs to be used if you simply pull the handle (such as the way it works on the drivers side). It does seem to ack very similar to a child safety lock control.
Old 11-29-04, 03:23 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Follow-up

Not sure if the car locks immediately after taking the car out of park or driving a short distance. My GS400 didn't do this at all. Maybe it was not configured this way by the dealer.

I like the auto door lock feature, but would like the door handles to open the door regardless of wheather or not the door are locked.

The unlock/lock doors button works, but I didn't think the button needs to be used if you simply pull the handle (such as the way it works on the drivers side). It does seem to ack very similar to a child safety lock control.
I think the driver and passenger side dont require you to unlock it to open from the inside, but the rears do. (safety thing).

Anyone have auto lock on 98-00LS?
Old 11-29-04, 03:27 PM
BMcD430
Driver

DDLexus - Almost every car I've had in the last few years allows you to pull on the inside door handle and unlock/open the door. But ONLY on the fronts - never the rear doors. Maybe a government safety thing??

I had the dealer program my car to lock when I take it out of PARK and unlock when I put it back in PARK. Not sure if the 2001 can be prgrammed like that but I gotta think it can. Good luck!!

Bruce
Old 11-29-04, 05:03 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Default Checkup

I went out to the car and tried to open the front passenger door from the inside while all doors were locked. It won't open. The rear doors behave the same way. I inspected the child safety lock switch, and it is in the OFF position, meaning that.. when all doors are unlocked, the rear passengers can let themselves out.

My 2003 Accord EX acts very simliar. However, all doors incl the drivers door cannot be opened from the inside unless the door lock/unlock switch is activated.

Just supprises me that in the Lexus, the driver door is different from all the others...
Old 11-30-04, 10:22 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '04 LS is programmed to have all four doors lock when put in gear and have the two front doors (drivers and passenger) unlock when put in park. My car has the option of being programmed to have all four doors unlock when the car is put in park but I chose to leave it the way it is.
Old 11-30-04, 04:06 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: door locks on LS

Here's the situation;

Can you feel my pain?
Did you bough the car pre-owned? The 2001 LS430 can be programmed to lock all the doors when the car reach 12 mph and it also can program to unlock all doors when you put it in park.
Or you can cancel the auto lock function altogether.
On the 2001 LS430, only driver door can be open from the inside when the door is locked. Lexus changed this in 2004.
So, nothing wrong with your car.

Lexus started this annoyying auto lock in 2001with LS430 and GS430, so the 98-00 don't have this function. I did the C-Best on the my 2001 GS and cancelled the auto lock function.

Last edited by VVT-i; 11-30-04 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-30-04, 09:59 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

hey, I have 2001 LS and when I bought it my wife was constantly complaining about the passanger door not unlocking when I put the car in park. Here is what you do - go to your Lexus dealer and they hook this little computer up to the diagnostics hub in your car and they re-program you door lock/unlock options the way you tell them to. That's what I did. And it was free. Also, now all the doors unlock when I put the car in park and all the doors lock when I engage it into drive.
Old 11-30-04, 10:01 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Default Re: Checkup

I went out to the car and tried to open the front passenger door from the inside while all doors were locked. It won't open. The rear doors behave the same way. I inspected the child safety lock switch, and it is in the OFF position, meaning that.. when all doors are unlocked, the rear passengers can let themselves out.

My 2003 Accord EX acts very simliar. However, all doors incl the drivers door cannot be opened from the inside unless the door lock/unlock switch is activated.

Just supprises me that in the Lexus, the driver door is different from all the others...
oh, yeah...only the driver door can be opened from inside the car even when it's locked. no other doors can be opened if they are locked. That's how it is on my LS also, so yours has no problem. It's normal.
Old 12-01-04, 06:44 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Lightbulb List of configurations?

Does anyone have a list of configurable setting for the LS? When I had my GS, someone posted all the things that can be changed/configured to meet the individual needs of the owner.

This would be very helpful to everyone!
Old 12-01-04, 07:10 AM
mink92890
Lead Lap

dont worry my 01 LS430 ultra does the same thing (driver door can open even when loked). The passenger side wont either. Int he '04 and '05 Rx330 i had 4 rental, the front and passenger door in front would open like that. The setting 4 the doors to lock automatically while driving at a certain speed is a T-Best (i think that is wut it is called) and can be changed.

Mink92890
I hope i am answering ur question
Old 12-02-04, 01:19 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear lock feature probably is to prevent a kid from becoming roadkill because they just had to open a door.
Old 12-02-04, 03:12 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Lightbulb digital_b

digital_b,
News flash... Don't you think the child safety locks would prohibit this problem?

Quick Reply: door locks on LS