LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Puddle Lights on LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 07:52 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puddle Lights on LS430

I posted this on the lighting section but am getting no responses so thought maybe its better to be posted here.

Wondering if someone has the skinny on how the mirror puddle lamps are supposed to work? I have an '04 LS430 with SmartKey. Seems as though the puddle lights only light when I either use the remote to unlock the doors or when I use the SmartKey and actually touch the handle to unlock the doors.

I thought I recall the commercial on TV where the guy is walking up to the black LS and with his arms full and the lights automatically light up without him touching the remote button and before he reaches the car for the SmartKey to be recognized. Having the lights not work until you reach the car for the SmartKey to be recognized when you touch the handle defeats the purpose of the lights showing what water or other mess you might have just stepped in.

Anyone with the rules?
Old 10-29-04, 08:52 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Talking

I had the same question when I took my LS in for the 1,000 mile check up. Here is what I was given: "Lock the car - then wait for at least 15 seconds to reach for the door - within 15 seconds after locking the car, the light will not turn on if the door handle was reached". No I am not being a smart a**, this is what I was told and I do have it in writing. The best advice that I was given was refer to page 231 of the ownwer's manual for more information on the puddle light. I haven't done this yet but plan on doing it over the weekend.
Old 10-29-04, 09:32 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Default Puddle Lights

I just checked the manual at Lexus.com in the Owners section and the way it works for me is correct. Guess I should have read the manual first but tend to get so reliant on these boards to ask questions.

You have to be within the effective range of the SmarkKey, about 1m from the outside door handle or use the remote key to unlock or unlock the doors with the driver's power door switch for the lights to illuminate. Guess the commercial was a little misleading. The time length they stay on can be changed by the dealer if you want.

Last edited by AggieLS; 10-29-04 at 09:33 AM.