LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

XM satellite modification from VAIStech.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 12:47 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XM satellite modification from VAIStech.com

this is what I got as a response from info@vaistech.com when I asked about their product for the ls 430 with mark levinson/navigation. its an adapter for the terk universal xm satellite radio which connects to an OEM head unit and then allows you to control the xm receiver with the steering wheel controls.

AIC-100x Auxiliary Input Adapter with a Satellite Radio Interface

is the name of the product. what they need is pictures of the mark levinson connectors. if someone can get pictures of the connectors and can send them to info@vaistech.com we will then be able perhaps to get xm satellite in our cars without the dreaded fm modulation. will someone step up to the plate and provide pictures of the connectors? it helps all of us with ls 430s if you do. I urge you to go to this site and see what I am talking about and then whomever can, please provide pictures of the ML connectors so they can get this to work. apparently it already works on the IS 300 but you should ask them for model specific availability. see the enclosed diagram taken from their website. MODS: please dont move this thread. its meant at this time for ls 430 owners. note: this benefits owners of 2001-2003 model years since 2004 has factory support for xm.
Attached Thumbnails XM satellite modification from VAIStech.com-aic100xd.gif  

Last edited by OneOfOne; 10-02-04 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-04-04, 06:58 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll try to help.

Which connectors precisely need to be photographed?

If can you provide a few pointers, I can try to dig them out this weekend.

PS: I've been lurking here for years, and this is my first post. Must be some kind of record!

Last edited by vcheng; 10-04-04 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 12:11 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

they were not specific so if you can just take photos of all the connectors coming into and out of [including the cables, never mind the semantics of it] and send them to info@vaistech.com . then let me know youve sent them. it helps us all out.
Old 10-07-04, 04:59 AM
vcheng
Driver

By "it" do you mean the head unit in the dash?

I could take it out and photograph all the connectors. I do know that quite a few bits & pieces of the sound system are in the trunk, including the main amplifier.

If I read the picture correctly, the digging and the photgraphing might need to be in the trunk, since there does not appear to be any direct connection to the head unit itself.

Please point me in the right direction.

Last edited by vcheng; 10-07-04 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-07-04, 10:23 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

head unit in the dash. once you do and send them let me know and I will ask them if they need more. thanks a lot man.
Old 10-07-04, 02:48 PM
vcheng
Driver

Originally posted by digital_b
head unit in the dash. once you do and send them let me know and I will ask them if they need more. thanks a lot man.
digital_b:

The "radio player" (as Lexus calls the head unit in the dash) has two connectors called R2 and R3. R2 has six pins, R3 has 20.

The stereo component amplifier in the right side of the trunk wall has three connectors: S28 (12 pins), S30 (16 pins), and S29 (25 pins).

The stereo component tuner in right trunk floor has one connector: S31 (25 pins)

I have the parts diagrams, wiring circuits with pin assignments and wire colors, as well as a pictures of all these connectors.

Please send me your email address so that I can send you the information. I don't want to send them the information directly since I do not have a copy of the original emails between them and you so they would know the context.

Since I don't know how to post images, I will reuqest you to display the images in this forum so that all members may benefit.

Thanks, and I look forward to making this project a success.

Last edited by vcheng; 10-07-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 01:21 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

you have a private message containing my email address. send the information there. thanks for your assistance on this matter. too bad no one else will contribute but you can bet they will be all over the final product.
Old 10-08-04, 01:22 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

vaistech is curious to see if the ls 430 mark levinson connectors are similar to these from the gs 430...
Attached Thumbnails XM satellite modification from VAIStech.com-gs-430-ml-connectors.jpg  
Old 10-08-04, 01:23 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

see above after reading the following from info@vaistech.com

Yes, we need a picture of all ML connectors. See attached file of ML
(GS430). If you will look at Lexus "Repair Manual" or "wiring
diagram" where is no information about third connector on ML (unused
on that picture). Our engineers trying to figured out if LS430 ML
has some unused connectors on it also.

Thanks.
Regards, Julia.
Old 10-08-04, 02:49 PM
vcheng
Driver

I have responded to your PM.

There are surely other people interested in this, but at least you and I are contributing tangibly, at least for now.
Old 10-08-04, 04:35 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wireless xm

hey digitalb, do you know if this is any good?
I am curious as I'm also looking into xm
http://www.xmradio.com/roady2/
thanks.
Old 10-09-04, 01:18 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

I think the major problem with any roady or non direct install into the audio system is the fm modulation. wireless or not it doesnt have the dynamic range even though the signal from the satellite is compressed for delivery its better than then transforming it into an fm frequency which will degrade the sound quality. I had xm in my 04 tl and yes it doesnt sound as good as a properly mixed cd but it does sound fairly good overall. I will go with fm modulation ONLY if this vaistech solution doesnt work.
Old 10-09-04, 06:04 AM
vcheng
Driver

I have just emailed you some pictures at the email address provided. Please let me know if those are okay. If there is anything else, please let me know. I want to see this project succeed.

Cheers,

VCheng

PS: As you will see, the connectors are different between the LS and the GS. There are no un-used connectors at the back of an LS ML head unit. I can send you more images of the connectors pin assignments if needed.

Last edited by vcheng; 10-09-04 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-09-04, 12:02 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

here are the photos that vcheng sent me.
Attached Thumbnails XM satellite modification from VAIStech.com-mark-levinson-pics.jpg  
Old 10-09-04, 12:10 PM
vcheng
Driver

Thank you for posting them here.

Some descriptions:

The console-view is after the head unit has been removed. The two white connectors (one small and one big) can be clearly seen. The black connector goes to the hazard switch, and is not an audio system connector. The connector-closeup shows the two connectors for the head unit. The bottom-sticker describes the model number and make etc of the head unit. The back-connectors is the rear view of the head unit. At the very top is the connector for the hazard switch. Then the two connectors for the head unit are seen. There are no emtpy receptacles. At the bottom is the CD changer unit which comes out with the head unit as one piece, but has no connectors.

Now, what are the next steps? Presumably we wait to hear from the nice folks at VAISTech. Will you please let me (and us) know where to go from here.

Last edited by vcheng; 10-09-04 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: XM satellite modification from VAIStech.com