LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 & Motorola V710

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 08:08 PM
GS Doug
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 & Motorola V710

I just got a new Motorola V710 Bluetooth phone. My LS had no problem detecting the phone, and the sound quality during conversations is excellent. My only beef is that dialing functions on the Nav screen are disabled while the car is moving. You can't even use the 1-touch dialing. Is this more distracting than changing the radio station or the temperature? I don't think so! The only way to dial a number while driving is to dial it from the phone directly; this is infinitely more difficult than pressing a couple of buttons on the Nav screen. Also, I don't think there are any Lexus voice commands for the phone.

One feature I do like is the ability to dial the number of a POI simply by pressing the phone icon in the POI information window. Very convenient.
Old 08-05-04, 05:13 AM
RajaReMax
Driver

Hello Doug-
Do you have ATT wireless or Verizon? I just bought the V600 last weekend, but think I may trade in for the V710 if you say the clarity is excellent....How much was your phone?
Old 08-05-04, 05:42 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '04 LS430 with a Sony/Ericson phone and I can use the one touch dialing while the car is moving. I can't access the phone book, but the one touch works fine while in motion. The other thing that you can't access while moving is the on screen number touchpad if you need to punch in password on a voice mail system. I just use the phone to do that directly while I'm driving.

If you can't use one touch dialing while in motion, it is because of the phone, not the LS Bluetooth system.
Old 08-05-04, 04:04 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I have Verizon, and I paid $249 for the phone. Why would the phone limit my ability to use one touch dialing. That doesn't make sense to me. The car's software makes certain buttons inaccessible while driving. How could the phone? Is anyone else able to use one touch dialing while driving?
Old 08-05-04, 05:20 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I just got off the phone with Lexus support, and they said that one touch should work with my phone when the car is in motion. They suggested I take it in for service to see what the problem is.
Old 08-05-04, 07:29 PM
GS Doug
Driver

My mistake. It does work. I thought the buttons were grayed out, but in fact the telephone numbers assigned to each button disappear when the car is in motion. Why that would be I can't imagine.
Old 08-06-04, 04:48 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad it works. It certainly didn't make sense that it wouldnt, particularly with a new sophisticated phone. I have no idea why the telephone numbers don't appear. When I first saw it after I got my car I called Lexus to see if there was a problem and they couldn't tell me why they would do this.

By the way, your car is exactly the same as mine with respect to color and option packages.
Old 08-06-04, 11:56 AM
hatchback
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting your experience. Like many other Verizon customers, I've been waiting for a verizon bluetooth phone to go with my LS430. I am worried about usability defects in the name of safety, like disabling the telephone while the car is in motion. What are the procs and cons of the v710/ls430 combination versus a regular non-bluetooth cell phone? All told, is it more or less convenient and more or less annoying? Thanks.
Old 08-06-04, 09:43 PM
GS Doug
Driver

It's definitely nice to use the car's audio system when you talk on the phone. It's also nice to pull up a POI on the nav screen and dial the number with the push of a button. However, they really have crippled the functionality by disabling so much when the car is moving. And why erase the phone numbers on the one touch buttons when the car is in motion; it makes no sense at all. I also picked up a Moto bluetooth headset. It allows me to dial phone numbers using name recognition or digit recognition while I'm driving. The sound quality is excellent, although not as good as the car stereo. But it is fully functional, while the car's bluetooth implementation is half-baked.
Old 08-12-04, 03:22 PM
halw
Driver School Candidate

I got a V710 and had no problem with linking the phone to the ls. But how the heck do you
transfer the phonebook from the phone? I can't seem to find this.
Thanks,
Old 08-12-04, 04:33 PM
GS Doug
Driver

Verizon/ Motorola has disabled data transfer functions in the V710, at least in the current firmware for the phone. Rumor has it that they will enable phonebook transfer in a firmware upgrade. But once again, the LS lets us down, because there is no way that I'm aware of to manually enter numbers into the phonebook in the LS.
Old 08-13-04, 06:13 AM
halw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, well that is not very good. I like the phone but that is a major pain. Thanks again
Hal
Old 08-13-04, 01:37 PM
halw
Driver School Candidate

Doug,
How did you get your phone book in? The LS won't allow you to enter them and the V710 won't transfer them.
Hal
Old 08-13-04, 04:17 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I think you misread my statement. I can't get my phonebook to transfer either. There is a rumor circulating that a future firmware upgrade to the V710 will enable phonebook transfer. Sorry.
Old 08-14-04, 12:07 AM
jlynch
Driver School Candidate

I also just got the Motorola V710. I have not found that the one touch dial does not work. In fact, mine workds fine. One Touch does not dial from your phone address book, however, it only uses the car. My issue is that I have NOT been able to download my phone's address book, which is very frustrating. Have you tried, and if so, what did you have to do from the phone?

Thx. JL

Quick Reply: LS430 & Motorola V710