LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

XM Commander in a LS-430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 07:37 AM
cschow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Commander in a LS-430?

I recently picked up an Terk "XM Commander" XM radio system. The installation is scheduled for Friday. Has anyone had an XM Commander installed in a LS-430? If so, I'm curious to get recommendations for where to place the control unit. It seems like there is no good place to put the control unit.

-- Behind the gear shift is too close for good visibility and controllability while driving, and would prevent the use of the cup holders. I require my cup holders, so thats definitely not going to work.

-- In the small container by the various buttons seems problematic becuase that container move out quite a bit when its opened. To permit the container to remain usable would require a lot of travel slack for the wire.

-- Over the fold down panel for accessing the CD changer seems like a potential option. It should have proper visibility, but I'm not sure whether pushing the preset buttons would cause the panel to unlatch and fold down. There is also a wire routing issue.

-- Another potential install spot is inside the small container directly adjacent to the gear shift (by the power source). Installation there would give up visibility, but at least the presets can get manipulated just by touch and the container can be closed to maintain the look of the car.

If you had an XM Commander installed in a LS-430, or a similar XM radio, where would you put the control panel and why?