LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Difference between '04 Modern and Ultra?

Old 04-01-04, 08:01 AM
twnmango
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between '04 Modern and Ultra?

Been in the market shopping for a new 04 LS 430 for some weeks now....here's a question:

Other than the usual rear seat goodies (refrig, massager, rear door sunshades, a/c), air suspension, upgraded interior leather, etc..what else is different between the Modern and the Ultra?

I was told by a salesperson from a local dealership that the Ultra is "built" better than the Modern. For example, he mentioned that the Ultra uses a heavier/stronger sheet metal (more safety), and also had double windows (more quiet/refined). Can someone confirm this? Is this true? If so, how come I have not heard anything bout this from sources on the internet and review articles.....

Tks,
JC
Old 04-01-04, 08:44 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You believe the sale man... If it is difference between the base model and the max out options the company will brag about it. Also, if the ultra has better safety protection do you think that the other model will sell?
Old 04-01-04, 09:45 AM
gteach26
Rookie

As far as I know the only thing "better" in the Custom Lux and Ultra packages other than the gadgets you mentioned are extra-laminated side windows and for extra $$ a pre-collision system (in the ultra only) that thinks before you can if an accident is about to happen... as to how much a differnce that laminated glass makes I can't say.

Oh, and yes, the way your salesperson put it was quite foolish. To suggest that a different package is a better built car would make me question his motives. He sounds like he's trying to push you into an Ultra... check out the LS 430 section of the lexus hompage to get the full scoop.

Good luck!
Old 04-01-04, 11:33 AM
eblue
Rookie

better built my ***. classic salesman stupidity coupled with sales commission motivation-don't talk to salemen, they lower your car IQ. just talk to fleet, internet or general managers-you deserve it, you're buying an expensive car. salesmen are mainly there to a) test drive the car b) work you over for increasing selling price over invoice preparatory to final negotiation

you're better off looking at kbb.com or consumerguide.com or the lexus.com to see the difference.

i bought the premium model knowing it was as safe and well built as the ultra

Last edited by eblue; 04-01-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-01-04, 01:39 PM
AggieLS
Pole Position

Default Decision Point

Totally agree with others. I have been evaluating option packages for a while and there is no difference in the build quality. I have no use for the back seat do-dads except for teenagers to drive dad crazy with when they ride with me so the Ultra has been off my list. My decision has been between Custom and Modern and really is based on color availability. Seems a shame they don't offer entire color and interior selection across the line. Maybe its another way to push someone into the higher cost package to get the "nicer" colors combo's.
Old 04-01-04, 01:41 PM
houstonnw
Rookie

The significant option differences in the Ultra Luxury, besides the rear seat stuff, are the laminated glass, auto door closers, air suspension, and laser cruise. The pre-collision system is available in the Ultra Luxury w/ pre-collision and includes radar rather than laser cruise - not available yet as far as I know.

The leather upgrade is required, not included, with the Ultra Luxury or Custom Luxury so you'll pay for it as a separate option.

I "had" to have the laser cruise, so I had to get the Custom Luxury. The door closers are of no interest to me and I can't tell if the laminated glass makes a big difference. The car is very very quiet however.
Old 04-01-04, 07:16 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Ultra comes standard with LexusLink (at least in the '03 it did).
Old 04-06-04, 02:10 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

The difference is the rear seat features, a cabin air filtration, radar cruise, crash detection, double lamitated glass all around and the power door closures.
Lexus Link was discontinued last year, by the way.

The Modern Luxury is more popular selling car because of the lower selling price and you still get the most popular things, like the "Smart key", the 4th generation navigation with backup camera and Bluetooth capability AND Satellite radio capability. Of course, also the Mark Levinson.

The Ultra Luxury is nice if you have the money. During the raging fires over here in the Rancho areas several months back, it was difficult to breathe. I sat in the back of a UL car, turned on the a/c, the seat massagers and rolled up the sunshade. With the air filter thing working, I could actually breath normally for about the 10 minutes I sat there. I have horrible allergies and am very sensitive to pollutions. Also, the "Crash Detection" works only if you have your seat belt on. And in no way does it prevent you form crashing. It prepares the car (and you) for an unavoidable collision.

All LS430's are nice. Is the UN car better built than a SK or PM car? No. Does it have fancier features that you'd love? Absolutely. Good luck.