LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

"Always Live" Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-03, 11:56 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default "Always Live" Cigarette Lighter

I have an '03 LS430. I recently purchased a GARMIN portable GPS system and it works GREAT. That being said, I wish the vehicle had a cigarette lighter that was live even when you turn off the engine. The GPS has to find the satellites. I would like to be able to run into a store for a few minutes with the GPS staying on...as it is now, the cigarette lighter "dies" when you turn off the key. I tried both the "real" lighter and the one inside the center console. Is this something that can be dealer programmed or is it a major rewiring hassle that I wouldn't bother to do?
Old 11-29-03, 01:16 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could just hardwire the thing. Of course you would want to put a switch in the circuit so you turn it off. All you need are a few wires and a simple switch. Just an idea .
Old 11-29-03, 02:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I would opt for a hardwire connector too. I'm considering a GPS unti also...was looking at the Magellan Color and the Garmin one that talks. (Thought that is a bit big for handheld carry IMO.) Your thoughts?
Old 11-29-03, 02:25 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Trust me, this GARMIN STREEPILOT 2630 is EXCELLENT. You can buy it at Circuit City and have 30 days to "test drive" it before committing.
Old 11-29-03, 03:05 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: "Always Live" Cigarette Lighter

Originally posted by daryll40
II wish the vehicle had a cigarette lighter that was live even when you turn off the engine. ... tried both the "real" lighter and the one inside the center console. Is this something that can be dealer programmed or is it a major rewiring hassle that I wouldn't bother to do?
It can't be programmed as it's switched with the Accessory Relay. It can only be rewired and that is what I have done with my 02' L430 plug in the compartment (ashtray) next to the shifter for my cell phone adapter/charger. I picked up constant +12 volts behind the dash radio from pin 1 (blue wire with yellow stripe) on the 20-pin (R2) plug going into the radio. I used a T-tap wire connector and single wire to the pink cigarette lighter wire and It's constant powered now, but fused for 7.5A. Note: I wouldn't plug in anything requiring >5 amps (original cig plug is fused @ 15 amps).

If I had your needs for a constant powered plug, but didn't want it to stay ON making your battery go dead - I'd use a 555 timer relay kit to give me like 1/2 hr. delay after stopping the car before turning the plug off. A kit like this http://www.hobbytron.net/CK157X.html would work good, but you would need to have the knowledge to put it together and use the information I provided above to provide constant power.

Last edited by LS007; 11-29-03 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 10:39 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I do not know of any Lexus dealership that will do that for you. Keeping a "live" cigarette lighter is considered a potential fire hazard to us. This topic has come up before with one of my previous customers. I'm afraid you are on your own on this one.
Old 12-04-03, 02:06 PM
Hugh Jorgan
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Longo Lexus
...Keeping a "live" cigarette lighter is considered a potential fire hazard to us. I'm afraid you are on your own on this one.
A classic Lexus answer: "you are on your own". My Ford F-150 came that way, and my kids love it. I can leave their portable TV/DVD running and I don't have to leave them the keys. Never heard of any Ford pickup catching fire because the lighter socket was always on.

I was given the same response when Lexus messed up my LS with the 3LD "upgrade". I now tell all my friends about the commitment to excellence I got from Lexus and their corporate lawyers posing as service advisors. Damn fine car as long as you like just the way it is... nightmare if you want it "your way".
Old 12-04-03, 02:28 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Exclamation Response to Hugh Jorgan

As a Lexus dealership, officially my hands are tied. I was merely answering the question as to whether this procedure can be performed by a Lexus Service Department. Obviously from the other posts, plenty of people already know how to set the lighter to be on all the time. There are certain rules to which I must abide. Whether or not I agree with them is another matter. As for your Ford F-150, I'm glad you at least got one feature you so obviously enjoy. And if this was back in the early 1900's, I believe Ford's motto was "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

Has anyone seen my 2 cents????

The above statement is an opinion and an opinion only. It is not meant to take seriously and it in no way is it the opinion of Longo Lexus.
Old 07-21-04, 07:36 PM
Galanty
10th Gear

My Lexus Dealer here in Los Angeles converted by LX 450 Cig. Lighter to always be hot ... charge only $75.00, but worth it.

It works great. I keep my cell phone cig. adapter pluged in. No problems in 6 years. Never a dead battery.

It is a really great conversion.
Old 07-23-04, 04:16 PM
jstjohnz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thought on this. Because of having a number of electronic modules operating even when the key is off, battery drain on the LS430 can be a real problem. I have replaced my battery twice because of this. I would be careful not to leave any significant electrical load plugged in to an "always hot" cigarette lighter for an extended period of time, or you may find yourself with a dead battery.

-jim-
Old 03-30-08, 09:27 PM
FremontLex
Driver School Candidate

Default You folks are Nervous Nellies.

That's right. Capital-N, Capital-N. Nervous Nellies. Until Toyota/Lexus (or perhaps their *lawyers*? ;-) decided we couldn't survive with cigarette lighter outlets that functioned with the ignition turned off, *every* American car would work without requiring the key to be in the ignition.

Oh, and that was for *all* the colors, not just black.

Lexus snobbery. Sheesh! I *love* our RX300, but it *is* in fact just an *automobile*. It won't cure cancer or find a solution for peace in the Middle East.

I'm getting ready to "risk" an "always-live" power outlet for the same GPS-related reasons. Wish me luck and hope that I don't burn my house (and Lexus) down!
Old 04-13-08, 07:58 PM
ggardner
Driver School Candidate

My Garmin 340c will ask if you want to switch to internal battery each time the ignition is turned off.
Originally Posted by RA40
I would opt for a hardwire connector too. I'm considering a GPS unti also...was looking at the Magellan Color and the Garmin one that talks. (Thought that is a bit big for handheld carry IMO.) Your thoughts?
Old 04-13-08, 08:12 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jstjohnz
One thought on this. Because of having a number of electronic modules operating even when the key is off, battery drain on the LS430 can be a real problem. I have replaced my battery twice because of this. I would be careful not to leave any significant electrical load plugged in to an "always hot" cigarette lighter for an extended period of time, or you may find yourself with a dead battery.

-jim-

TRUE, If you are making a lighter always HOT. Make sure you disconnect the ignition powered wire in the lighter socket harness. Otherwise it will power all the other items in the same fuse line and start to drain the battery pretty rapidly as cigar lighter won't be the only thing powered when ignition is cold.

The best way to do this, though cumbersome is to run a new fused wire from the battery so you isolate the lighter from any other circuits. LS430 and most modern post-2000 cars are very carefully loaded on electricals after the fuses and with thin wires, so leaving them alone and getting a new battery source is the best way. Another option is to use a inline 12V battery in your GPS harness BEFORE the lighter socket...to keep memory from losing power much like how a cell phone would work. (be sure to use a unidirectional isolator so you won't end up trying to charge this battery though from the lighter.)