LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hood shock/strut fix (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 11:39 AM
pishta
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXREXNET
IT's cheaper just to get the recharged. Cost me $99AUD for the pair!
How, there is no fitting? I took my flat one apart and there is just an O ring on the piston and 3 bleed holes for the gas to vent through to give you a dampened expansion. The sealing is where the rod does into the cylinder, Im sure it is an O ring too, that gets old and hard and leaks all the gas out. My one pass side was still pretty firm so I weighed the expansion force on a scale. I pushed slowly down on it and it maintained a even 50 lb force, it varied a little lower at the extreme (maybe to not jar the hood at end-travel) end but you could probably be safe to say that it is a 50 lb strut (in my 15 year old car) . so if you wanted to get an OEM designed strut you may want to look for a 21x12@50lb strut with ball ends.
Old 09-21-07, 11:07 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went the Autozone route with the same hod struts. They are very good, however, they are VERY,VERY strong. When I had both of them on at the same time, I literally had to jump on the hood to close the damn things. I am 6', 250 plus and I had to put my arms into it. I tok one of them off and only had 1 side installed. This was still strong enuff to support the hood with no problem, however, I noticed that it was pushing the hood up on 1 side and it was causing a concern for me. I essentially just ordered a set from Ebay for the LS and have had no problems. Only issue I had with the ebay hod struts was one of them leaked prematurely and I had to send it back. Got another one in exchange and everything is all good now. For $50 for the pair, I chose to go the ebay route. I still have my autozone struts,, just in case I need them. The AutoZone struts are not true hood struts but if you read the reference manual and sometimes the packaging, they are struts for a hatch. Hatch being the rear tailgate of an SUV, wagon, Hatchback car in which more weight is rested open them, aiding in the ease of closing them down.

Azari,, where are you located in MD? I am in Baltimore, when I am home. Your should come and check out the NELOC forum, here. There are alot of local outings that we have, and would like for you to join us.

Last edited by trukn1; 09-21-07 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 11:44 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the eBay struts and aside from a little up and down play on the bottom hinges, they're pretty much perfect.
Old 09-21-07, 01:44 PM
docdgt@com
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To replace the two hood struts for the Gen II I bought in November last, I ordered them from FIGS Engineering, 1310 5th St., Golden, Colorado 80403.

They cost $69.65 for the pair, plus $12.95 s&h, for a total of $82.90.

I propped up the hood with a broomstick and pried them off; it was not too difficult (removing one side and replacing it with one of the new ones); then, the other side, of course. They seem to be European and are almost matches for the OEM struts, except the casing is not chromed. It was a relatively easy installation.

They have been just about as good as they could be expected to be, I think.

You might be able to view them at eBay Item #:150057706950 if you are interested.

Good luck!!

Don Tomlin
Old 11-15-07, 12:33 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hood Struts by Asin for 1st & 2nd Generation LS

I searched here first & tried the NAPA route. The clip on connectors do not provide sufficient range of motion if you use the connectors included on the gas shock originally recomended here.

Thought I could engineer around that but I was rapidly going backwards. It is possible but you would need to change some connectors.

Note: Napa now offers a different part # than I found here & it looks like it would work but it was over $100.00 for a pair. NAPA was also nice enough to give me cash back with no receipt for the legitimate gas struts I walked in with.

Ended up ordering Asin Strut #B000PTOLE2 for a UCF-10, 1990-94 LS.

All hardware is included (Ball Studs that work!) & connected so it is bolt off & bolt on replacement. They are even labeled LH & RH.

They sell primarily on Ebay so
I am not a pioneer here but they also sell direct.

http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/
866-841-7776

I ordered 3 total pairs from these guys & so far have installed 2 sets.
One pair on my 94 & one pair on a 96 LS (not the same part #!!)

If I had ordered all 3 sets at once my order would have been slightly over $100.00 & shipping would have been free!!

Live & learn I guess.

Last set will go on a 90 LS that had originally gone the NAPA route.

Last edited by RA40; 10-24-18 at 01:48 AM. Reason: dead link removed
Old 11-15-07, 06:26 AM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that link! I bought some junk off ebay that was advertised for my 1990 and they didn't even come close to fitting correctly and they dented my hood.

Here is the direct link for the 90-94 struts which are item # H211.
Old 11-15-07, 09:17 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

The Asin Hood Strut solution fits exactly as OEM on both 1st & 2nd generation LS400's. Order appropriately for your year!

All hardware is as shown in the pictures & comes as a complete assembly. All you do is attach to the hood & attach to the two fenders.

Upon opening the hood you cannot force it up with muscle power. The shocks prefer to go up at their own rate.
Old 11-20-07, 08:56 AM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

I received mine yesterday I ordered on the 15th, so they sent them out very quickly. I installed them this morning and they fit and work just like the originals. I love it when a product is as advertised.
Old 11-21-07, 07:41 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default My Fleet is covered

Finished with the 90 model yesterday.

I would have to guess that in reality nobody is wearing out their oem hood struts. After all who exactly is doing what under a LS400 hood that would require that many reps??

My guess is that the gas inside the strut either leaks or changes properties as they age. Nice to have them functional again at a reasonable price!
Old 11-21-07, 12:04 PM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

I would guess the high heat and then the cold is what kills them.
Old 12-06-07, 07:13 PM
TBone12
Rookie

Default hood struts

I have a 96 ls 400 and the hood struts went out. i took it to my local lexus dealership and they order replacements. I am getting them installed today and should have it back friday.
Old 12-10-07, 09:45 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TBone12
I have a 96 ls 400 and the hood struts went out. i took it to my local lexus dealership and they order replacements. I am getting them installed today and should have it back friday.
Definitely let us know the price--guess would be ~$2-300 for Parts and Labor!
Old 12-10-07, 01:43 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i use that ebay stuff. works purdie good until your hood knock you out haha. i notice the hood strut on ebay are like stupid industrial. thats why it leaves a lil dent into your hood. but o wellps haha i cant afford to pay 80 bucks a strut for my hood so thats 160 bucks to cover both sides of your hood and maybe another 120 for an hour of labor. can always buy the part yourself and do it yourself only takes a few minutes. just make sure you got someone to hold up the hood fo ya . its prettyy darn heavy

Last edited by PK_Celsior; 12-10-07 at 01:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-15-07, 11:27 AM
TBone12
Rookie

i dont know the price of the struts right now because i havent gotten the bill back yet, but as soon i do i will let you know
Old 12-15-07, 12:16 PM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

Damn, must be nice to just tell someone to fix the problem and bill you later without wondering the cost.

Quick Reply: Hood shock/strut fix (The Mother thread)