LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bluetooth or not??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 03:21 PM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bluetooth or not??

Ive been playing around with the bluetooth system for about a week now. It took forever to transfer my phone book from my Nokia 6310i to the nav unit. I had to transfer each entry one at a time. The bluetooth connection would often, for no apparent reason, disconnect. I even called Nokia support, but they offered no help. Also, there is no voice command for the phone system. My '01 LS430 had a voice activated phone!! Im considering going to a cradle mounted phone of some type, but Im not sure if a non-Bluetooth phone will integrate with the nav unit. Its kinda frustrating.....
Old 10-08-03, 07:22 PM
carguyay
Rookie

Smile Thanks

Mine is on order. Thanks for the heads up. Let me know how thigns work out. Heck it will take me for ever just to begin to understand everything.
Old 10-08-03, 10:08 PM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem, I am not sure what the problem is though - I am using a Nokia 8910i - but I also have to transfer one at a time. I read somewhere that it supports data products - wonder if you need a PDA to dump the entire addressbook in one go as it seems to be a limitation from the phone and not the nav system as Nokia does not seem to have a "send entires addressbook via bluetooth"

Voice commands - I have not had time to read the manual yet - but again I read that the nav system does support voice commands - just not sure how and if it is true? (perhaps they refer to the fact that the system can 'speak' the navigation commands?)

Any input here would be appreciated.

Cheers
Klaus
Old 10-09-03, 12:29 AM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution to Bluetooth phonebook

Hi,

I found a solution - if you have a PDA or a PC with bluetooth you can simply transfer your phonebook from your mobile to the PDA and then in Contacts select all and send via bluetooth and then you have everything in your phonebook in one go.

Cheers
Klaus
Old 10-09-03, 01:34 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow... you LS guys have all the cool stuff. I envy you all.
Old 10-11-03, 09:17 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

The Sony Ericsson T68i "Bluetooth" phone allows you to transfer your entire phone book at once.
Old 10-11-03, 11:41 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

I purchased a Nokia 3650 phone and am having the same problem of having to transfer one phone number at a time. I confirmed with Nokia that there is no way to transfer the entire phone book at once. My T-Mobile rep is telling me he can get the Sony Ericcson phone, but the phone is old and has a lot of reception problems. He said almost every one he has sold has been returned by the customers.

I wonder if anyone else has found a solution to this. It seems like the Bluetooth technology is still in its infancy stage, and a lot of these problems have not been worked through before releasing it to the public.

What makes no sense to me is why you can't just enter names and phone numbers directly into the car through the navigation screen. That would be far easier than doing this bluetooth transfer one number at a time.
Old 10-11-03, 03:43 PM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

exbimmer,

Have you figured out away to voice activate the bluetooth phone in your LS? Without voice activation, I think this phone system is no good. My previous LS had a voice activated phone!!...
Old 10-11-03, 07:19 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

I have not played with the voice activation much. In general, it does not seem to work at all for me.

After playing with the Nokia 3650 phone all day, I have concluded that it is not going to work, and I will be returning it. The sound quality was just not good enough to be useable. Every person who I spoke with complained they could barely hear me, and every few seconds I cut out. The conversations I heard through the speakers also sounded garbled. Just to make sure it was not a weak cell signal, I unplugged the phone from the handsfree system and continued the conversation directly through the phone, and each time the person on the other end confirmed that my speech was perfect when speaking directly into the phone. I could hear them perfectly as well.

I'm not sure if the handsfree feature in this car is just not that good, or if maybe the Nokia 3650 just is not fully compatible. I would be interested to hear from people who have used other phones to see if they have noticed any degradation in sound quality versus speaking directly into the phone.

I would also be curious to know if anyone has tried a bluetooth adapter to see if they can make a non-bluetooth phone be recognized by the handsfree system.
Old 10-11-03, 09:59 PM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

The sound quality is pefectly fine with me (using a 8910i) but the problem of transfering phonebook entries remains with that phone. I transferred the phonebook using an iPaq pda with Bluetooth and that worked very well. Since it is Bluetooth I guess any phone will work and even a data device like a PC/PDA.

The beauty is that you can now just change your phone anytime unlike previous models.

Voice commands is not available to my knowledge - but you do have 18 1-touch dials which works fine

Klaus
Old 10-12-03, 08:00 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

Have you asked the people on the other end how the sound quality is? It seems like my phone is acting like a typical speakerphone - cutting off words due to its inability to handle duplex communications. This problem generally only exists on really cheap speakerphones though. I'm a bit surprised I was having this problem on equipment in a Lexus. I suppose it's possible the 3650 just was not fully compatible with the car.

Is the 8910i a new phone? I can't find it listed as being available by T-Mobile or AT&T.
Old 10-12-03, 09:57 AM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

Yes it is perfect in the receiver end too. I am not residing in the US - but you can check it out on nokia.com.

In one call it was a bit bad, but seems it was due to the fact that the ac was on full speed. Remember the mic is located near the sunroof.

Klaus
Old 10-15-03, 04:23 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Default bluetooth

Has anyone figured-out how to use the voice command to make a call? My car is due next week, I have changed phones to a Nokia 6310i and would appreciate any suggestions
Old 10-15-03, 09:14 PM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

I have not tried the 6310i - but a few others and not been able to make voice dial. Only way seems to be the one-touch numbers (if you are driving you will not have access to the entire phonebook - only one touch of which there are 17 + last outgoing or incoming call)

If it is to work at all - the only way should be by pressing and holding the Phone button on the left side of the steering - but nothing happens except the phone screen comes up on the nav.

Cheers
Klaus
Old 10-18-03, 08:12 AM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

I have now tried the 6310i too - same fuctionality as 8910i - so I doubt sync of phonebook and voice control exist..

Cheers
Klaus