LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

FYI Sattelite radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 05:57 AM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI Sattelite radio

The dealer must install some hardware before XM radio can be activated on your LS...Learned this yesterday when I was to pick up my 04 LS ultraluxury...will pick it up today if the XM hardware gets installed.....
Old 09-30-03, 11:15 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Did your dealer call the part a name, such as "XM tuner" or quote you a price? Or does the XM part just come free of charge with your '04 when you tell them you want to subscribe to XM radio? Do they need to install a XM antenna, please tell us where and what it looks like. Of course also how the XM user interface works.

Sorry for so many questions...
Old 09-30-03, 11:19 AM
fiftyfive4
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm also interested

Originally posted by VideoNavi
Did your dealer call the part a name, such as "XM tuner" or quote you a price? Or does the XM part just come free of charge with your '04 when you tell them you want to subscribe to XM radio? Do they need to install a XM antenna, please tell us where and what it looks like. Of course also how the XM user interface works.

Sorry for so many questions...
TestnDoc - Please keep us posted. It will be great if you can respond to VideoNavi's questions mentioned above.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-03, 11:26 AM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys...the hardware cost is $600.00, which my dealer ate...I will post answers to your questions after I pick up my car today or tomorrow....
Old 09-30-03, 02:40 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to add XM to my car as well (2004 LS430 UL). My dealer said they had never installed one before and did not even have any pictures to show me. They mentioned around $600.00 plus labor. Apparently you need to add an external antenna as well. I had an aftermarket antenna on my last car with a Sirius radio. The antenna was mounted on the trunk with a sticky adhesive. After one trip through the car wash, it came completely unglued and has flopped around ever since.

Could someone who completes the installation shed some more light on what products are being used, what the antenna looks like, and how it affixes to the car. Hopefully the install has a more custom look than the Circuit City type after market products.
Old 10-01-03, 05:09 AM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Update.....

Picked my LS today...what an awesome machine...smooth, faster, more quite than my 01 LS..Got the XM radio installed...It integrates into the navigation/stereo head unit very nicely, and I have 3 SAT channel modes(18 total stations I can store). The quality of the music is unreal..sounds as good as a CD..now...the only negative, and its a big negative is the antenna...It is a 3" by 3", black and square, and is mounted on the drivers side of the trunk, and does not look that great. Apparently this is where lexus is telling the technicians to mount it. I asked the lexus dealership manager to see if other mounting locations will work, preferrably on the interior back shelf.
On another note, my new LS has an ashtray kit, which I dont like or want. My 01 LS did not have an ashtray kit...anyone know if I can get a nonsmoking kit?
Old 10-01-03, 05:16 AM
exBMWowner
Driver

My dealer made the same comment about mounting it on the driver's side. That makes no sense. It should be centered on the trunk as close to the rear windshield as possible. If anyone finds out why they are recommending th driver's side location, please let us know. I agree that would look very odd to place there. Do you know if the antenna uses adhesive for mounting? If so, it will likely come off after the first car wash.
Old 10-01-03, 10:03 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the information Testndoc. The size of the antenna doesn't sound all that bad, even the smallest Terk XM3 antenna is Width: 2.62 inches, Length: 3.25 inches and Height: 1 inch. I'm surprised by the Lexus recommend drivers side trunk location too, must be the easiest route for the antenna wire ! IMHO the best mounting location would be the roof, forward of aft the existing antenna with wire routed into the existing antenna base. This would provide the highest point with the largest ground plane. More importantly if living in a area with low southern horizon to the XM satellites (northern states) it would yield the highest signal strength. The rear shelf is also an acceptable location (according to many people on www.clubxm.com), but the antenna is probably dependent on metal ground plane so make sure it's mounted above metal, not your rear area vents or subwoofer grill.

Thanks again for all the information. Now to see if this XM tuner will fit into a '02 system.

Last edited by LS007; 10-07-03 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-07-03, 05:49 AM
Jennifer G

Default satellite readio

TestnDoc:

Any further news on your satellite radio problems? I have an LS430 on order right now, and I will be the first at my dealer to have the sat radio installed. Can you post pics of your unsightly antenna? How is the sound quality of the sat radio? Do you have the Mark Levinson stereo?

And, since you are the only person I know with a new LS430, any other insights into this car? Don't know how long I will have to wait for mine, as all the cars coming in now are with the Euro Sport suspension (which I don't want), or I might buy a demo with 400 miles, fully loaded.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-07-03, 06:53 AM
TestnDoc
Driver School Candidate

Jennifer,

Sat. radio is awesome. Yes, I have the ultraluxurxy LS with Mark Levinson, and the audio quality is as good as a digitally mastered CD. The only negative is the mounting of the sat radio antenna on my trunk. My dealer had not gotten back to me on if or where another mounting location will be, Personally, I think it will work fine, being mounted on the inside rear shelf. All in all, I highly recommend it. I will try to post a pic or if you like I could try to email you one.

As far as the car itself, it is unreal. The new 6 speed transmission is silky smooth. The car seems more quiet than my 01 LS430 as well. I didnt want the Euro tuned car either, and find the ride of my car just right for local commuting and for a road trip.

Good luck with your LS !!
Old 10-13-03, 04:48 PM
exBMWowner
Driver

Could anyone who has completed the installation of the XM Satellite Radio in an 04 LS430 let me know how much the dealer charged. I keep getting approximate pricing from the dealer, which makes me nervous. They are quoting me $600.00 for the parts, plus a "couple of hours" of labor, with a total estimate of $800.00. Is this what other dealers are quoting? I had a Sirius radio installed in my BMW, and parts and labor came to around $250.00 from Circuit City, so I'm having a hard time understanding why it cost so much money to add XM to a Lexus.
Old 10-14-03, 06:53 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Sounds like the factory cell phones of days of yore. I never went for them...always got them installed at Circuit City for about 1/4 the price.
Old 10-14-03, 07:23 AM
Jennifer G

I know what you mean, but when you are installing the system into a very complex Nav system, I wouldn't trust a place like Best Buy, Circuit City. AND, it very well could void your warranty on your Lexus nav system.

Sure you could install an additional unit to run your XM, but why, when you can incorporate it into your touch screen?

Just my .02
Old 10-14-03, 07:31 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I agree totally. So does Lexus. That's why they created a monopoly for themselves with regard to XM installation. And why they'll get the big bucks for them to integrate it properly for you. My point was the same about the cell phone. They used to do a nice job with the integrated cell phone for big bucks. Or you could have a "drilled in" cell phone for much cheaper. I went with "drilled in" but agree that it's much better to have "integrated". Just more costly.
Old 10-14-03, 10:05 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't trust a place like Best Buy, Circuit City. AND, it very well could void your warranty on your Lexus nav system.
You shouldn't because they cannot install an aftermarket XM other than using a cassette adapter without seriously modifying your car. And that probably would void the warranty on the affected systems. If BB, CC, or the like ever tells you they can, take your car and run away as fast as you can.

Quick Reply: FYI Sattelite radio