LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Pictures of Moonstone anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 05:44 PM
senneca01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of Moonstone anyone?

Hey everyone, newbie here!

Does anyone have any nice pictures of what Moonstone looks like? I am looking at buying a 1996 LS400 that is Moonstone, but the car is about 200 miles away and the owner doesn't have any pictures of it. The owner is asking $12,900 for it with 66k miles, and it is supposed to be in superb condition. Is this what moonstone looks like below? This is the only picture I could find on the net. I am not sure? Please help a new guy out...thanks.

BTW, is moonstone a metallic like color or a pearl color? What makes it look pearl?

Old 09-24-03, 10:34 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moonstone was a very popular color for the 1995-1997 cars. A quick search of eBay netted me several cars of that vintage and color. I've posted links so you can examine them (for information only, I have no connection with these whatsoever, I'm just an enthusiast.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=14240

"Pearl" means an interference in the paint that causes light to sparkle. It can be a metallic flake or sand particles (mica). Some pearlescent paints have a separate base coat, pearl coat, and clearcoat (3-stage paint). The only Lexus colors I can think of with the 3 stage paint are the older Diamond White Pearl and the newer Crystal White/White Gold Crystal).

Good luck with the car, wish I had come across a deal like that when shopping for my 96 ES last year, I'd have a nice V8 under the hood right now
Old 09-25-03, 07:30 AM
senneca01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great info.

The guy also says that the interior is "Ivory." What does that look like exactly?

TIA...
Old 09-25-03, 09:09 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're welcome. The first two links above are cars with the Ivory interior (the third car has the gray interior). It's a very nice beige, I personally like the Moonstone/Ivory over the Moonstone/Gray myself
Old 05-25-16, 05:43 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, that's a classy way to revive an old thread. Nice find and nice looking car for that vintage. Very hard to find them that old and that nice. You got really lucky.

Last edited by Legender; 05-25-16 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 07:20 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JALS400
I know this thread is over a decade old, but wanted to revive this thread for all the moonstone pearl UCF20's. I just picked up a 95' with 123k miles. Bone stock. Immaculate interior. Still has the Genuine Lexus Leather tag on the passenger seat. Carpet floor mats were still in bubble wrap. Lot's of work to do to it. Looking forward to the process.

holy cow.. you NEVER see early ucf20s THAT nice anymore. looks like it was never driven. for the love of god don't hack it up too bad. ditch the clad rims and maybe put an exaust on it but try to leave it alone as much as you can. cars like this always have a story behind them. whered you find it?
Old 05-25-16, 09:55 AM
JALS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I got blessed big time with this. It was a craigslist find out here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Believe it or not I'm actually the 3rd owner. 1st owner was a doctor who drove it 90k in 12 years, then he sold it to his best friend - whom I bought it from. The 2nd owner only put 30k on it in 9 years. It was their weekend car.

The best part, I got it for $1000. That's a story in and of itself.
Old 05-25-16, 10:03 AM
JALS400
Driver School Candidate

BTW, I don't plan on hacking it up. This is now my daily driver. I work 1.5 miles away from work. Beautiful commute. The original owner changed the timing belt and water pump at 75k, so I'm going to be safe and just do another major maintenance service and get everything fresh very soon. The power steering pump has also just started leaking several months ago, so I have a good amount of to-do-list items. Needs new tires, brakes, and a really good detail with a few touch up spots. Once everything is up to par, I'll source some LS430 18" OEM's and possibly some coilovers. But thats all for her...for now.
Old 05-25-16, 11:07 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

wow that's a beauty! yea definitely don't make it some hack job. and i'd say get the 17" LS 430 wheels for that body style. it'll ride better, and i don't think the more sporty 18's really go as well with the more classical look of the 95-97. and if you don't lower it the proportions will be a bit off.
Old 05-25-16, 03:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Every time you drive it, it runs the chance of major damage. These cars seem to weather the years very well lack of rust etc. Even the old paint holds up great if taken care of. Good find.
Old 05-25-16, 05:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

For future reference a forum member (scionlife) has created a very handy reference for the factory paint colors.

www.toyotareference.com/lexusls/1995-2000
Old 05-25-16, 06:11 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by JALS400
I know this thread is over a decade old, but wanted to revive this thread for all the moonstone pearl UCF20's. I just picked up a 95' with 123k miles. Bone stock. Immaculate interior. Still has the Genuine Lexus Leather tag on the passenger seat. Carpet floor mats were still in bubble wrap. Lot's of work to do to it. Looking forward to the process.
Very nice find. Enjoy the car; it is yours.

No matter what, I would leave that Lexus leather tag there, though. I've never seen one before, and it's likely the only known one left that hasn't been removed. Would you be willing to take a closer picture of it? I'm curious about the details.

Glad I saw this, and great story.
Old 05-25-16, 10:11 PM
JALS400
Driver School Candidate

@ dicer - yes, very true. Unfortunately, the top of the front bumper (the moonstone pearl) and corner of the rear deck lid is suffering from a little fading. I'll be doing some detail work soon and possibly some DIY touch up.

@ CELSIOR - Thank you, I surely will. I will definitely leave the Lexus tag and I can take a picture for you tomorrow.
Old 05-26-16, 08:21 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

would love to hear the $1,000 story. That is ridiculous. Saw this on CL for $3200 which I believe is a good price for the car. Do tell
Old 05-26-16, 08:57 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

sounds like a plan man. and a good one at that! nice examples of these are getting harder and harder to find. much like the story of mine. it was also a doctors car but the doctor had it for its entire life till I got it. it was his DD for the first 5 or so years till the Ls430 came out and then he put it away for several years, and then it became a condo car in south florida for a good ten years before I got it. prob the only thing that saved it.

Quick Reply: Pictures of Moonstone anyone?