LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Old 05-01-06, 08:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kalbo_1
Hey Shawn -

I think there might be an issue with the Bilsteins spring perch set to "Low" in the fronts and using 45+ series tires?

I'm just waiting for someone to confirm that it wouldn't be a problem and I'll go with options that I originally picked: Bilstein/Eibach. SC430 wheels with 245/45/18.

What wheels are you running and why did you opt for the stock width? I think the sidewall height would have more effect from the road than the width?

- Mike

Actually, 01-05 SC430 wheels will not fit on 95+ LS400 in the front without spacers.
Old 05-01-06, 09:01 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been kicking myself in the rear for the past 2 hours since I just realized that those wheels will not fit properly w/o the use of spacers!!!

For some reason, I didn't realize to think that there was a brake clearance difference between the 94 and the 95-97 models.

Now I have wheels that I paid for that will not even fit!!! That's what you call a D---A-- move!!!
I can't beiieve I just did that.
Old 05-02-06, 06:04 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run a Tokico Hp blue shock with the H&R spring setup on my 92. Ride is really goodand rubbing is not an issue for me except over large bumps. I really cant fully evaluate my system because I have some other suspension issues that are being addressed (strut mounts, bushings....) and overall I run a tire that is 1" too big for my drop profile,225/60/16 (should have run 225/50/16). This tire size is great for stock setup clearance wise, no rubbing and can turn from end to end no problem, However at 1" lower with the H&R's, I really only have to worry about rubbing over large bumps and that is in the top of the wheel well.
Old 05-02-06, 10:33 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kalbo_1
Hey Shawn -

I think there might be an issue with the Bilsteins spring perch set to "Low" in the fronts and using 45+ series tires?

I'm just waiting for someone to confirm that it wouldn't be a problem and I'll go with options that I originally picked: Bilstein/Eibach. SC430 wheels with 245/45/18.

What wheels are you running and why did you opt for the stock width? I think the sidewall height would have more effect from the road than the width?

- Mike
Mike the 45 tire is 1" taller than the 40...........so on the car ,tire to wheel well is 1/2' difference, so the upper setting for 45s would be better choice..............remember your car is a 2nd gen so people with 1st gen advice will not help you they are different .
Old 05-02-06, 10:39 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Mike the 45 tire is 1" taller than the 40...........so on the car ,tire to wheel well is 1/2' difference, so the upper setting for 45s would be better choice..............remember your car is a 2nd gen so people with 1st gen advice will not help you they are different .
Also the size from the strut groove to groove is not equal to height difference it makes on the car, the effect on the car height is much more.
Old 05-02-06, 11:17 AM
kalbo_1
Rookie

I'm very thankful to all the knowledgeable people o this board! Lexkost, let me know what you decide on what to do with your suspension.
Old 05-02-06, 11:23 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Mike,
Steveski here. I have H&R lowering springs on my 95 LS. They lowered the vehicle about 1.0". The front looks (and is lower) than the rear. I have the stock struts still as they are not worn. Just the springs made a huge difference in ride and stance.

As for tires, I have 18 x 8.5 (245's) on the front and 18 x 9.5 (275's) on the rear. No rubbing problems at all.

I know you can get a strut tower brace and aftemarket bushing replacements (don't know if they would make a substantial difference. Also there are suspension mods from Tom's that cost under $1,000. Again, I don't know if they make a huge difference but will invest in them to try them out.

I will likely go with BillStein struts as they state a 30% increase in performance over stock. I will let you know how they work out.

Let me know please what other performance mods you find bud.

Here's my ride as it is today:
Attached Thumbnails Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)-ls-widebody3a.jpg  
Old 05-02-06, 12:22 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Bilstein
Old 05-02-06, 01:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Bilsteins are nice if you keep the wheel weight close to stock. I've got some replies around here about the exact wheel and tire weights when I changed mine. You'll have to do a search.

The Tein CS's with the adjustable dampening is a big +. The 52# combo on mine is at the limit for good compression and rebound with the Bilstein/Eibach. IMO. To me it could benefit form stiffer dampening or a slightly higher spring rate. Anycase, you will further loose ride quality.

For a short spell I debated going to a 17 or fidning some way to reduce to unsprung weight. This might be offset by a two piece rotor combo. The stock 4 piston calipers are pretty light...like 8#'s so there would be few cost effective alternatives there.

The Bilsteins are heavy...like 1# more than the stock struts. Same with the Eibach springs at maybe 1.5#'s. So by the itme you finish with all this stuff, you are likely adding some 8-10#'s of rotational mass and 4#'s per corner in the suspenion.

Last edited by RA40; 06-09-06 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 01:26 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

I think the consensus is to go with the Bilsteins. I've had experience with Bilsteins before but on a different car and they performed well.

I might be acquiring a complete used set of Bilsteins/Eibach? I'll keep you guys posted!

By the way, anyone out there running 245/35/20 with a 1" drop? Any rubbing issue while making turns? Comments?

Thanks for all the inputs and keep them coming!
Old 05-04-06, 12:25 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Default 95-97 L Sportline Springs available?

I was surfing Ltunedparts.com and saw that they still have L Sportline Springs listed for the 95-97's. I called Carson Toyota to confirm but their parts guy is out. I went ahead and ordered them anyway. I just received an email confirmation that they will be shipping them shortly.

If this is true and they do send me the right springs, this is definitely a good deal considering Eibach's for those years are discontinued. Final price was $119+$11 shipping in CA.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers that they are the right springs? I'll keep everyone posted. Anyone have a part number from their old set?

Last edited by kalbo_1; 05-04-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 05:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That's a good deal. I paid $200 for the Pro Kit way back.

What I'd like to learn is the part #'s for the Bilsteins that were included in the LSportline suspension kit. Those Bilsteins had three snap ring settings where the book replacement has 2. Not that i wnat mine any lower but it is a curosity.
Old 05-04-06, 11:43 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

I bet those L Sportline/Bilstein's are the exact same ones as the book replacement but just with an added perch groove, and maybe just a smaller increments in between the grooves?

Someone has to have those..................... Anyone???
Old 06-09-06, 09:47 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
The Bilsteins are nice if you keep the wheel weight close to stock. I've got some replies around here about the exact wheel and tire weights when I changed mine. You'll have to do a search.

The Tein CS's with the adjustable dampening is a big +. The 52# combo on mine is at the limit for good compression and rebound with the Bilstein/Eibach. IMO. To me it could benefit form stiffer dampening or a slightly higher spring rate. Anycase, you will further loose ride quality.

For a short spell I debated going to a 17 or fidning some way to reduce to unsprung weight. This might be offset by a two piece rotor combo. The stock 4 piston calipers are pretty light...like 5#'s so there would be few cost effective alternatives there.

The Bilsteins are heavy...like 1# more than the stock struts. Same with the Eibach springs at maybe 1.5#'s. So by the itme you finish with all this stuff, you are likely adding some 8-10#'s of rotational mass and 4#'s per corner in the suspenion.

Thanks for the info - very detailed. I have H&R springs/ Bilsteins and just added a Tom's strut tower brace......never thought about the weight differences - and my wheels have got to be heavier (18 x 8.5 front and 18 x 9.5 rear). Although it handles great now I bet it would be even better if the weight were reduced
Old 06-09-06, 11:59 AM
lexodude
Pole Position

Default Lowering 98LS Springs/shocks??

Hey im thinking of getting H&R performance springs and KYB-GR2 shocks. Is this a good combo or is there something else i should go for , i want it to be lowered 1-1.5" . Heres what my ls looks like now

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Attached Thumbnails Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)-2235857_12_full.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)