LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-05, 01:50 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Eibach is aware of this issue but relies on the installers to use their own material to fix the problem. It is aggrivating yet fortunately, it is an easy fix.

These insulators should be availabe through any Tein dealer. Measure the thickness of your spring as there are three different sizes based on the diameter in mm.
Old 07-29-05, 12:45 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation California Custom Lowering Springs Review...

Hey guys,

Many of you a few months back wanted my review of the California Custom lowering springs for the 1st Gen LS 400's. Here you go:

Back in May I purchased the Tokico gas shocks and California Custom 2" drop lowering springs for my 1991 LS 400 through E-Bay, and I must admit, the ride quality is EXCELLENT! Don't let the 2" drop scare you. The car sits very nicely above all tires. There's still about 1.5" to 2" of space in between each tire and wheel well. Then again, I still have the stock 15" rims. But I'm sure even when I get 19" or 20" rims it will still sit nicely above each rim and tire.

I was so surprised to find out that I almost couldn't tell the difference in feel between the Tokico shocks + California Custom lowering springs setup versus the stock setup. I can feel a LITTLE more stiffness when going over bumps in the road but it's still not bad at all. My girl honestly can't tell the difference.

All in all, if you are not going to purchase a coilover setup right now I personally and highly recommend the Tokico HP gas shocks + California Custom 2" lowering springs combo. Here are the links to them on E-Bay:

California Custom 2" Lowering Springs for the 90-94 LS 400's:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...spagenameZWDVW

Tokico HP Shocks for the 90-94 LS 400's:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW

*NOTE: An actual photo of the springs are not provided in the auction, however, if you send a message to the seller he will e-mail you an actual pic. They are red in color and look awesome in combination with the blue Tokico shocks.

You WILL NOT find Tokico gas shocks or quality lowering springs for the 1st Gen LS 400's this cheap anywhere! I gaurantee it.

Hope you guys enjoyed the review. It wasn't much, but I hope it inspired!

Last edited by Celsior2K5; 07-29-05 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 02:11 PM
absolut
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about buy the tokico shocks but I was worried about the ride quality.

I have first gen LS also (same year) and I want to put 20's on it, how well will 20's fit with this setup? Will they rub?
Old 07-29-05, 05:39 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation About your 20" rims...

Originally Posted by absolut
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about buy the tokico shocks but I was worried about the ride quality.

I have first gen LS also (same year) and I want to put 20's on it, how well will 20's fit with this setup? Will they rub?
From what I've heard the max you should go are 19" or 20" rims on the 1st Gen LS 400's...personally, I wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 20" rims or you will just make your LS 400 look extremely whacked out and ghetto with NO class. I live in the dirty south where 22" or 24" rims are notorious on otherwise beautiful LS 400's (and other sedans)...YUCK! Since you have an LS 400 you definitely need to rock it with some class bro. Hence, my team's motto: Street with Class.

I could not tell you whether or not 20" rims will rub, however, I have not heard any complaints as of yet. If you get the Tokico shocks I highly recommend getting those California Custom 2" lowering springs I was talking about to complete the setup. They work great...and I'm telling you that straight from personal experience.

P.S. I'm probably going with 19" rims because they'll look just as good and will be somewhat cheaper than 20" rims.

Last edited by Celsior2K5; 07-29-05 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 06:05 PM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on 19's on Tanabe springs. i rub due to the lower offset of the rear wheels. My review of the Tokico's...they SUCK! Mine blew out on me after about 4 months. Tanabe is an aggressive drop, but the rate is decent. Perhaps if these California Customs have a decent stiff spring to keep up with the valving of the strut...then it might be nice.

Just my thoughts...
Chris
Old 07-29-05, 06:55 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by chris_sa
I'm on 19's on Tanabe springs. i rub due to the lower offset of the rear wheels. My review of the Tokico's...they SUCK! Mine blew out on me after about 4 months. Tanabe is an aggressive drop, but the rate is decent. Perhaps if these California Customs have a decent stiff spring to keep up with the valving of the strut...then it might be nice.

Just my thoughts...
Chris
These California Customs are pretty decent stiff springs and everything is holding up really well. My sponsor also has Tanabe lowering springs and Tokico gas shocks on 19" rims and his LS 400 is holding up very well. What kind of driving do you do in your LS 400 and how did you find out your shock(s) blew? Did all of your Tokico's blow out on you?
Old 07-29-05, 07:38 PM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Celsior2K5
These California Customs are pretty decent stiff springs and everything is holding up really well. My sponsor also has Tanabe lowering springs and Tokico gas shocks on 19" rims and his LS 400 is holding up very well. What kind of driving do you do in your LS 400 and how did you find out your shock(s) blew? Did all of your Tokico's blow out on you?
Hey what's up! I do standard commute driving in the LS. The struts started leaking and the ride went to hell. It was all bad. I really never would have thought that would ever happen. I am very disappointed in Tokico.

On the other hand, it gave me the opporutunity to get air bags.

Is there a guarantee against sagging with the Cali Custom springs? I know Tanabe offers one. How about spring rates? What do those numbers look like? Just some info that might be useful to those looking into purchasing or doing product comparisons.

Thank you
Chris
Old 05-01-06, 06:02 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Default 95-00 Suspension Choices: Springs, Shocks, Sway Bars

Hello Folks -

I'm a new lurker on the boards and just wanted to know a little about your suspension. I have a 97 LS400 that I would like to improve the handling and looks on. I started by purchasing the SC430 wheels. The next step would be sprinsg and shocks, and the tires. Eventually rear sway bar.

Unfortunately the choices for the 95-00 are very limited. I know a few of you are runing Bilsteins and would like feedback.

- Do the Bilsteins shock that you have, have adjustable spring perches? Do you have the part numbers? Where did you purchase them.

- In one of member RA40's thread, it was mentioned that with his set-up (Bilstein/Eibach), 245/45/18 tires would not fit and would rub (he has 245/40/18's)? That is the size that I am planning on using. RA40, has the Eibach's and Bilsteins combo with the front set to low and from what I see in pictures it has a very nice stance, no saggy but syndrome. This is why I'm wondering if the Bilsteins do have adjustable spring perches.

- Does the Eibach springs give it a nice rake or does the car have the saggy butt syndrome? I was planning on using Tanabe's but I'm little scared of the car being too low for the wheels (SC430 wheels with 245/45/18's) to properly fit w/o rubbing.

- Are there any H&R users out there that can give me feedback as well? I've searched the boards but the descriptions and info are in bits and pieces.

- As far as tire size is concerned, 45 series would be the lowest profile I would go to reduce road bumps and vibration.

- I guess my only choices are Bilstein/Eibach 245/45/18, Bilstein/H&R 245/45/18 any others that will not slam the car past 1.5" and with no saggy butt syndrome???

As far as coilovers are concerned, I really don't and can't shell out that much cash. I would really appreciate your input as I am new to the LS scene. Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Mike

kalbo_one@yahoo.com
Old 05-01-06, 06:12 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Eibachs and Bilsteins on this ...........also the tires and wheels are for sale........
Attached Thumbnails Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)-11785my_pictures00021.jpg  
Old 05-01-06, 06:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

L-sportlines if you can find them.
Old 05-01-06, 06:33 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Lexkost -

Nice ride! I might just have to buy the parts from you? How old is the set up and what size tires are you running on those wheels, 18's right?

I probably have to pass on the wheel since I just bought some SC430 wheels. I really want to run 45 series tires and I hope the Eibach/Bilsteins will work with that set up? Let me know! Thanks!

- Mike
Old 05-01-06, 06:41 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Lexkost -

I'll PM you my cell number. By the way, I just noticed there's a whole lot of Mike's on this board. I'm Mike as well?
Old 05-01-06, 07:04 PM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Mike,

From what I understand if you are running 18's you will have no problems with rubbing even if you run the Tanabe's. I am running 18's with 225/40's and I have a good 2.5" gap in the front and almost a 3" gap in the rear running my stock setup. I am installing Tanabe's and KYB shocks this weekend if all goes well. I figure I will still have at least an inch gap when I am done. I have heard though that if you are running 19's or 20's you will have issues with the tanabe's.

I went with the 225/40's to help minimize the car pulling in the crappy roads around here. As for the road noise and such. I find the difference from the stock tires to be minimal. In fact my girlfriend could not tell any difference in the ride or the noise when I install the new wheels and tires. But what does she know

As for the shocks/struts, I went with the KYB's because I am still wanting a smooth ride. From the info I found, the KYB's give you a slightly softer ride versus the Tokicos and the Bilsteins.

Good luck with your new project.

Shawn
Old 05-01-06, 07:31 PM
kalbo_1
Rookie

Hey Shawn -

I think there might be an issue with the Bilsteins spring perch set to "Low" in the fronts and using 45+ series tires?

I'm just waiting for someone to confirm that it wouldn't be a problem and I'll go with options that I originally picked: Bilstein/Eibach. SC430 wheels with 245/45/18.

What wheels are you running and why did you opt for the stock width? I think the sidewall height would have more effect from the road than the width?

- Mike

Last edited by kalbo_1; 05-01-06 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-01-06, 08:51 PM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Actually the stock wheel width is a 6". Mine are 7.5". If I recall the factory tire size is a 205. Anyway I did not want to go too extreme on the wheel and tires. I am still looking for a decent ride without too many mods and/or added expenses. Our roads here are more rutted than rough. If it was rough then yes the sidewall would definately help with that. I don't want to be pulled all over the roads. I have noticed that it pulls a little more now than with the stock tires but not too bad. I was originally going to go with the 245's but they talked me out of them. I am glad they did now.

I went with the Devino Ransom wheels.

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)