LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 02:25 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got eibach lsportline springs if u are interested

edit: wait you have a ucf10.. damn
Old 04-06-07, 12:28 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else have springs??? I've been checking the classified forums for a while now. Tanabe's would be nice.
Old 04-06-07, 12:51 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey no problem asking before you do it ,than after and regret it.
Old 04-07-07, 08:52 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Thanks...I have cut springs before in the past. I would usually cut a little at a time and ride on them for a month or 2 before I would cut again if any. Yes aftermarket are better but I hear a lot of people on here saving how stiff their ride is. Tokicos are pretty firm. I guess some people took this as I was going to chop it down a lot. A 1 inch drop would make very little different whatever the scientific views on it are. Anyways I will buy the tanabe's as I want more than a 1" drop.
Old 04-07-07, 08:57 PM
pfantom68
Lead Lap

While we're on the subject (and I'm too lazy to make a new thread), how bad is it really to put lowering springs on stock struts. I know they make the struts wear out faster, but how many miles/how much time would it be until I needed new struts?
Old 04-08-07, 01:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pfantom68
While we're on the subject (and I'm too lazy to make a new thread), how bad is it really to put lowering springs on stock struts. I know they make the struts wear out faster, but how many miles/how much time would it be until I needed new struts?
spings wont really stiffen the ride up nearly as much as shocks will (u mentioned tokikos).

and yes, a 1inch, (thats apprix 1.5-2coil iirc) will make a big difference since A-the LS is 3800+lbs (around 2 tons give or take) and your cutting from either the top or bottom of the springs, where MOST of the progressive spring rate comes from.

a 1in. set of springs (eibach pro-kit for example, or maybe H&R) would prolly be alright on a relatively recent set of stock shocks, now any set of springs on the ORIGINAL (13year old) shocks would prolly be a bad idea.
Old 04-08-07, 09:22 AM
vsynergy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A safer and still cheap alternative to cut springs is just to ride on aftermarket springs + stock shocks. If the drop is not too much, like 2 inches and under, it'd ride fine.
Old 04-08-07, 06:53 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I originally installed H&R springs on my OEM struts while they were still good. My shop said they could last a few more months but did not say they'd make them wear out faster (being lower). Since the struts were several years old I changed them anyway - wanted better handling. I got it with the Bilsteins.
Old 10-28-07, 11:48 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have much money, don't go on adventures. Just my opinion.

If you cut off coil, you gonna make the tires likely to touch inner fender. Its better to get firmer coils when lowering. Your ride's gonna suffer though. Lexus made the car with that height for a reason...

Best of luck my friend...
Old 10-29-07, 12:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

dont cut your springs, search on it for reasons as to why.

you got the money for the car, save up/work/whatever for a little longer and buy some tanabes or something to lower it with.
Old 10-29-07, 06:32 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I agree with the others - it is an LS and cutting the springs is not something I'd do. Like Pure said, save up the cash - second hand springs are available on this board from time to time (classifieds).
Old 10-29-07, 08:15 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i say cut them. you're going to get something better eventually anyway, might as well get rid of the grandpa look asap! the ride is ok and it looks way better. loweirng springs won't get you as low as you need to be anyway.

well.... it depends on what look you're after. those of us into vip style know that there's no spring out there that will get the car low enough. it's coilovers or air suspension. i have drop springs that i cut 1.5 coils out of to get it low enough.
Old 10-29-07, 09:17 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LexusToys
hey pure can you post up your car pix on spring for me? so i can get an idea of how the drop will be like
my drop isnt comparable since my springs and shocks were all custom spec'd for a company that is now dead and gone. i get to go lower than guys with the current market versions of my setup since i have slightly shorter springs and an extra 2 perch settings on the shock
Old 10-29-07, 10:57 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Another consideration, if you decide you want to sell the car and the buyer sees and learns it has has a hacked suspension... If you intend to drive it till it dies, no big deal.

I have my stock springs put away so when the time comes to let it go...it will be put back to stock ride height. Along with the factory wheels.
Old 10-29-07, 11:56 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusToys
hey pure can you post up your car pix on spring for me? so i can get an idea of how the drop will be like
I understand wanting the low effect right away - When I buy a part or plan a mod it drives me nuts until I get it done - lack of patience. Pure and I have a similar set up except I have H&R springs (1" drop) and Bilstein HD struts with two spring perch settings. This picture is representative of the set up at the lowest setting and I run 40 series 18's (to give you an idea): BTW it is low enough that it bottoms out (header portion) over speed bumps.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)-before_after_side.jpg  

Quick Reply: Suspension spring discussions (The Mother Thread)