LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

how do i reset the brake light on the dashboard after changing the brakes

Old 08-22-03, 07:05 AM
jersey1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i reset the brake light on the dashboard after changing the brakes

when the brakes needs to be changed a light comes on the dashboard that looks like a circle.
so i changed the front brakes and its still on. am I supposed to change the back too in order for the light to reset?
Old 08-22-03, 08:49 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how do i reset the brake light on the dashboard after changing the brakes

Originally posted by jersey1
when the brakes needs to be changed a light comes on the dashboard that looks like a circle.
so i changed the front brakes and its still on. am I supposed to change the back too in order for the light to reset?
I never heard of brake light on for the need of brake replacement. I don't know what light you're talking about, I have a 93 SC400 and assume that LS 90-97 sensor light are the same as mine. The light on is either you stll have the parking brake engage or didn't disengage fully, faulty switch with the parking brake. The other brake light sensor is to tell you one of brake light is out.
Old 08-22-03, 02:00 PM
mikhailw
Rookie

Did you replace brake wear sensor? If the light came on, it means sensor must be replaed at the same time.
Old 08-23-03, 09:32 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sensor

That damn sensor is expensive. I posted the price here at Club Lexus last year so a search should find it.

I did away with the wear sensors & had my mechanic take out the light. For some reason we also had to go thru a reset-code via the "engine service port".

Some people have apparently had luck restoring the contact patch on the sensor with solder & re- using the sensor.

nomad
Old 08-29-03, 01:51 PM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to replace the brake wear sensor. there's one on each wheel. Check them all and go to junk yard to find one. It's easy and cheap.
Old 09-02-03, 09:48 AM
jersey1
Rookie

Default Ls400dom

So once i do that it will reset the light on the dashboard. Its not the light that says brake. the light is a red circle with the something that looks like little pades on both side. Now when that light came on I only changed the front pads is there a different light for the back brakes
Old 09-02-03, 12:39 PM
Maeve
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ls400dom

Originally posted by jersey1
So once i do that it will reset the light on the dashboard. Its not the light that says brake. the light is a red circle with the something that looks like little pades on both side. Now when that light came on I only changed the front pads is there a different light for the back brakes
It's the same light
Old 09-02-03, 01:06 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wear Sensors

My memory has returned. I replaced all 4 rotors & pads & tried in vain to use the methods I had read about here to make the wear sensors function again. All with no success.

Since I had already spent a pretty good sum to return my braking system to perfectly functioning order , I did not feel the need to pay more for an "idiot" light to tell me when it was time to change pads.

While pulling the light out my mechanic set off the airbag sensor light , so we had to get the reset code to make sure it would work correctly if ever the need should arise. That is one you certainly don't take lightly!!!

The fact that this sensor is made to function once & then get replaced really po's me.

Source: Bell Lexus
Sensors are $66.10 each!!
Part # 47771-50030F
Rear: 47771-50040R

damon

Last edited by damon; 09-02-03 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-02-03, 05:27 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I wish I had the digi cam when I did this. I also had a problem with the brake light, the dealer wanted over $100 bucks for a piece of looped copper wire with a harness attatched. Hell no (better said: no f$#king way). There are only 2 sensors, both on psngr side front & rear. The front is very easy to repair if you know how to solder. It's just a piece of looped copper wire with a ceramic molding around it. When that wire breaks light comes on; in other words circuit open.

Front break sensor repair instructions:
1. Disconnect brake sensor wire next to strut.
2. Take ceramic off by just pulling (you should see broken wire before pulling, if not leave alone inspect rear pads and sensor)
3. Get a piece of copper wire about 3 to five inches long and cut enough to make up for length broken.
4. Put new piece through the holes in the ceramic molding making sure the exposed wires are facing up towards the wires leading to the harness clip and solder away.
5. When cool, wrap electrical tape very tight around the newly soldered areas.
6. Re-connect brake sensor and then slip the other end with the ceramic molding into the new pad, turn ignition on and light should disappear.

I never had to replace the rear so far, yes light did come on, but all I did was change the pad and the brake pad wear limit light came off.
Old 09-15-03, 02:48 PM
mtsao
Driver

I've changed pads on a Benz SUV and sensors came with the pad set...individual sensors were under $5 apiece. I wonder why Lexus sensor is so expensive. As Lexozz describes it, the sensor is encased in ceramic and affixed to the brake pad, if so this is the same as the MB I worked on and I don't see why Lexus would use something that costs so much to replace.

Mike