LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

make sure the folks at the tire center tighten your wheels down

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 01:45 AM
Bj(CA)
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry make sure the dip******'s at the tire center tighten your wheels down

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/vid...eo_95tire.html

scary!!
Old 08-13-03, 10:24 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that is crazy! At least no one was hurt.
Old 08-13-03, 04:55 PM
BLexACK LS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

must have been a very slow news day
Old 08-13-03, 07:13 PM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before a tire comes off a car because the lug nuts haven't been tightened properly the wheel makes a major racket and there is a lot of noise and shaking. It's not like the wheel just "Pops" off.

I've had this happen to me, however I stopped and checked it out before I lost all 5 lug nuts and the wheel.

Seriously, there are people that have no clue what is going on with their vehicle. The mentality is, "If it's not working, then it's a problem, but as long as it's working, no matter the condition, it's still OK".

Old 08-13-03, 08:07 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know what car you are driving but it's not a LS400 if it had rattling. I was going 55mph and my wheel just popped off. One second it was there and the other it was rolling along side my car. There is no rattling on a LS400 what-so-ever. Take a look at my forum. This sadly reminds me of what happened to me, except I was more lucky.
Old 08-13-03, 08:21 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by additude
Before a tire comes off a car because the lug nuts haven't been tightened properly the wheel makes a major racket and there is a lot of noise and shaking. It's not like the wheel just "Pops" off.

I've had this happen to me, however I stopped and checked it out before I lost all 5 lug nuts and the wheel.

Seriously, there are people that have no clue what is going on with their vehicle. The mentality is, "If it's not working, then it's a problem, but as long as it's working, no matter the condition, it's still OK".

man thats messed up for you to say something like that... the point is pep boys f-ed up and they are lucky no one got killed... its not about whethere "people" know whats going on in their cars..
Old 08-13-03, 10:10 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I remember correctly the story said that the driver stopped to check his car a couple times. He could tell something was strange but without taking the wheels off there was no way for him to know, besides being a mechanic. The point is that pep boys is to blame and not the driver. A stud for the lug nut was broken by pep boys and the replacement they put on obviously didn't work out.
Old 08-14-03, 04:32 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentilemen,

When I originally went to read the article in the link, the site the link points to must have had some problems, because there was nothing to read on the site and all the picture links were broken.

So, I admit I didn't read the article, simply because it wasn't there.

However, I recalled my own story with a similar situation. I will also admit I may be too critical at times because I may reason more for myself in a given situation than I give the other person credit for. My situation occured on the front, maybe this persons problem was with a rear tire and wheel and therefore less noticeable.

I will tell you that if I was on an interstate or highway doing 50mph, 60mph or maybe 70mph or faster and I had the slightest inkling that I had a problem with loose steering, wheels or if the car felt dangerously sloppy on the road, I'd not only stop and check it out, but I'd be seriously afraid to drive any further high speeds. If I had to, I would drive slowly no farther than the next exit and gas station to have it checked out by a professional before proceeding any further. I am also AAA and could call them.

But that's what I would do, I'm not that person this happened to, I didn't make that call.

I apologize if what I said offended anyone. I have been around the block a few times and have seen people do some awfully stupid ***** in my life. I have seen what some people will do to a car.

Maybe I just assume the worst. I'm sorry.