LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What & where is a level Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 12:43 AM
sherwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What & where is a level Control Unit

On my Air Strut journey, I'm trying to figure out why my passenger side tire is kissing the wheel well.
The dearship thinks i should pay for their new mega (under construction) complex with a $1,600 donation to fix one air strut.

Found out from seller that the mechanic at the dealership said the level control unit was cracked, if so, is this a complex fix? I haven't found any sucessful searches on the board about the level control unit. Haven't picked up any repair manuels yet.

Would like to see if I can figure out a solution before I bend over and take it up the .....

They put a new complete factory power steering unit $1,200+ on the car 17 months ago, it has 600 miles on it (car has been setting up for past 15 months) and it doesn't work. They are unresponsive about fixing it- "you should have brought it in during the first 12 months- WE MIGHT have done something about it"
The owner would have if he wasn't hospitalized and in ICU, before he died. Local Lexus dearship thinks their Gods or at least should be treated as such. thats why I would like to fix it if at all posible without their intervention.

This car is so clean and once I fix the air strut or gut it and go with regular shocks- (which I would rather not do) I think i'll have a sweet ride to enjoy for several years to come.

I really could use some help and suggestions.

Sherwood
Old 08-23-03, 10:45 PM
97LS400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sherwood,

Level control unit... look for a small control arm (about 5 inches long) with a ball joint on both ends. It is in front of the strut and just above axle level.

The top end of this control arm is connected to the "level control unit."

You can manually adjust the "low" ride height of your car by adjusting these longer/shorter (all four corners should be adjusted to match) but you need to fix your problem first.