LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

will not shift into gear LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 12:21 AM
sherwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will not shift into gear LS 400

Buying 90 LS 400 from neighbor with new Master Cyl, Alternator, and Power Sterring Pump all dearship installs and service. Car has set in parking lot for about a year,after replacing battery cranked over and sounds great, Air Conditioning cold, stereo works, tires 2-3000 miles on them with road hazard warranty.
Body and interior in excellent shape (a few clearcoat problems in my future) for $2,000 I don't see how I can go wrong

EXCEPT

WILL NOT SHIFT INTO GEAR

can't get the manuel overide button to engage either.

No warning lights except pad sensor dash light.

ONLY other issue with car is bad front passenger air shock- couple of local shops have said they replaced air shocks in pairs with regular McPherson struts ( seller is a friend- dealership quoted $1,400 per strut) for $250 ish for the pair.

Condo wants car removed by Wednesday AM because of expired tags, so I need any suggestions

Thanks, Sherwood
From the Land of Dead Elvis
Old 07-29-03, 09:28 PM
sherwood
Driver School Candidate

Default Found Answer to shift problem

Your not going to believe this,

Their is a solonoid thats part of the "manual overide" button linkage. The activator shaft had frozen in the locked position. To LOCK- the solonoid pushes a pin through a hole in the gear selector assembly that pins it into a metal frame assembly, to UNLOCK the solonoid pulls the pin clear of the hole allowing the shifter to travel.

The service Mgr at the dealership and his top mechanic had hever heard of my type of problem before, where pushing the "manual overide" button would not unlock the gear shifter. We was quick to offer to send their tow truck, and at a $75.00 labor rate work on it untill they figured out the problem. As you might guess,I declined.

In all fairness to the dealship, I haven't found this problem addressed on any B Board in the 5-6 hours I have been looking, but so far I've only found this and one other board.

Since I've decided to buy this car any other board referals would be appreciated, not to take anything away from this board. I'm just used to having a lot of boards to pull ideas from for my BMW & Volvo.

Sorry this is so long but I hope this info will help others out there, I can't beleive that this is the first frozen solonoid in Lexus history. I wonder if the dealerships have found a cash cow.

Sherwood

Now on to my Air Suspension problem
Old 07-30-03, 08:09 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Default thanks for sharing this

sherwood,

Thanks for sharing this info. This will definitely help someone else out down the road. Also, you can find a wealth of info on air suspension troubleshooting and repair by searching the forums here. As a guide, posts in this forum are usually read by fellow LS400 owners that are maybe weekend mechanics, so the help may be limited. By posting in the Maintenance forum, your thread will get reviewed by a number Lexus dealer techs that participate in the forum. Questions like this get attention more quickly over there, in my experience.

Best Regards,

GA400