LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Celsior Massage seats and controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 06:00 PM
Brandon10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Celsior Massage seats and controller

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the Lexus ownership community, I in fact haven't even actually purchased the car yet. I'm working with a seller (LS400BL80) to buy her LS400 from California, and have it shipped all the way to the not so sunny hills Pennsylvania. I've been in the car scene for a few years now, but mainly in sports cars/coupes, and with this I've learned: Guys like racecars, guy are attracted to racecars because build/talk about them, but the ladies are attracted to a classy ride. The first thing I want to try to do is locate a set of massaging rear seats from a celsior, to really class up my ride with (relatively) little work. Once the car arrives I'll start a build thread, as I plan to dye the seats most likely a cinnamon brown, and replace the rest of the tan interior with black.

What I'm interested in, is if I can find a set of rear massage seats and control panel arm rest, if I would be able to hook them up in my 95 LS. Theoretically the wiring involved should just be hooking up the positive and negative of the massage system, right?

I've been researching around and found that early celsiors came with an oem rear auto curtain. I'm very interested in curtains on my ride, and I think an electric rear one would be nice. I've also read that they're hard to find, so does anyone have any insight on either one around for sale, or a good after market electric curtain for the rear window?

Thanks in advance everyone
--Brandon
Old 03-29-17, 05:19 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Nobody has replied to this in three days so I'll give it a shot.

First of all, I never knew "ladies are attracted to a classy ride". I've owned a lot of nice cars in 50+ years of driving including Mercedes SL, E-class, S-Class, Lexus LS and nice Volvos and I never met a woman who gave a damn about any of them. I think the only car I ever owned that a woman ever commented on was a bright yellow Volkswagen that I had for a short time in the mid 1970's - she thought it was "cute". (I finally married her in 1991.) The car that seemed to bring the most attention from both men and woman when they walked by it when it was parked on the street was a dirt cheap, tiny, white shiny new Smart Fortwo that I rented for a month in 2012 while my last Lexus was repaired after being crashed into by a guy texting on his phone.

Installing a rear seat with massage from a high spec 90's JDM Celsior is more complicated than it sounds. The seat doesn't attach to the car anything like the rear seat in a U.S. market LS400. You would have to have all mounting hardware including the tracks that allows its recline feature to work and for the divided cushions to slide forward. And the high high spec Celsior with the massage feature had a 3-zone HVAC system unlike the U.S. LS400 and it had controls in the rear armrest for the rear zone. And the highest spec Celsior amrest control panel also included controls for the JDM audio/television system which is very different than the simple audio systems in the U.S. LS400. The high spec JDM Celsior had a TV screen in the headliner that folded down.

The JDM Celsior did not have a rear window curtain either as standard equipment or as an option - not in the parts lists. That was an option on the more expensive JDM Toyota Century although a few people apparently got the parts and installed them on Celsiors. There is or used to be a page about this on the Japanese language Celsior-up website.

If you want rear seat gadgets like massage, audio controls, and recline and a rear window roller blind, get an old LS430 with the Ultra Luxury package - ones from 2001-2003 can be had for well under $10,000 although many are in sad shape and need expensive repairs to the air suspension.