LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replaced ECU Cranks No start No spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 06:19 PM
5speedLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced ECU Cranks No start No spark

*Fixed* Post #11

1990 LS400. After pulling my ECU and replacing the capacitors, I threw it back in the car and it wouldn't start up! I figured I did a bad job soldering or something, so I ordered a junkyard ECU for $50 and tried that. Same thing no luck. At the same time it turns out my starter is sticking on even with the key out *yikes* but I never noticed till now because the engine always fired up first try. So I decided I could use this to my advantage and let the thing keep cranking while I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake. It didnt make so much as a pop. So I am suspecting spark is not happening. I have to pull off the neg battery terminal just to get it to stop cranking. I wonder if that could make it too hard for the ECU to learn everything.

I did jumper the circuit opening relay and could hear the fuel pump coming on when ignition was turned to on. I could not hear the fuel pump running without jumpering it, but from what I read the ECU will open the relay when it senses something is amiss. While the relay was jumpered I tried cranking and no start. I did open the second ECU to inspect it and there was no leakage visible or signs of tampering.

Why would simply taking an ECU out and putting it back in (effectively) have this effect? Did I just get a second bad ECU? I wouldnt think so because most "bad" ECUs only run rough, not don't run at all. What are the chances that something else went wrong when I pulled the ECU? I am stumped here. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by 5speedLS; 04-11-17 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 07:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you didn't unplug, disconnect the battery first, then you could have fried, burned out, wrecked both ECU's. Also if you replaced the capacitors and didn't use a wrist strap, especially in a dry cold area like Wisconsin, then you could have ESD damaged the IC's on the board of your ecu. Maybe the one you got from the Junk yard was the reason the car was at the junk yard in the first place.
Old 03-23-17, 07:39 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Perhaps obvious, but maybe it is as simple as a blown fuse.

After that, I'd start trouble shooting relays, confirming spark, etc. You know you have fuel pressure since you can hear the fuel flowing, but that does not mean the injectors are firing.

I would be surprised if both ECU's are completely dead. From your description, it is just not likely.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-17, 09:13 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

[QUOTE=5speedLS;9811999]1990 LS400. After pulling my ECU and replacing the capacitors, I threw it back in the car and it wouldn't start up! I figured I did a bad job soldering or something, so I ordered a junkyard ECU for $50 and tried that. Same thing no luck. At the same time it turns out my starter is sticking on even with the key out *yikes* but I never noticed till now because the engine always fired up first try. So I decided I could use this to my advantage and let the thing keep cranking while I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake. It didnt make so much as a pop. So I am suspecting spark is not happening. I have to pull off the neg battery terminal just to get it to stop cranking. I wonder if that could make it too hard for the ECU to learn everything.

I did jumper the circuit opening relay and could hear the fuel pump coming on when ignition was turned to on. I could not hear the fuel pump running without jumpering it, but from what I read the ECU will open the relay when it senses something is amiss. While the relay was jumpered I tried cranking and no start. I did open the second ECU to inspect it and there was no leakage visible or signs of tampering.

Why would simply taking an ECU out and putting it back in (effectively) have this effect? Did I just get a second bad ECU? I wouldnt think so because most "bad" ECUs only run rough, not don't run at all. What are the chances that something else went wrong when I pulled the ECU? I am stumped here.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-23-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 09:40 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=YODAONE;9812194]
Originally Posted by 5speedLS
1990 LS400. After pulling my ECU and replacing the capacitors, I threw it back in the car and it wouldn't start up! I figured I did a bad job soldering or something, so I ordered a junkyard ECU for $50 and tried that. Same thing no luck. At the same time it turns out my starter is sticking on even with the key out *yikes* but I never noticed till now because the engine always fired up first try. So I decided I could use this to my advantage and let the thing keep cranking while I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake. It didnt make so much as a pop. So I am suspecting spark is not happening. I have to pull off the neg battery terminal just to get it to stop cranking. I wonder if that could make it too hard for the ECU to learn everything.

Why would simply taking an ECU out and putting it back in (effectively) have this effect? Did I just get a second bad ECU? I wouldnt think so because most "bad" ECUs only run rough, not don't run at all. What are the chances that something else went wrong when I pulled the ECU? I am stumped here.
What is P.N. on original ECU?

What is P.N. on replacement ECU?

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-23-17 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 09:47 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

First thing after putting back the ECU, you need to initialize the board. Takes about 30 mins. Peruse Youtube about how to do it.
Old 03-24-17, 10:46 AM
5speedLS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I can confirm that the PN of both ECUs are the same.

I did always disconnect the battery before pulling or putting in the ecu.

I checked all fuses in the fuse box on the drivers side of the engine bay and the drivers footwell. All were good. Are there any im missing?

I was able to get a constant blinking check engine light when pulling codes, so at least the ecu is doing something. I think I have to be botching this install somehow, because its the only thing that changed.

Does the ecu have to be grounded to the chassis? I was just letting it sit on the lower glove box cover.

I didn't think it took 30 min to initialize but I will do some homework on it.
Old 03-24-17, 05:07 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Htony
First thing after putting back the ECU, you need to initialize the board. Takes about 30 mins. Peruse Youtube about how to do it.
Where in the manual does it say to do that? This is the modern computerized world. There is no computer that I know of that needs 30 minutes to accomplish anything.
Not even a smart tv which is way slower than any old vacuum tube tv that I ever had in the old days even 50 years ago. Oh and this is a gen 1 ecu not a fancy CAN system one that does require it to communicate with other ecu's in the car. So sorry to disappoint but its just plug and go.
Old 03-24-17, 10:50 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Cowboy's post in the ECU thread mentions this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html

15. - BEFORE cranking engine the first time, click the ignition switch over to the RUN position for 1 minute to let the other ECU components acquaint themselves with the new caps and let them precharge.
Old 03-25-17, 03:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5speedLS
Thanks for the replies. I can confirm that the PN of both ECUs are the same.

I did always disconnect the battery before pulling or putting in the ecu.

I checked all fuses in the fuse box on the drivers side of the engine bay and the drivers footwell. All were good. Are there any im missing?

I was able to get a constant blinking check engine light when pulling codes, so at least the ecu is doing something. I think I have to be botching this install somehow, because its the only thing that changed.

Does the ecu have to be grounded to the chassis? I was just letting it sit on the lower glove box cover.

I didn't think it took 30 min to initialize but I will do some homework on it.
Lexus shop manual images depict ECU mounting bracket(s) as a groundpath to the chassis suggesting the ECU grounds here...

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-25-17 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-11-17, 07:47 AM
5speedLS
Driver School Candidate

So I put in a 3rd cheap ecu from Ebay cuz I was just convinced it was a bad ECU. So I crank the car a few times and the same thing, no start, although when I modulated the throttle, I noticed little pops. So I said screw it and floored the throttle. After about 2 seconds of cranking with the throttle floored, the thing roared back into life. Of course it idled like junk and died unless I revved it like a LeMons race car . A week later it idles fine.

I hear that when you floor a car when cranking it goes into clear flood mode. I wonder if that helped it default to some pre-programmed fuel map instead of having to rely on sensors. I hope this helps somebody in a similar situation.

Thanks
Old 04-11-17, 08:14 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

If you don't initialize the ECU after installing it, it'll never work. I am mentioning it already second time. Ask a knowledgeable techs. about this. Also peruse youtube
regarding how to do it. Takes about 30 minutes. If one knows anything about processor chips, ought to know what initialize means. Without initialize, the ECU is like
a brain dead animal. Can't perform as an ECU.
Old 04-11-17, 02:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

If you don't initialize the ECU after installing it, it'll never work. I am mentioning it already second time. Ask a knowledgeable techs. about this. Also peruse youtube
regarding how to do it. Takes about 30 minutes. If one knows anything about processor chips, ought to know what initialize means. Without initialize, the ECU is like
YAMAE we need your input on this one.
Old 04-11-17, 03:19 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

This hasn't been my experience with the ECM's. I usually just mount them, plug them in then leave the key on a minute or two and I've never had a problem. I don't know what you're talking about regarding 'initializing' the ECM. I'm certainly not going to go watching YouTube videos about it. Half of the stuff on YouTube is garbage.
Old 04-11-17, 05:39 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Depends how it is designed. If boot loader is in NVRAM, as soon as power is applied it can wake up and initialize itself or powering up will trigger the initiallize. My back is in eletronics. Lived through electronic evolution from vacuum tubes to nanotech. in my professional career. Hobby is ham radio, licensed in the '50s, still active on the air using ll mode. You are just speaking for yourself. Yes, Internet is full of garbage, it is our individual responsibility to distinguish between good and bad information, same with daily news on MSM.

Quick Reply: Replaced ECU Cranks No start No spark