LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie Here- 97 purchase thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 11:53 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by lexslexus
If it was me, I would pass unless the seller will negotiate and you're willing to pay for the work that will need to be done.

There are a couple of red flags; the salesperson tone, the check engine light with no mention of why it is on in the ad, and the last timing belt change was not done on time (every 90k miles or sooner if the age is increasing more than the mileage) so this car likely went an extended period of time without scheduled maintenance being done.

To me, the most concerning red flag is the salesperson tone because if your car is in great shape, you don't need to convince potential buyers on why they should purchase it.

I also consider it a red flag that there's a picture of the stereo but it's not shown to be working but this might not be a big deal if you don't mind installing a new stereo (if it doesn't work). If I was selling, I would make sure to take a picture of the stereo on and fully functioning because this is usually important to someone who wants an LS 400.

I know you need a car to get to Florida in but don't get the wrong car just because you are in a pinch. Trust me, you will be paying for it later lol. Wait for the right one. As others have said, good specimens in Florida aren't hard to come across. I was looking for an LS 400 for quite some time before I bought mine recently and I've seen plenty of good ones in Florida.
The CEL is illuminated because the key is on and the engine is not running. Go try on your car. That's not to say it doesn't have any current codes but that image is not indicative as such.

And I agree, the salesman is a turn off for me. He wants tip top dollar. There is no great deal to be had here. If this is a good car expect to pay for it. He's laying it on thick. He may even be the type to clear any codes before showing to a potential customer. Car salesman are some of the worst people to deal with.
Old 03-18-17, 12:35 PM
lexslexus
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Banshee365, you are correct. I didn't even notice lol. Have learned the hard way to assume the worst when used car shopping.

Also, to the original poster, don't let a picture in front of someone's house fool you. I've responded to some CL ads with pictures of the car outside a home but it was actually a dealership selling instead of a private seller. Make sure to Google the seller's phone number or the address given for the test drive to see if they are being honest. See what comes up in the results. One time, the address I was supposed to meet the seller at for a test drive was actually an auction house lol.
Old 03-18-17, 01:12 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I liked it at first glance but changed my mind. All those pics and how come none of the engine bay? He didn't always keep it that clean, Dirt in the glove box. Looks like the antenna is broke and it has a "lazy seatbelt"
As Legender said, you should wait til you move to Florida. If you need a car to drive down there just rent one, can't be more then a couple hundred for a week.
Old 03-18-17, 01:41 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

The antenna and lazy seatbelt are very common issues on the LS400.
Old 03-18-17, 04:03 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
The antenna and lazy seatbelt are very common issues on the LS400.
Oh yeah, that's why I pointed them out to the OP. Both were bad on both my 93 and 94.
Old 03-23-17, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by WVUGuy29
Ok I got like four things out of this: color, miles, suspension and something about neon lights. Lay terms, anyone? Bueller?
Well the listing is gone but I saw that it seemed like asking was $3k. The way I see it is everything is negotiable, period. And my advice even on 10k cars and above, pretend you're in American Pickers, are you going to overpay for anything? Once in a while, but generally speaking, no. And you had mentioned Pawn Stars, they're even worse in ripping the seller off.

Anyway I believe the person responding was saying black is a color where it's just generally hot and you're going to a hot climate, like wearing a black shirt in the summertime. The neon lights are some sort of look at me mod, implying possible driving in a manner that is hard on the car.

You had mentioned inheritance, is it possible to spend a lot more, meaning 10-14k? If so, you can get some really nice LS', 2006's and maybe 60-80k miles.....let's face it, almost every car out there needs a timing belt job either because of age or mileage. People often dump cars when a major service is coming up....you can get it done $700-$850 at an indie, I've even seen $600's but that is rarer....good luck.