LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New member need help/opinions with door not closing properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 03:44 PM
Bretth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member need help/opinions with door not closing properly

Td it was windy as all hell and my door blew open hard and now when you close it the door rubs on the fender making clear coat and paint chip and it's seriously pissing me off as its a 91 and pretty mint, the line between the fender and door is smaller on the side it's rubbing (drivers side) then the passenger, the door Isn't sagging at all but now it doesn't close nicely it makes an irritating noise and is scraping the fender... any tips on how I could bend this back safely? No door hinges or anything look damaged it's just not proper idk what to do rly
260k kms

Last edited by Bretth; 03-08-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 05:05 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Photo's please.
Old 03-08-17, 06:37 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If something violently opens the door like you say, it would be similar to having the door open and backing up and hooking the door on something and over extending it.
It is simply not a good thing. The hinges very likely will not bend, the area that bends is what they are attached to. It could be the body or the door that is sprung, and either way, unless you have body repair skills and knowledge, you may need a professional to fix it. It maybe as drastic as needing an expensive frame machine, where they tie the whole car to the machine and fabricate plates to attach at the door hinge points and pull them back to the correct positions. And sorry to hear on a nice pristine car.
Old 03-08-17, 06:54 PM
Bretth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
If something violently opens the door like you say, it would be similar to having the door open and backing up and hooking the door on something and over extending it.
It is simply not a good thing. The hinges very likely will not bend, the area that bends is what they are attached to. It could be the body or the door that is sprung, and either way, unless you have body repair skills and knowledge, you may need a professional to fix it. It maybe as drastic as needing an expensive frame machine, where they tie the whole car to the machine and fabricate plates to attach at the door hinge points and pull them back to the correct positions. And sorry to hear on a nice pristine car.
yeah that's kinda depressing to hear lol, do you think it would be the door panel or the body that bent if the hinges didn't, I'll post pics tm in the light, but upon further inspection I realized the door opens to like 90 degrees now... and the little black rubbery connection in the middle of the two hinges is broken off on the door half it seems, it plays up and down like a half inch, is there any chance i could fix this myself? Maybe new hinges from the scrappers and possibly hammer in a bent spot if needed idk I'm kinda broke and not in a position to spend 2500
Old 03-09-17, 01:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The door opening as forcefully as it did would indicate the position has shifted as you see by the change in seam clearance and the broken guide. May be easy as realigning and replacing that guide. If anything was bent then that will require more work. Take it to a body shop and have them look at it.