LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS right lower control arm BUSHING

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 10:42 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Default 99 LS right lower control arm BUSHING

wondering out loud... would it ruin a 99 right lower control arm to heat the ring around the bushing, push the bushing out and a new one in??

got any ideas??
in my past we heated the flywheel ring gears and replaced them and they all worked..... you young guys never heard of this, but the oldtimers have..

I was just wondering if it would be unsafe after heating...
Attached Thumbnails 99 LS right lower control arm BUSHING-s-l1600.jpg   99 LS right lower control arm BUSHING-71jissgvhzl._sl1356_.jpg  
Old 02-21-17, 01:19 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Freeze the bushing overnight then push into place the next day.Worked for me.Good luck.
Old 02-21-17, 01:33 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Freeze the bushing overnight then push into place the next day.Worked for me.Good luck.
how did you get the old one out? does the original have the steel housing around it?
Old 02-21-17, 04:01 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
wondering out loud... would it ruin a 99 right lower control arm to heat the ring around the bushing, push the bushing out and a new one in??

got any ideas??
in my past we heated the flywheel ring gears and replaced them and they all worked..... you young guys never heard of this, but the oldtimers have..

I was just wondering if it would be unsafe after heating...
The lower control arm bushing is not depicted in Lexus parts diagram....

What brand is the replacement bushing and how does it compare to the OEM bushing?
Lower control arm bushing does not appear on Lexus parts diagram...
Old 02-21-17, 07:22 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

YODAONE check it out here:
Amazon Amazon

also https://www.febest.us/

What brand is the replacement bushing and how does it compare to the OEM bushing? you tell me..
Old 02-21-17, 10:42 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

YODAONE check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/48068-50020-4.../dp/B00HCOJP6M

also https://www.febest.us/

What brand is the replacement bushing and how does it compare to the OEM bushing? you tell me..
Contacted these folks awhile ago. The kid(disrespectful ) in customer service should never play golf because he didn't know his a.____ from a hole in the ground.

Although more expensive.than aftermarket I have not found anyrhing better than OEM for rubber suspension and drivetrain components..
Old 02-22-17, 02:02 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

push the rubber part out or torch it out. Then take a sharp cold chisel and create a stress crack in the metal housing of the old bushing and that should relieve the pressure and make it a lot easier to push out of the control arm.

I did this with my parent's 03 Sienna rear motor mount that I had to press a new bushing into the bracket.
Old 02-22-17, 06:16 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

QUOTE : Although more expensive.than aftermarket I have not found anyrhing better than OEM for rubber suspension and drivetrain components. I agree yodaone, it has lasted 18 years..
add 18 to my 82 years and you get 100..... I really dont believe I will be driving my 99 then....

thanks Loiracer2, sounds like a good plan...
Old 02-22-17, 12:09 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

QUOTE : Although more expensive.than aftermarket I have not found anyrhing better than OEM for rubber suspension and drivetrain components. I agree yodaone, it has lasted 18 years..
add 18 to my 82 years and you get 100..... I really dont believe I will be driving my 99 then....

thanks Loiracer2, sounds like a good plan...
Longevity is a byproduct of build quality....what I am interested in is how does this bushing compare to the OEM in performance on installation?

Certainly less expensive than having to replace the entire front lower control arm...(even with labor to extract and insert bushing) but It seems aftermarket anything on this suspension side is a compromise..

Improvements could be employed by OEM, but isn't that the aftermarket's job?...after all, the OEM has already sold the vehicle. They are in business to maintain it, not improve it.

Would like to see side-by-side images of the aftermarket bushing and OEM part.
Old 02-23-17, 07:09 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

You should be able to push out the old & press in the new bushing using the bushing driver kit. You can rent it at any local auto part stores for free. I have done it many times before.
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (02-25-17)
Old 02-27-17, 05:33 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

just a quick question....are you experiencing a clunking over moderate bumps? Or sometimes when I'm turning, low speed, I hear a clunk noise, but I already replaced my LBJs and SRBs as well as my sway bar bushings and endlinks.

Initially I thought it was my UCA balljoints or anchor bushings but those are solid and I also thought my shock was bad, but when I compress it, it rebounds as normal and the car doesn't oscillate up and down, it is still reasonably damped.

So, that leads me to ask if I may be experiencing the same issue you are? With a bad LCA bushing?

btw, I live about 3 blocks away from Bell Lexus in Scottsdale if anyone needs me to check on things.

Also, I found a tool that Autozone rents that might help:

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...-set/94806_0_0

Last edited by Losiracer2; 02-27-17 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 02:26 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

quote: So, that leads me to ask if I may be experiencing the same issue you are? With a bad LCA bushing?

sounds like you are... I cant do the work anymore, so I am in the thinking stage as we speak.... shop wants $293.00, just to R&R it

Last edited by billydpowe; 02-27-17 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 02:12 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default How does "febest" bushing compare to oem??

I see in this thread depicted a new OEM front lower control arm assembly which contains factory bushing.

Next to it is a replacement aftermarket bushing...which appears to be a stock image...

Has anyone held one of the replacement parts in their hand that can speak to the materials used?

Has anyone installed one of these aftermarket bushings who can speak to its longevity and OEM ride and handling qualities?

Otherwise, it's OEM for me.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-17, 03:28 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

$290 for each lower control arm at Bell Lexus.....yeah that's out of the question. Looks like I'm doing the bushing.

I was able to find them somewhat cheaper at 217 a piece at Earnhardt Lexus in Phoenix but that's still a significant expense ($460+ with tax) to only replace bushings.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 03-01-17 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-28-17, 07:32 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

yep, too much for me too, I'll just listen to my clunk as I back out of my garage..

Quick Reply: 99 LS right lower control arm BUSHING