LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Carpet rescue

Old 02-17-17, 01:57 PM
Hortoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet rescue

I was thinking of taking my carpet out and giving it a super cleaning and dyeing it. Or possibly finding a really clean replacement from a parts car. I would consider an aftermarket carpet kit or oem but I really don't want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. So I was wondering what year carpets fit the 1997 LS 400.
Old 02-18-17, 02:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I will move this to the LS section... I'd imagine you will get more responses there
Old 02-18-17, 04:59 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

1995-2000

​​​​​​​(filler)
Old 02-18-17, 05:18 PM
Hortoon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I will move this to the LS section... I'd imagine you will get more responses there
Thanks I was not sure where to post it.
Steve
Old 02-19-17, 11:52 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If the carpet is fairly worn I wouldn't spend much on it. I attempted that with a car I bought that had been owned by a smoker, the carpet was pretty clean following but the wear and smoke residue still had some hints remaining. Would have been better off in that case to replace the whole carpet.
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (02-19-17)
Old 02-19-17, 12:51 PM
Hortoon
Driver School Candidate

This was a smokers car. Sounds like a replacement is the way to go. Does anyone have a replacement source to recommend?
Old 02-20-17, 02:19 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If the dealer had the carpet it would be a lot more than a couple hundred.
Banshee is the expert on all that he has done it, he pretty much had the whole interior out.
Old 02-20-17, 07:28 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Removing the carpet isn't a very easy task. You'll need to remove the front seats (be careful not to tear the door panels on the way out), the rear seat bottom, the the 4 door sill garnishes, pop loose some of the other side garnishes, center console, accelerator pedal (pressed on a couple of ball studs), floor vents under the front seats, the amp, and the two front floor vents under the dash. The carpet is secured by velcro down the sides under the center console, clips around the sills, and 2 push pins under the rear seat.

I wouldn't try an aftermarket part for the carpet. It's tailored very specifically and has molded foam and such in certain spots to make it fit right. I don't see how the aftermarket could replicate the carpet properly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still available from the dealer, but expect to pay about $1,000 for it without shipping from one of the online discounted dealer sources.

When I did mine recently I just removed all of the seats, vacuumed and shampoo'd the carpet in the car then removed it and set it out in the sun to dry. It worked well and made a big difference in appearance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Banshee365:
RA40 (02-20-17), UNCNOR (02-20-17)
Old 02-20-17, 10:49 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Removing the carpet isn't a very easy task. You'll need to remove the front seats (be careful not to tear the door panels on the way out), the rear seat bottom, the the 4 door sill garnishes, pop loose some of the other side garnishes, center console, accelerator pedal (pressed on a couple of ball studs), floor vents under the front seats, the amp, and the two front floor vents under the dash. The carpet is secured by velcro down the sides under the center console, clips around the sills, and 2 push pins under the rear seat.

I wouldn't try an aftermarket part for the carpet. It's tailored very specifically and has molded foam and such in certain spots to make it fit right. I don't see how the aftermarket could replicate the carpet properly. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still available from the dealer, but expect to pay about $1,000 for it without shipping from one of the online discounted dealer sources.

When I did mine recently I just removed all of the seats, vacuumed and shampoo'd the carpet in the car then removed it and set it out in the sun to dry. It worked well and made a big difference in appearance.
Several years ago Sewell Lexus quoted $1800.00 for a beige carpet for a 97 LS and that was with the Club Lexus discount!!!!
Old 02-20-17, 10:55 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365

As you live in Florida did you find any mold or mysterious residue under the carpet?Is there any sort of sound deadening material installed?
Old 02-20-17, 12:53 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
As you live in Florida did you find any mold or mysterious residue under the carpet?Is there any sort of sound deadening material installed?
I did not find any mold or mysterious residue. Just coffee residue and what-not... There is sound deadening material (foam) in certain spots under the carpet and fits perfectly in the contours of the body floor.
Old 02-20-17, 01:38 PM
Hortoon
Driver School Candidate

Oem prices area bit much. It looks like a real good cleaning with some odor absorbing something is gonna have to do. What do you guys recommend to get rid of the smoke smell?
Old 02-20-17, 01:45 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Probably a solution with a decent amount of vinegar in a carpet cleaning machine with a small wand like a spot cleaner.
Old 02-20-17, 01:52 PM
Hortoon
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the advice.
Steve
Old 02-20-17, 04:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If it sits outside for a few years most of the stink should go. I just don't get smokers, and especially in a new car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carpet rescue