LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 Ls400 No crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 05:37 AM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ls400 No crank

My Ls went down the other day. Full power but doesn't crank. you turn the ignition there is no relay click or anything, interior lights does not come on either. When existing the car i noticed there isn't a security light either since I cannot lock it with the switch. Boarder line stumped with this car, please advise
Old 02-16-17, 08:11 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBp
My Ls went down the other day. Full power but doesn't crank. you turn the ignition there is no relay click or anything, interior lights does not come on either. When existing the car i noticed there isn't a security light either since I cannot lock it with the switch. Boarder line stumped with this car, please advise
Check the main battery fuse, possibly blown, causing all power accessories to be inoperable.
Old 02-16-17, 08:51 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBp
I cannot imagine your statement..... my mind is just flooded with thoughts to look into for answers, before I would write something like this...

please let us know your outcome....
Old 02-16-17, 10:49 AM
Granite88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the battery connections and all the fuses in the engine bay. Removing & reinstalling them wouldn't hurt either as it breaks the corrosion that may have built up on the pins for each fuse. Also check the ground wire for the battery as well.

I had a similar thing happen to a 2003 S10 of mine. It died and would randomly not crank. just dead all around even with no interior lights coming on. When they would work the lights would slowly brighten back up and it would start. Ended up being a main battery terminal was not tight!
Old 02-17-17, 11:22 AM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

Battery connections look fine. I can hear the starter relay trying to engage but nothing. Side note the lock button inside the car doesn't work when the key is removed.
Old 02-18-17, 01:30 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So its a key lock / security system issue. Try locking it with key on passenger door then opening with the same and see if it clears and starts.
Old 02-20-17, 05:29 AM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

*Update* Managed to get the car started by using a jump box on Friday, turned the car on and off multiple times to see if it would happen again and she stayed running. The car was parked all Saturday and Sunday she fired right up again as normal. Drove around, cleaned her and and I figured the terminal post had something to do with it, so I headed over to the local AZ and replaced those and boom, no start again. Battery is about 3 months old.
Old 02-20-17, 06:25 AM
Granite88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say its "not starting" can you go into a little more detail?

Is the starter cranking over the engine at all? Or does it just click and do nothing, engine not being spun by the starter... or make no sounds at all when you go to turn the key?

Since your at AZ (AutoZone I'm guessing?) See if they have a long skinny screwdriver and a hammer. Sneak the screwdriver tip under the intake manifold carefully past the fuel injectors on the driver's side and hold it against the starter, then tap the end of the handle on the screwdriver with the hammer:
You can see the starter here in the middle top of the V in the engine. Looks like a big long can.
Name:  lexstarter003.jpg
Views: 5540
Size:  201.4 KB

If it cranks over and fires up (starts) after you banged on the starter casing a couple times then you know your starter is dying on you. Banging on a dying starter to get it to start is an old trick. It wont be long until the trick stops working- but it will work enough to get you home, and then get the car to a shop or a friend who can do the repair.

Also out of curiosity, how many miles are on your 95?

Last edited by Granite88; 02-20-17 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 08:02 AM
GoBp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Granite88
When you say its "not starting" can you go into more detail?

Is the starter cranking over the engine at all? Is it endlessly cranking and not firing up? Or does it just click and do nothing, engine not being spun by the starter... or make no sounds at all when you go to turn the key?

Since your at AZ (AutoZone I'm guessing?) See if they have a long skinny screwdriver and a hammer. Sneak the screwdriver tip under the intake manifold carefully past the fuel injectors on the driver's side and hold it against the starter, then tap the end of the handle on the screwdriver with the hammer:
You can see the starter here in the middle top of the V in the engine. Looks like a big long can.

If it cranks over and fires up (starts) after you banged on the starter casing a couple times then you know your starter is dying on you. Banging on a dying starter to get it to start is an old trick. It wont be long until the trick stops working- but it will work enough to get you home, and then get the car to a shop or a friend who can do the repair.
It just seems like there isn't enough juice flowing to allow it to crank on it's own. I'll make a video later on today of what it's doing. I get power all over except the tilting steering wheel, engine, radio and power door locks