LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 Celsior multidisplay unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 09:09 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 1993 Celsior multidisplay unit

Hi there can anyone tell me where I can get my 1993 Celsior multidisplay unit repaired? The part number is 86111-50010

Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-17, 08:22 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best best would be to find a working one out of a junked car, or somebody parting theirs out. Somebody does make an upgraded unit for the LHD LS400 that displays Fahrenheit, but I'm not sure if it would work in a RHD or a Celsius car.
The following users liked this post:
avhart (03-06-17)
Old 02-13-17, 05:44 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hi and thanks for replying. I actually took your advice sometime ago and ended up with another one that also went bad in a few. You see these things are old and I think the LCD screens in particular (not to mention a cap or two) don't tend to last. I want to believe that there must be someone out there who can repair these things. More likely in Australia or New Zealand.

Still hoping I can find one with help a little from forum members!
Old 02-13-17, 07:48 AM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

What is your problem?
The LCD alone, the touch panel alone or both?
avhart (03-06-17)
Old 02-13-17, 08:10 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hey Yamae! I spoke to you already some time ago when i was looking to get my engine ECU repaired. I eventually found a firm in the US that did a perfect job on it so thanks a lot.

Now regarding my multidisplay, the touch seems to be working and the display is lighting up but there is nothing showing up on the screen. Also when the unit is off (meaning black) you can see four or five diagonal lines etched on the LCD panel that look to me like a definite problem with it.

As you know, the car is useless without that display working so anything at all you can do to help would be MOST welcome. Thanks again in advance.
Old 02-14-17, 06:09 AM
Yamae

Your problem seems to be related to the LCD panel or it's driver circuit and it's not easy to fix your problem at this stage.

Many Celsior dealers here in Japan used to fix the nani problems just replacing the unit using a refurbished one. But now they don't do this for UCF10/11 any more due to the reason that the refurbishing company ( one of the divisions of Aisin, I believe ) can't repair navi units because key parts are now mostly obsolete. Your only choice would be to find out some private company/person or replace the unit finding a good one. But it would be quite difficult to find out both.

I don't know whether it's possible or not to use a climate control unit instead of a navi unit as some UCF20/21 owners do. I myself have tried to use a climate control unit for my 98 Celsior and it was quite OK. I was able to control the A/C.
avhart (03-06-17)
Old 02-14-17, 07:07 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Ok Yamae, thanks for all that great information. I will have to keep looking for a private repair shop that may be able to fix it. Can you tell me what or where or what kind of Climate Control unit you managed to get to work in your 98 Celsior? That is something I could look into if I am unsuccessful in repairing mine.

Another question, does the radio work by itself or it needs the navi unit to work?
Old 02-15-17, 03:57 AM
Yamae

I only have experienced to use a climate control unit removing the original navi unit on my 98 Celsior. I don't know that it's possible or not on your 93 Celsior. In my case it was successful but the audio was not OK. My original intention was to use a newer navi but it was impossible to control the climate. What I did was to remove the original navi and to install the climate control unit and a Toyota genuine navi NDDN-W56 which also has an built in audio system inside. It was not very easy to do so since I needed to make the wiring loom. This required some extra skills to analyse the audio circuits. I am an electronics guy and I managed to do it. But I must confess that it was a time consuming job.

Although I have spent many hours to do the replacement, the result was not so satisfactory. The audio quality was not as good as the original. The sub woofer was not driven. The out put power was far less due to the reason that the NDDN-W56 could not drive the 2 ohms speaker and I had to use extra series resistors in between speakers for the front.
avhart (03-06-17)
Old 02-15-17, 04:58 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thank you again for all that great information. Looks like something way beyond my capabilities lol.

I have managed to get in contact with a company in Australia called Supertech Electronics who are quite familiar with the Soarer nav units and are willing to try and repair mine so I will send mine to them and see what happens. If you happen to get any further info about my nav or who can repair it please let me know.

It was a pleasure corresponding with you.
Old 02-16-17, 06:49 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Anybody else can tell me where I may be able to get a used multidisplay unit for my 1993 Celsior? Part is 86111-50010. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-06-17, 05:01 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Good morning Yamae, its me again.

My multidisplay (86111-50010) is now in Australia with Supertech Electronics but the guy is having problems powering it up. He is an expert with the SC400 but it appears that my wiring is different. Do you happen to have a schematic of my system or can you tell me where I may be able to find one?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-06-17, 07:10 AM
Yamae

There were wiring diagrams for UCF10/11 released by Toyota and I use to see some sellers selling them at the Yahoo Japan Auction. But I don't find any these days. Due to the reason that older cars need to pay the extra tax now here in Japan and most of UCF10/11 were gone. There is no more market demand here and I think sellers stopped selling them. So I have no idea to find them.

What I imagine is that there may be some USDM diagrams in the US side. I think power related connections are the same with JDMs. To ask US members is one choice, I think.
avhart (03-06-17)
Old 03-06-17, 07:36 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Thanks for your replay Yamae. I think that trying in the US will not work because the Pioneer multidisplay/audio system in my car was never exported to the US. Maybe somebody else here may be able to help or if you have any other ideas please let me know. Otherwise I'm sunk.
Old 03-06-17, 06:09 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Multi-display sourcing

Originally Posted by avhart
Hi and thanks for replying. I actually took your advice sometime ago and ended up with another one that also went bad in a few. You see these things are old and I think the LCD screens in particular (not to mention a cap or two) don't tend to last. I want to believe that there must be someone out there who can repair these things. More likely in Australia or New Zealand.

Still hoping I can find one with help a little from forum members!
Toshiba is (or was) an OEM supplier to Toyota...

They produced a range of 7 segment, Character and LCD Monitors....

See if you can ascertain who is the manufacturer of the Multi-Display by looking on the PC. board.

If a bezel.is used to affix the glass display to the board....then it is possible conductive elastomeric zebra strips were sandwiched between the PC board as conductors to the glass...

If so, the rubber conductive elements have expired.. you may be able to purchase new. Back in the day a company called technit (sp?) produced them.
avhart (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 05:43 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Hey YODAONE (nice handle), thanks for your helpful reply. I will forward this information to Supertech Electronics and hope for the best. That company has lots of experience with the SC400 but unfortunately the wiring is different in my unit and he cannot power it up. I was going to suggest to him that he just goes ahead and replace the LCD and maybe those conductive strips and without further testing just send it back an see what happens when I plug it into the car.

The real thing though, is if he can get an idea as to how to power up the unit using the rear shell connectors as in the pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails 1993 Celsior multidisplay unit-dcp_0387.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1993 Celsior multidisplay unit