LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to tell if shock replacement is needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 04:00 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default How to tell if shock replacement is needed

I've had my 97 LS for a little over a year now, w/ 277k. I know the rear shocks have been replaced, since they're KYBs, but the fronts I believe look original. They have a black body with no sticker or decals showing another brand name, so I'm assuming they're OE.

Lately, I feel as though the front end doesn't have enough support when going over moderate bumps, such as driveways and some speed bumps. It almost feels as though it bottoms out a bit, feeling a bit soft.

When shocks wear out, I know they have a tendency to not dampen the movement as much, yet I when I did an oil change yesterday and looked on the actual shock bodies, I didn't see any type of seepage or wetness signifying a blown or leaking seal.

I have no record of replacement of any suspension and my VIN history only goes to 110k on the Lexus drivers website.

Based on this data, would you recommend replacing the front shocks to help firm up the front end? To me, it feels like it needs more support and the car compresses too easily. I always cringe when I have to go up a steep driveway while turning, as it always seems to make a knocking sound in the suspension (not hitting the oil pan or anything, but definitely way too much travel I think)
Old 01-27-17, 05:00 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I would have to think with almost 300,000 miles on them, they're probably ready for replacement. I know the front struts on a 3rd Gen would feel like an old banana by 300K,
Take a good look at the suspension bushings and look for cracks. This has been a topic of discussion lately on the 3rd gen forum.
Old 01-27-17, 05:22 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I would have to think with almost 300,000 miles on them, they're probably ready for replacement. I know the front struts on a 3rd Gen would feel like an old banana by 300K,
Take a good look at the suspension bushings and look for cracks. This has been a topic of discussion lately on the 3rd gen forum.
I did the lower balljoints with OE Lexus ones and sway bar endlinks with sway bar to frame bushings. Previous owner did the strut rod bushings with OE Lexus rubber bushings (pressed old ones out and new ones in)

The only thing I think is also original is the upper control arms, but they don't have any slop or play compared to my LBJs which had nearly a 1/4-1/2" of vertical play.

I guess everything has its limits and with 20 years and 277k I can't expect it to perform like it should. I'm considering doing KYB GR2 or Excel Gs
Old 02-01-17, 03:41 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thinking I need both new struts and springs and wish to retain stock ride height.
contemplating Arnott C-2221 coil overs but am I crazy??
Old 02-01-17, 03:58 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

easiest way to tell: sharply push down on the car with a decent amount of force, if the shocks are good the car will quickly rebound and stay put... if they're bad the car will bounce up and down like an old lincoln
Old 02-02-17, 07:54 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
easiest way to tell: sharply push down on the car with a decent amount of force, if the shocks are good the car will quickly rebound and stay put... if they're bad the car will bounce up and down like an old lincoln
I put all my weight on the front end (175lbs) and the car went down, but didn't oscillate up and down when rebounding, it compressed but just felt soft compared to the rear compression. It felt like the shock damped the compression as it went down, but came back up rather slowly, and didn't spring up on rebound. And when I grabbed the core support and lifted up and down, the front end moves too easily I think. I'm not that strong of a person to do that and on my 93 accord, can't do that at all (but it is lowered on Ground Control Coilovers and KYB AGXs so that may not be a good comparison). The only other car I can do that to is my 96 Odyssey and I know for sure those shocks are bad, original with over 350k on them LOL (its a flip project so I don't care too much)

Would you think my springs are worn out at this mileage? or are they supposed to be that soft?
Old 02-03-17, 07:56 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I put all my weight on the front end (175lbs) and the car went down, but didn't oscillate up and down when rebounding, it compressed but just felt soft compared to the rear compression. It felt like the shock damped the compression as it went down, but came back up rather slowly, and didn't spring up on rebound. And when I grabbed the core support and lifted up and down, the front end moves too easily I think. I'm not that strong of a person to do that and on my 93 accord, can't do that at all (but it is lowered on Ground Control Coilovers and KYB AGXs so that may not be a good comparison). The only other car I can do that to is my 96 Odyssey and I know for sure those shocks are bad, original with over 350k on them LOL (its a flip project so I don't care too much)<br /><br />Would you think my springs are worn out at this mileage? or are they supposed to be that soft?
<br /><br />i'm sure they're not the same as when they were brand new lol... don't keep your weight on it though, just one sharp push and take your hands off. "good" suspension will quickly rebound and not keep bouncing up and down once it's gone back to original height.<br /><br />seeing as you're in AZ i'm sure your LS won't have gone through nearly as much hard work as one that's constantly driven through NYC streets or somewhere else with bad roads.
Old 02-03-17, 10:45 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
<br /><br />i'm sure they're not the same as when they were brand new lol... don't keep your weight on it though, just one sharp push and take your hands off. "good" suspension will quickly rebound and not keep bouncing up and down once it's gone back to original height.<br /><br />seeing as you're in AZ i'm sure your LS won't have gone through nearly as much hard work as one that's constantly driven through NYC streets or somewhere else with bad roads.
Yeah AZ roads are probably the nicest in the country, especially here in Scottsdale, where this car has predominantly lived for most of it's life. No rust anywhere underneath, just dusty, so seals wouldn't get as corroded with road salt or other winter slush and muck.