LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Pics of Drive Belt, advise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 10:52 AM
BrianV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of Drive Belt, advise...

Here are pics of my drive belt. I read on another thread that cracks in the ribbed part are fine as long as the band is not seeing cracks (apparently even the owner's manual states this). Anyways, here are my pics, there are more cracks in the ribs then I would've thought but the band part of the belt appears to be crackless. What do you guys think. I think is the original belt, as I couldn't find anything in my records of it ever being changed (just inspected, along with the TB). The car has 100K on it. I wanted to take a look at the timing belt but couldn't figure out the best way to take the covers off, anyone have any advice on that?

Old 05-24-03, 11:46 AM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

My 125K 94LS400 belt looks like new no crack, I replaced all belts including timing belt at 125K (Timing belt also looks like new).

Your belt looks very very bad I think might be the weather that causing that...

Timing belt!! you might see a portion of it if you remove the driver side spark-plug cover, then you might see a portion on the driver side camshaft pulley.

Think about replacing your Timing and other belts the sooner the better "Peace of Mind".

Old 05-24-03, 12:03 PM
BrianV
Driver

Well the way I see it is, the ribs are weak and therefor crack easily. The actual belt is a thick band, and for the belt to snap/break that band would have to break. The band looks like it's in new condition, it's just the ribs that are cracked. I read in another post

The timing belt in my 10 year old SC still looks perfect. Why should I tear into the engine and change it? Ditto for my 94LS....the timing belt in my 92LS w/128k even looks good with only some minor cracks starting to show in the ribbed portion of the belt....the reinforced backing with the cords is still fine. This is just like the old folks at Jiffy Lube or any other service station trying to sell serp fan belts to poor saps when all that shows up is some fine cracks in the ribbed portion. Even service manuals tell you this is fine. However, when cracks develop into the solid portion of the belt...its time to change.
Anyways, yeah I should get it done. Which side's cam cover should I take off and what's the best procedure?

Last edited by BrianV; 05-24-03 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-24-03, 05:06 PM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by BrianV
Well the way I see it is, the ribs are weak and therefor crack easily. The actual belt is a thick band, and for the belt to snap/break that band would have to break. The band looks like it's in new condition, it's just the ribs that are cracked. I read in another post

Anyways, yeah I should get it done. Which side's cam cover should I take off and what's the best procedure?
I think, I did say "driver side" Well, here again driver side is easier.