LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS 400: Power steering gone, need help

Old 01-18-17, 11:21 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1994 LS 400: Power steering gone, need help

Ok, the last month I've noticed that i would lose my power steering momentarily as i was driving....also thick white smoke would come out the exhaust pipes. Well last night i lost power steering altogether. I assume the rack and pinion finally went out, as it has been leaking for years. I also am thinking about replacing the power steering pump as well.....any advice on this matter as to good aftermarket parts to use or procedure?
Old 01-18-17, 11:34 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Is the power assist out because it's low on fluid? The smoke would explain the fluid loss. You can replace the ACV on the pump without replacing the entire pump. You can also block it off but I have never done that, I prefer to keep it as designed. Where is the rack leaking?

Most of us will say to only use OEM parts for the steering as far as the pump and rack goes. But, you'll quickly find that they are very expensive. Most aftermarket pumps do not come with the reservoir so you'll need to swap that from your pump to the new one if you wanted to change pumps. Personally I like to rebuild the pump with the OEM seal kit if I know the pump is original and hasn't already been remanned. You need some mechanical experience to do this but I think it's the best option for the money.

Change the ACV first and go from there, as long as your steering assist quit because of the lack of fluid. Make sure to only use ATF of course, no power steering fluid. If someone has used power steering fluid there is the reason for all of your leaks.
Old 01-18-17, 03:19 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Is the power assist out because it's low on fluid? The smoke would explain the fluid loss. You can replace the ACV on the pump without replacing the entire pump. You can also block it off but I have never done that, I prefer to keep it as designed. Where is the rack leaking?

Most of us will say to only use OEM parts for the steering as far as the pump and rack goes. But, you'll quickly find that they are very expensive. Most aftermarket pumps do not come with the reservoir so you'll need to swap that from your pump to the new one if you wanted to change pumps. Personally I like to rebuild the pump with the OEM seal kit if I know the pump is original and hasn't already been remanned. You need some mechanical experience to do this but I think it's the best option for the money.

Change the ACV first and go from there, as long as your steering assist quit because of the lack of fluid. Make sure to only use ATF of course, no power steering fluid. If someone has used power steering fluid there is the reason for all of your leaks.
i blocked off the acv 2 years ago....fluid is not low.....i use ATF......have owned the car for 3 years.....where is rack leaking im not sure....
Old 01-18-17, 04:19 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I would lean toward the PS pump out first before you'd lose the rack. And if you blocked off the ACV, then I've got no idea where all the white smoke is coming from. You might have to get under the vehicle, (use ramps, it's easier) to see where you might have fluid leaking. You can pull of the return line from the pump and start the car to see if the pump is working. Have some extra fluid ready to pour in and a nice big container to catch the fluid.
Old 01-19-17, 02:56 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Legender
I would lean toward the PS pump out first before you'd lose the rack. And if you blocked off the ACV, then I've got no idea where all the white smoke is coming from. You might have to get under the vehicle, (use ramps, it's easier) to see where you might have fluid leaking. You can pull of the return line from the pump and start the car to see if the pump is working. Have some extra fluid ready to pour in and a nice big container to catch the fluid.
My mechanic believes the head gasket is going bad. When i start my car, it sputters badly for 5 min. with no power in acceleration....then it smoothes out and i get good acceleration. White smoke then comes out the exhaust pipes for awhile. You can also hear a "miss" when it is in IDLE. He believes this is a lifter missing, which is "early stages of bad head gasket". His theory is that when it is off and cools off, the coolant is seeping into the head gasket (if i remember right!)....when i start it up, it sputters because of this and when it "burns" the coolant off, the white smoke comes out...... the coolant has been low last couple weeks
Old 01-19-17, 05:24 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Head gasket failures are rare on the 1UZ unless it's overheated real bad. Make sure a hydrocarbon test is done rather than going off your mechanics 'hunch.' If the leak is bad enough you can open the coolant bottle cap after driving and air that smells like exhaust will come out.
Old 01-19-17, 05:40 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Head gasket failures are rare on the 1UZ unless it's overheated real bad. Make sure a hydrocarbon test is done rather than going off your mechanics 'hunch.' If the leak is bad enough you can open the coolant bottle cap after driving and air that smells like exhaust will come out.
thanks banshee....we'll see.....i love this car!
Old 06-05-17, 02:30 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have lost a PS Pump. Are the remans all created equal??
When Denso does not make it I get lost for 90 LS Parts. They do not do PS Pumps.
Old 06-05-17, 04:45 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Just popped the hood and found my pulley all of the way off of the PS pump! The serpentine belt had not broken.
Dont think I have ever seen that before!
Old 06-08-17, 01:10 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

And you did not snap a pic to show us?
Old 06-10-17, 04:53 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i have a rebuilt pump sitting in the garage,its been wrapped up in the box since i got it back. the reason i have it is because i bought a brand new oem one from www.myLparts.com. pm me if needed. ill give a 90 day warranty.
Old 06-12-17, 09:48 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
I have lost a PS Pump. Are the remans all created equal??
When Denso does not make it I get lost for 90 LS Parts. They do not do PS Pumps.
The mechanicals of the OEM pumps rarely go bad unless the fluid has been grossly neglected. The bearing/bushings do go out but the cam/vane assemblies tend to wear well.

There's "new" Chinese pumps on the market as well as remans - you can take a gamble and reseal the OEM pump.
Old 06-21-17, 07:16 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

I went with AC-Delco mainly out of name recognition. Do not believe I want to Reseal one that seized.

For the first time since I was a much younger man , I went to a "pick & pull" today as the reman did not come with a pulley.
Lexus wants way to much for the pulley so this was my best option. 10 minutes & $15.00 later and I am ready for the next step. Still deciding if I am going to be the mechanic for the job.
Old 06-21-17, 07:24 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

My original pulley had no existing sign of once having splines. It had been machined into a smooth bore.
Took that 17mm nut off along the way.
Old 06-21-17, 07:30 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you Python, I had not seen your generous offer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 LS 400: Power steering gone, need help