LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Car sputtering during acceleration and idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 07:36 AM
RussellS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sputtering during acceleration and idle

So I just replace the fan pulley bracket before I tore it apart it was running fine. Now it's running really rough mostly during acceleration and cruising not so much at idle. I've tried to see if I forgot to reconnect something or if I hook something up wrong if anyone has any ideas on what it might be please let me know I do not have the money to take it to a Lexus dealer
Old 01-04-17, 09:42 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

You might have pinched the wires for the cam sensor while you were bolting the bracket back on. I can't remember if that goes through the bracket or above it. But I would think that would throw a code. Is there any code? Also check the coil wire. On my 93 I pulled on the coil wire too hard, while working in that area, and it snapped one of the clips on the coil so it didn't connect tight enough. Took a while for me to figure that one out. Lift the hood at night and rev it up, see if you can see any arching (sparks) in the area where you were working.
Old 01-04-17, 09:45 AM
RussellS
Driver School Candidate

Default Question

What does the cam sensor look like there is a sensor that only has one wire going into it and does not hook to anything it's like a little grey Square it has a hole for a bolt to go through and then it just bolts to the block I believe the hole where that was mounted stripped is that the cam sensor?
Old 01-04-17, 01:42 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

A pic of said wire would go a long way to helping you out.
Old 01-04-17, 02:16 PM
RussellS
Driver School Candidate

Default ???

Just above the fan belt in the center of the photo it has one wire going into it no wires coming out you can see where the bolt is in the end of it and it's loose that's because that slot that it goes into broke that's the only thing I could find that isn't hooked up that I could see
Old 01-05-17, 01:13 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I can't tell much from that picture. Except when that bolt backs out the rest of the way there maybe some problems. Cam sensors are up near cams not near the AC .
Old 01-05-17, 01:58 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RussellS
What does the cam sensor look like there is a sensor that only has one wire going into it and does not hook to anything it's like a little grey Square it has a hole for a bolt to go through and then it just bolts to the block I believe the hole where that was mounted stripped is that the cam sensor?
Pic 10 in this http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html shows the two cam sensors with the timing covers on and pic 13 shows with the covers off. (13 says crank sensor but should say cam sensor) Did you change anything else while you had it apart? Such as the distributor caps and rotors? If so, one of the rotors might be on backwards 180* off. Some people have done that. The grey square box you're talking about doesn't have any wires coming out of it, just the connector in.
Old 01-05-17, 10:21 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I think that component with a single wire is some sort of capacitor to filter out high frequency noise that would otherwise affect FM reception. I remember finding that device once when working on my car, and was surprised to see only one wire, so I looked it up.

So that is not your problem here.