LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 05:57 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aluminum radiator

I'm gonna do some needed maintenance on my engine (valve cover gaskets) and since I've been thinking about upgrading my radiator I figured now might be a good time to knock it all out at once.

Of course there's a hundred places I can by an oe or aftermarket radiator but I've always liked the look of an aluminum radiator. Has anyone ever made one for the LS? Or perhaps an SC or Supra aluminum rad might work?
Old 12-16-16, 10:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

A radiator is not a "how good it looks deal" its a how good it works deal. And unless your going to drive around with your hood off who cares what it looks like? I would prefer a full brass radiator without plastic tanks, not for the looks but for the durability. I would not want aluminum because you can't solder it as far as I know. I think they are all epoxied together. I like durability not looks of something you rarely see.
Old 12-17-16, 11:06 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

These days, the heat exchangers in radiators are made of Aluminum by default (not the tank, etc. though). Even Denso. The original ones (my '91 had a Denso in it when new) were mostly Copper, but due to its high cost now, if you buy one of those it will cost ~$400+.

In October, I replaced the slightly leaking original one with a Spectra Premium CU1304 Radiator from RockAuto. Despite the CU in the part number, it was Aluminum. Perfect fit. Much lighter than the original (Aluminum vs. Copper). Cost around $100.

And regarding "the look of an aluminum radiator" - I know some custom car parts look cool, but once installed, you'll never see this thing.

Good time to replace your radiator hoses too, if those are original. I think one of mine started to leak at around 180k miles.
Old 12-19-16, 07:15 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
A radiator is not a "how good it looks deal" its a how good it works deal. And unless your going to drive around with your hood off who cares what it looks like? I would prefer a full brass radiator without plastic tanks, not for the looks but for the durability. I would not want aluminum because you can't solder it as far as I know. I think they are all epoxied together. I like durability not looks of something you rarely see.
Thanks for your useful input, Dicer. No wonder I wasn't getting any results on the interwebs when I searched for: "good-looking aluminum radiators that don't work". Thanks buddy.
Old 12-20-16, 06:50 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
These days, the heat exchangers in radiators are made of Aluminum by default (not the tank, etc. though). Even Denso. The original ones (my '91 had a Denso in it when new) were mostly Copper, but due to its high cost now, if you buy one of those it will cost ~$400+.

In October, I replaced the slightly leaking original one with a Spectra Premium CU1304 Radiator from RockAuto. Despite the CU in the part number, it was Aluminum. Perfect fit. Much lighter than the original (Aluminum vs. Copper). Cost around $100.

And regarding "the look of an aluminum radiator" - I know some custom car parts look cool, but once installed, you'll never see this thing.

Good time to replace your radiator hoses too, if those are original. I think one of mine started to leak at around 180k miles.
we sell spectra at work...chinese junk!
Old 12-20-16, 11:57 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by python
we sell spectra at work...chinese junk!
It looked good to me. Fit perfectly. Everything seemed high quality. But of course, I have not tested it beyond the few months it has been installed.

I had originally bought a Denso from RockAuto, but it was damaged so I returned it, and stepped up one level in price, hoping for better quality with this one. Online reviews appeared very positive.

So if you don't like these, which do you like?
Old 12-21-16, 05:10 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldskewel
It looked good to me. Fit perfectly. Everything seemed high quality. But of course, I have not tested it beyond the few months it has been installed.

I had originally bought a Denso from RockAuto, but it was damaged so I returned it, and stepped up one level in price, hoping for better quality with this one. Online reviews appeared very positive.

So if you don't like these, which do you like?
denso...or koyo
Old 12-21-16, 11:10 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

To chime in the Denso that was installed in ours is Taiwan made.
Old 12-21-16, 03:55 PM
python
Lexus Champion

i know..but i sell denso..have a koyo in my 92 and do all the returns at work,i know what parts fail. been doing it for over a decade...spectra sux. but,they are lifetime warranty. just so u know...parts made in china are usually made to the manufacturers specs..but if quality control is not good or doesnt exist...then u have a bad product.
Old 12-21-16, 09:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes it's been done, there are issues, and it's a custom job.

One of which is adding an aftermarket transmission cooler as the factory rad has a built-in trans cooling loop.
Old 12-22-16, 09:51 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Yes it's been done, there are issues, and it's a custom job.

One of which is adding an aftermarket transmission cooler as the factory rad has a built-in trans cooling loop.
Yup. Exactly what the rep at Mishimoto said. Their 93-98 Supra radiator will fit but it has to be mod'd a bit. Thanks.