LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1998 LS 400 120k Miles - First Car Purchase PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 12:02 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 LS 400 120k Miles - First Car Purchase PICS

About Me (You may skip)
Spoiler

Straight to the Point
1998 Lexus LS 400
Pictures- https://imageshack.com/a/gkvM/1
1 Owner
120k Miles
Been in 1 Accident
Last Service Seen via Lexus Driver Site is some issue with the battery (battery was replaced and checked) and a power steering leak but the previous owner declined the service. It is noted that there was leaks On the CarFax it states the car has been Serviced Again by Lexus in March 2016. I don't know if dealers would sell me a bad car but because of the reviews I've seen I'm very cautious.

=========================================================================================================
Drive Belts Replaced 2 Years Ago at 103k miles
Hood Shocks Replaced 2 Years Ago at 103k miles
Lower Ball Joint(s) Replaced 2 Years Ago at 102k Miles
Battery Replaced and Checked 120k miles in January of this Year.
Fog Light Bulb(s) Replaced at 120k miles in January of this Year
=========================================================================================================

Questions
1. What should I look for when buying an LS 400?
2. What should I do after I purchase an LS 400?
3. Installing Aftermarket Radio in 1998 LS 400 with Navigation System?
-Since it has the NAV I heard I can use the "Beat-Sonic AOK-03AD" to install an aftermarket radio and still use the amp.
a. With using this Beat-Sonic AOK-03AD will all my speakers in the car work and is there like a dash or bracket I need to buy for the after market radio to fit under the Navigation System? (I don't mind replacing the Navigation System entirely either but I'm looking for the cheapest but effective method.)

Last Service on CarFax-
03/02/2016 - 121,326
Maintenance Inspection Completed
Fluids Checked
Washed/Detailed

Power Steering Issue -
120796 MILES DATE: 01/05/2016
SERVICE: CUSTOMER NEED TO REPLACE POWER STEERING COMP. DECLINED
DESCRIPTION: CUSTOMER NEED TO REPLACE POWER STEERING COMP. DECLINED ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES TIO OFF PS FLUID ~ ~ ~ ~120794 POWER STEERING LINES HOSES AND PUMP LEAKING FILLED RESERVOIR
Steering Rack/Pump Issue
119838 MILES DATE: 09/30/2015
NEEDS STEERING RACK / PUMP / DECLINED / ( ALTERNATOR SOAKED IN OIL DUE TO LEAK FROM PUMP CUSTOMER ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES STEERING WHEEL MAKING SQUEAK NOISE WHEN TURNING PLESAE INSPECT AND REPORT ~ ~NEEDS STEERING RACK / PUMP / DECLINED / ( ALTERNATOR SOAKED IN OIL DUE TO LEAK FROM PUMP CUSTOMERREPLACED REAR PADS / GRIND REAR ROTORS ( NOTE* ROTORS NEED TO BE REPLACED ) AS PER CUSTOMER INSTAL ~ ~PERFORM 27 POINT VEHICLE INSPECTION AT NO CHARGE ~ ~REPLACED REAR PADS / GRIND REAR ROTORS ( NOTE* ROTORS NEED TO BE REPLACED ) AS PER CUSTOMER INSTAL
CarFax
http://docdro.id/UW10TJS

Lexus Driver Service Record
http://docdro.id/qKJirS4

Pictures
https://imageshack.com/a/gkvM/1

Last edited by taiman; 11-08-16 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Fix Formatting
Old 11-08-16, 01:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I would not want a former wrecked car. Unless the price is around 300 or so.
Old 11-08-16, 03:09 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Meh, depends on the accident. My first SC was a rebuilt title and it drove like new for the 3 years I had it.
Old 11-08-16, 03:45 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
I would not want a former wrecked car. Unless the price is around 300 or so.
You think it was wrecked?
The CarFax just states one accident.

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Meh, depends on the accident. My first SC was a rebuilt title and it drove like new for the 3 years I had it.
I mean the car looks in good condition. I just don't wanna buy something that needs to be repaired right away.

Does anyone have any more tips?

I appreciate the replies
Old 11-08-16, 05:17 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Good looking car. If the price is right why not? You are a new driver and these are top of the line automobiles that are very reliable. Drive belts may just be serpentine belt and not the timing belt. I would run the VIN through Lexus and see what has been done at a dealer. Also usually there is a stamp somewhere in the engine bay if the TB has been done. TB and water pump should have been replaced at this point. The power steering leak has been rumored to kill alternators so that will be an issue. Look for any documented maintenance that has been done to the car. With paper. Test drive it. Should be butter smooth at 80 and above. Curious if the repair work was pro or not. No alignment issues or drivability issues. My guess is dealer price is looking for $5-7,000 for this car. Overpriced.
​​​​​​​ I have bought all my LS's from Craigslist. Buy from higher end people who have taken care of their cars, not low end chumps who offer a "deal". For $3-4000 you can still get a lot of car that has documentation of repairs. Dealers.....not sure about that. Best of luck. I recommend the 98-00 models. Faster and safer. Great cars. Noticed the Carfax said failed emissions inspection? Odd for a low mileage LS.

Last edited by pmarr; 11-08-16 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-16, 07:03 PM
Fro98686
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will share my experience. I just bought a 98 ls400 for $2300 with 152 on the clock.

Now I am it to it for $5400 total with everything fixed:
power steering pump
front hub and bearing
LF lower ball joint
thermostat
water pump
timing belt
front strut bars
struts and springs all around that I will install from a car with 40K on it where someone lowered it I get the struts and springs
air filter
leather patch on side bolster area of driver seat
had to pull a shallow fender dent with a $3.99 harbor freight suction cup. Body is completely straight now. My Carfax had no accidents and 3 owners.

The car will be dialed now but if I had it to do over again I would have done a pre-purchase inspection and ate the $200 and not bought the car. I am happy with it now but it is what it is.

My power steering pump was also puking fluid and that was $700 and I opted to not replace the alternator also and it still works(knock on wood).

How much do they want for the one you want to buy?

Fro
Old 11-08-16, 09:49 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmarr
Good looking car. If the price is right why not? You are a new driver and these are top of the line automobiles that are very reliable. Drive belts may just be serpentine belt and not the timing belt. I would run the VIN through Lexus and see what has been done at a dealer. Also usually there is a stamp somewhere in the engine bay if the TB has been done. TB and water pump should have been replaced at this point. The power steering leak has been rumored to kill alternators so that will be an issue. Look for any documented maintenance that has been done to the car. With paper. Test drive it. Should be butter smooth at 80 and above. Curious if the repair work was pro or not. No alignment issues or drivability issues. My guess is dealer price is looking for $5-7,000 for this car. Overpriced.
I have bought all my LS's from Craigslist. Buy from higher end people who have taken care of their cars, not low end chumps who offer a "deal". For $3-4000 you can still get a lot of car that has documentation of repairs. Dealers.....not sure about that. Best of luck. I recommend the 98-00 models. Faster and safer. Great cars. Noticed the Carfax said failed emissions inspection? Odd for a low mileage LS.
Alright thanks for the information it is noted. Happy to hear that you recommend it and that it is reliable.
Hmm you think if I call that specific Lexus that they could specify better what was done since they serviced the car a lot?
Sad to hear about the Power Steering rumor, I gotta read up on that.
Yeah your right on the dot and I know it is overpriced but its alright. I'm gonna get a Pre Purchase Inspection so, hopefully all will be alright.
Yeah I don't really know what an emissions inspection entitles but could that be due to the leak? cause on the Lexus Driver Site it sounded very severe.
I was gonna have the PPI guy do the test drive, because I don't have anything to really compare the driving to be picky. I read good reviews so I expect I like how the car drives.

Originally Posted by Fro98686
I will share my experience. I just bought a 98 ls400 for $2300 with 152 on the clock.

Now I am it to it for $5400 total with everything fixed:
power steering pump
front hub and bearing
LF lower ball joint
thermostat
water pump
timing belt
front strut bars
struts and springs all around that I will install from a car with 40K on it where someone lowered it I get the struts and springs
air filter
leather patch on side bolster area of driver seat
had to pull a shallow fender dent with a $3.99 harbor freight suction cup. Body is completely straight now. My Carfax had no accidents and 3 owners.

The car will be dialed now but if I had it to do over again I would have done a pre-purchase inspection and ate the $200 and not bought the car. I am happy with it now but it is what it is.

My power steering pump was also puking fluid and that was $700 and I opted to not replace the alternator also and it still works(knock on wood).

How much do they want for the one you want to buy?

Fro
I mean that doesn't seem like a bad buy, but yeah I'm definitely getting a pre-purchase inspection for any car purchase, but I hope to be able to just do it myself, what the guy did seemed pretty simple once you get the hang of it. You just have to know what to look for.
Old 11-09-16, 09:52 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

the big service fog light replacement was a big one.
Old 11-09-16, 10:09 AM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lextout
the big service fog light replacement was a big one.
I thought that would be a cheap fix or something not even required but Thanks : )