LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 04:16 PM
bankr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the complete Strut Rods repaced, both sides. It helped some. From what Ive read, the lower ball joints are the next in line, not too bad on parts price if you use Carson.

My $.02.

Bankr
Old 02-28-08, 08:50 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I'm sure these guys have nailed it - but you didn't really indicate where the sound was coming from.

On my 99 LS I have a bit of a supressed clunk/rattle that occurs while going over curbs and rail road tracks.

The dealer tells me it's the U-joints on the steering column... one or possibly both of them. I think they said it'd be in the neighborhood of $700 if both needed replacement - needless to say I'm living with the sound.

I thought I'd mention it since no one posted this yet.
It's only the front, not the rear, and when you go over speed bumps slowly. I just don't understand why Lexus did not think there is a problem, usually they want to make some major $$$$. Alignment seems to be just fine. But I suspect you are right on the money, I will see what they want to replace the bushings, and decide.

Thank you everyone!!
Old 02-28-08, 09:14 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by Atl
It's only the front, not the rear, and when you go over speed bumps slowly. I just don't understand why Lexus did not think there is a problem, usually they want to make some major $$$$. Alignment seems to be just fine. But I suspect you are right on the money, I will see what they want to replace the bushings, and decide.

Thank you everyone!!
I have the exact same problem, but it stops clunking when my suspension is "warmed up." If I go over bumps for the first half hour after starting the car, it makes the clunking noise, but if I go over a speed bump later on, it suddenly stops occurring...weird.
Old 02-28-08, 11:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

try spraying silicone lube on the control arm, strut bar, and sway bar bushings.

then drive it around
Old 02-28-08, 11:47 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

http://www.lextreme.com/strutbar.html
this should be helpful.
Quick question, is there another name for the strut bar? Do other cars have it too?
Old 03-01-08, 04:10 PM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DIY LS400
http://www.lextreme.com/strutbar.html
this should be helpful.
Quick question, is there another name for the strut bar? Do other cars have it too?
Track Rod end? The lextreme exploded diagram is a bit confusing.
Old 06-17-08, 08:01 PM
rob22
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Follow up question on this

Thanks for posting this thread, I'm looking at doing my strut bar (rod) bushings and I was missing the torque specs as well.

Looking at the attached service manual page, it calls for removal of the shock absorber and the shock absorber bracket...is this necessary? I look under the car and it seems like it would be possible to simply loosen (1) the nut and caster (bushing side) and (2) the 2 nuts on the lower suspension arm, then lift the strut bar out.

Thanks-
Rob

1997 LS400
Old 06-19-08, 08:40 AM
docdgt@com
Rookie

Default To pk celsior

To pkcslsior:

When trying the link you post all I get is an existing user sign in, nothing else. How can I gain access to the site? Can you be of help?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-08, 06:26 PM
vfr
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same issue with clunking at low speeds on rough surfaces on my 2000 LS400 (138,000 km). The dealer tells me it's the intermediate steering shaft. Too expensive to have fixed since it's not a safety issue. Anyone think it might be the shock mounts?
Old 08-29-08, 08:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

first place to look would be the lower ball joints and the caster arms (aka strut bars) bushings. to check for tears have ur mechanic use a pry bar to put pressure on them.
Old 08-29-08, 10:07 PM
Atl
Driver

Clunking sound is completely gone! Tech at Nalley Lexus tightened some bolts, and the car know is absolutely dead quiet over speed bumps, etc. No idea what he tightened, but it is fixed, and they charged me nothing!!
Old 08-29-08, 11:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

front subframe.
Old 08-31-08, 08:19 AM
vfr
Driver School Candidate

Pure, are you saying there are bolts on the front subframe that need to be tightened? If so, I would love to hear from Atl to confirm this.
Old 08-31-08, 09:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That and the rear is supposed to be regular maintenance. I haven't done mine in a long time since it like 120 ft-lbs or there abouts. I couldn't get it to budge anyhow and it is quite difficult to get good leverage lying on the floor. It could be a possibility to check for all of us who have that sound.
Old 08-31-08, 08:01 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by vfr
Pure, are you saying there are bolts on the front subframe that need to be tightened? If so, I would love to hear from Atl to confirm this.
That is what they tightened, had to check the invoice. Both sides in front would clunk going over speed bumps, or turning wheel while parking. Now it's perfect. No sound, nothing. And they charged me $0 !!
Still have small shimmy in steering wheel from 60 to 70 mph. New tires, rotors turned, new pads. No idea, but wish that was as easy to fix. It's these damned small things that drive me crazy! Shimmy, power steering pump leaking ever so slightly, that stupid idiot light that tells you your headlights are on, that you can't dim (really hate that light !!!) Since it is impossible to leave your headlights on anyway, I don't need a light telling me the headlights are on. Wish there was a way to kill that.

Quick Reply: Annoying Clunk Sound- Strut Bar (The Mother thread)