LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New ls400 owner finally.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 05:46 PM
kcfromva
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ls400 owner finally.

Hey guys. Today was a great day. The 1994 ls400 I have been trying to buy for a year is finally mine. It belonged to an older couple that bought it new and garaged kept since. It has 128000 on it and it is really clean inside and out. There are a couple of problems that I know about but I'm sure more will show up when I start driving it. First problem is the seatbelt is slow to pull tight. Also the climate control is unreadable. The 6 disc CD player won't eject the tray. I don't think it has power.
The seatbelt I might have to replace. Are they still available ?
As far as the climate control. Should I just buy the whole unit? Is eBay the best place ?
any ideas on the CD player?
also it still has the phone in the center console. I will be removing it. Anything else I need to remove when I remove the phone like a controller?
Heres a pic of her. Yes it's a girl.
Attached Thumbnails New ls400 owner finally.-image.jpeg  
Old 11-04-16, 08:13 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Remove the phone, but don't get rid of it, if the car is still in good shape 20 years from now that may add more value to it, since is was purchased with it. The transceiver is not in the way just leave it where it is. Climate control send it to Tanin electric they will fix it or if you can do that sort of work buy the parts from them. And good find, take good care of it. They don't make them any more.
Old 11-04-16, 09:10 PM
kcfromva
Rookie

Thanks for the reply and advice. I appreciate the help. Any ideas on the cd changer?
Old 11-04-16, 10:17 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Very nice find! Welcome. Being that this car is getting older, make sure that you keep the body and the wheels waxed, if left outside, as well as the leather seats oiled. This will bring longevity to your car.

In terms of the CD changer, it may be disconnected, unless you see the orange "OPEN" button illuminated. If it's unplugged, I would just leave it alone. Sometimes, they have been known to pull extra amps from the battery while the car is off, leading to slow starts. If the "OPEN" light is still on, but the CD changer won't eject the cartridge, just unplug it.

For the climate control, you can buy the whole unit on Ebay, but you will need to make sure that the screen has been replaced/is good. It's cheaper to change out the screen yourself, if you have some good soldering skills and time; plus, you get to keep the original unit with the car.
Old 11-05-16, 12:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

I think the thing that causes the most problems with the cd player in the trunk is moisture. I just had a trunk leak problem a week ago and the cd cartridge sweated some and would come up as an error. Just drying it out fixed it. So does it make any noise when you push the open button? I just wish I could obtain the proper service info for the sound system on these older cars. There used to be outfits that would work on them but most of them now don't work on the older stuff anymore, I guess since the demand went down.
I did find something about a guy that replaced the laser that reads the cd because his was burnt out.
Old 11-05-16, 07:03 AM
kcfromva
Rookie

I have no lights coming on on the changer. Does the key have to be on? I wouldn't think so but I will figure this thing out. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-16, 08:38 AM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Nice find! Congrats and Welcome.

Mike
Old 11-05-16, 09:18 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by kcfromva
I have no lights coming on on the changer. Does the key have to be on? I wouldn't think so but I will figure this thing out. Thanks for the help.
The "OPEN" button light is always on, whether if the key is in or not. If it is off, your charger is unplugged or is not getting power. I would leave it alone, as it was probably draining the battery, which led to it being disconnected.
Old 11-05-16, 09:37 AM
kcfromva
Rookie

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
The "OPEN" button light is always on, whether if the key is in or not. If it is off, your charger is unplugged or is not getting power. I would leave it alone, as it was probably draining the battery, which led to it being disconnected.
that makes since but I will try and get it to work before I condemn it.
What about seatbelts? Are they able to be fixed or just replaced?
Also I am getting a code 41 so I am going to replace the tps sensor and see if it takes care of a hesitation I am getting at anything above half throttle.
Old 11-05-16, 11:35 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

If you push the button for the CD player it would make noise like its trying to kick it out. Does it make noise?
Old 11-05-16, 12:10 PM
kcfromva
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
If you push the button for the CD player it would make noise like its trying to kick it out. Does it make noise?
there is no noise and no lights.
Old 11-05-16, 01:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Check fuses and the connectors to it. As far as the button light being on I thought that it lit only when the trunk switch turns it on just like for the trunk light.
Old 11-05-16, 03:57 PM
kcfromva
Rookie

Ok thanks.
Old 11-05-16, 04:50 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kcfromva
that makes since but I will try and get it to work before I condemn it.
What about seatbelts? Are they able to be fixed or just replaced?
Also I am getting a code 41 so I am going to replace the tps sensor and see if it takes care of a hesitation I am getting at anything above half throttle.
These old lexus seat belts have 20 years of accumulated dirt on them. If you clean them, you will see that they retract a lot faster. Not like new, but faster.
Old 11-07-16, 11:48 PM
taiman
Driver School Candidate

Nice pick up

Quick Reply: New ls400 owner finally.