LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

97 LS400 will NOT enter programming mode?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 08:09 AM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 LS400 will NOT enter programming mode?

UPDATE: I disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before reconnecting the battery to clear any type of lock out code..? I am now able to access the programming mode. I used the manual lock/unlock switch on the drivers side door. After step 8. (the auto lock/unlock cycle) I hear a beep and then a quick double beep? Still no response from the key fob in programming it?

1. sitting in driver seat, with driver's door OPEN, press lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR to lock all doors, then manually unlock driver door only.

2. Insert YOUR key in ignition, DO NOT TURN, then remove key.

3. Using the same lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock-unlock in 5 cycles

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

6. Using the same lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, again slowly press lock-unlock in 5 cycles

7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to 'on' position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds. Turn off and remove key.

8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once by herself). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.

9. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, then release the button. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.

10. Close the door.

11. Open the door.

12. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should do a lock-unlock cycle.

13. Close the door

14. Press the lock button on the remote, the doors should lock.

15. Press unlock button and the doors should unlock.
My 97 LS400 will NOT enter programming mode so I can program my used remote. I have replaced the passenger front door actuator and Lock/Unlock switch on the same door that was not working. Now all the doors will cycle the lock and unlock series but the car still does NOT enter programming mode??? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, GPappy

Last edited by Kburches; 10-15-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 09:35 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kburches
My 97 LS400 will NOT enter programming mode so I can program my used remote. I have replaced the passenger front door actuator and Lock/Unlock switch on the same door that was not working. Now all the doors will cycle the lock and unlock series but the car still does NOT enter programming mode??? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, GPappy
I had the same problem with my car(1996). It's frustrating and I finally gave up and took it to a Toyota dealership thinking they might have a machine that could bypass what I was doing. No go, that had it for several hours then told me it could be multiple door actuators that were causing it not to go into programming mode(but they weren't specific). Let me know if you find a way(and what caused it) to get it into programming mode. I have two remotes that are just sitting there.
Old 10-15-16, 01:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1. sitting in driver seat, with driver's door OPEN, press lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR to lock all doors, then manually unlock driver door only.

3. Using the same lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, slowly press lock-unlock in 5 cycles

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

6. Using the same lock/unlock button ON THE DRIVERS DOOR, again slowly press lock-unlock in 5 cycles

7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to 'on' position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds. Turn off and remove key.

8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once by herself). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.

9. Now using the remote, push lock button, hold for one second, then release the button. The locks should cycle once. If not, start over and go slower.

10. Close the door.

11. Open the door.

12. Press the lock button on the remote. The locks should do a lock-unlock cycle.

13. Close the door

Please note, after the 1st step, you are moving the physical door lock toggle NOT the electronic door lock switch.
Old 10-15-16, 01:49 PM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

OK, Thanks. I disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before reconnecting the battery to clear any type of lock out code..? I am now able to access the programming mode. I used the manual lock/unlock switch on the drivers door. After the auto lock/unlock cycle I hear one beep and then a double beep? Still no response from the key fob in programming it?
Old 10-15-16, 02:39 PM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

I have already been to the local dealer. They charged me $45.00 to cut a new Lexus key for me. Very fair price I thought. However, the service manager told me that it was only a key to unlock my doors and would not start my car. They told me because the passenger side door lock actuator was not working they could not program the key to start the car and they could not program my remote FOB. I tried the key yesterday and it starts my car just fine. LOL, go figure.
Old 10-15-16, 06:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Kburches
I have already been to the local dealer. They charged me $45.00 to cut a new Lexus key for me. Very fair price I thought. However, the service manager told me that it was only a key to unlock my doors and would not start my car. They told me because the passenger side door lock actuator was not working they could not program the key to start the car and they could not program my remote FOB. I tried the key yesterday and it starts my car just fine. LOL, go figure.
The fob and immobilizer programming are totally separate. The immobilizer programming doesn't use the door locks IIRC.
Old 10-15-16, 09:10 PM
plexus914
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This procedure worked for my MKIII / '97 / UK-model.

Procedure:
Registration - FOB:

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to 'on' position (DON'T START), wait 2 seconds. Turn off and remove key.

A. turn to 'on' position 1 time is the “Add” mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes.
The ECU confirms this by
locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.

B. turn to 'on' position 2 times is the second mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones.
The ECU confirms this mode by
locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key

C. turn to 'on' position 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU.
It confirms this locking and unlocking the door
locks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded.
If no remotes are
programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times.
The ECU
will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.

10. Close the door.

11. Open the door.

13. Close the door

before it gets successfully programmed, you may hear a 10-second long beep.

Last edited by plexus914; 10-16-16 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-16-16, 09:15 AM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The fob and immobilizer programming are totally separate. The immobilizer programming doesn't use the door locks IIRC.
Shout out to PureDrifter. Thanks for your helpful input.
I am now able to enter the vehicle's programming mode. However, the new/used key FOB does not seem to be communicating with the vehicle. I will take it to the key shop and have it tested Monday. Yes, I have already tested the FOB battery and it is showing 3.8 v. I just don't know if it is transmitting any signal.? My FOB FCC ID is HYQ1512P. I have also seen online the required FCC ID is supposed to be HYQWDT-C.? Any input on this?
Old 10-16-16, 09:17 AM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by plexus914
This procedure worked for my MKIII / '97 / UK-model.

Procedure:
Registration - FOB:

4. Shut door.

5. Open door.

7. With the door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to 'on' position (DON'T START), wait 2 seconds. Turn off and remove key.

A. turn to 'on' position 1 time is the “Add” mode. This is used only on some models and it allows you to add a remote to the already existing remotes.
The ECU confirms this by
locking and unlocking the door locks automatically after you remove the key.

B. turn to 'on' position 2 times is the second mode which will erase all previously programmed remotes and allow you to program new ones.
The ECU confirms this mode by
locking and unlocking the door locks twice after you remove the key

C. turn to 'on' position 3 times is the third mode which tells you how many remotes are already programmed to the ECU.
It confirms this locking and unlocking the door
locks the amount of times applicable to the remotes coded.
If no remotes are
programmed then the ECU locks and unlocks the door locks 5 times.
The ECU
will hold up to 4 remotes at any one time.

10. Close the door.

11. Open the door.

13. Close the door

before it gets successfully programmed, you may hear a 10-second long beep.
Thanks plexus914.
I am now able to enter the vehicle's programming mode.
Old 10-17-16, 05:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Do you not have a known working remote? Check the FCC ID on that one.
Old 10-17-16, 06:37 AM
plexus914
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ES300...................HYQ1512P = 315 MHz
LS400 = FCC ID: HYQWDT-C = 314.4MHz

Last edited by plexus914; 10-17-16 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-17-16, 09:41 AM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Do you not have a known working remote? Check the FCC ID on that one.
No, I do not have a working key FOB. That would be too easy... (I only got one key with the vehicle when I purchased it.)
Old 10-17-16, 10:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The FCC ID is HYQWDT-C.
Old 10-29-16, 01:14 PM
Kburches
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaaa
I had the same problem with my car(1996). It's frustrating and I finally gave up and took it to a Toyota dealership thinking they might have a machine that could bypass what I was doing. No go, that had it for several hours then told me it could be multiple door actuators that were causing it not to go into programming mode(but they weren't specific). Let me know if you find a way(and what caused it) to get it into programming mode. I have two remotes that are just sitting there.
Victory!!!
Thanks again to all that helped with input. RA40, plexus914, PureDrifter,
I finally received a fob with the correct FCC: HYQWDT-C. The correct FCC: number is clearly listed in the owner's manual BTW. Utilizing the drivers door manual lock/unlock switch to enter the vehicle programming mode worked perfectly the first time. (NOT the switch that locks and unlocks ALL the doors).
Old 10-29-16, 04:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Good to hear, thanks for the follow-up.

Quick Reply: 97 LS400 will NOT enter programming mode?