LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TRAC related question

Old 05-13-03, 06:10 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAC related question

i didnt know whether it was related to the engine or suspension so i just decided to post it here. well the TRAC light indicator came on today and yesterday and a few random times in the past. what kind of problems are associated with this? its just the TRAC light that came on and not TRACoff and enginecheck indicator. any thoughts would be helpful. thanks
Old 05-13-03, 11:25 AM
dunn378
Pole Position

i don't know if it's a problem or not but i notice that my trac light flashes sometimes when i go over larger bumps on the gas. i guess the computer detected some wheel spin.
Old 05-13-03, 11:58 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

oh no....tha blinking your having is fine. it's suppose to do that. tha computer is reading the wheel spin i believe. but nonetheless, its normal. what im having is a continuous "TRAC" light indicator. but if i let the engine sit for like 30 minutes, then turn the car back on, its fine. dont know what it could be. does "TRAC" deal with the brake system? i would really like to know
Old 05-13-03, 02:53 PM
chliansh
Rookie

Pretty sure its a lazy 02 sensor, they have a pre heat cycle to bring them up to operating temp that tends to fail as they get old..............

Mine does the same thing too,
If I watch the cluster my check engine light comes on for a quick second with the trac light then the check engine goes out. After that the trac light stays on till I restart the car (light on means trac control disabled).
My understanding is that 1 of the 3 O2 sensors is giving a signal that says its out of range and possibly bad.
Old 05-13-03, 06:57 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

"damnit jim"........hehe star trek

ahhhh swizzle sticks....so must i replace all three or just the bad one? how can i determine the bad one? do u have to manually check it? or can it be done by diagonstics? i need one bad, or some dependin on whichever. which clublexus member wants to sell me their new one?
Old 05-14-03, 08:01 PM
chliansh
Rookie

Keep driving it, should clear itself.
Mines seems to do it for a couple of weeks in the fall and then a couple of weeks in the spring but then goes away. Must be something with the temp too? Eventualy you will probably need a new o2 sensor. You might also try dissconnecting the battery to reset the ecu.
Old 05-14-03, 09:06 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

yah i tried to disconnect the battery for a while yesterday and cleaned the endcaps of the battery from corrosion. i also tried disconnecting the TRAC fuse then replacing it, but it didnt change. well my oberservations today continued the same way ... when i first started my car today, it was fine(no trac light, no check engine light). i noticed when the temperature of the engine increased the trac light came on. it was a little less than half way. everytime i would accelerate past 20 the check engine light would go away. if i started braking less than 25, it popped up. some instances the check engine light wouldnt be there, just the TRAC light. it was hella weird. so i believe it is the 02 sensor. so does anyone know where i could go to get the 02 sensors? are all 3 sensors the same size and interchangeable? any info would be great thanks.

btw, the car drives fine. no significant problems such as hesitation or anything of that nature.

Last edited by LSPiNoY; 05-14-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 11:56 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude its most likely a o2 sensor.. you can get some cheap ones at a kragen or something.. O2 sensors dont make an impact on car at I dont think so... have you tried getting the code by a self diagnosis on your car.. that would help isolate the problem...

i beleive the LS4 has 4 o2 sensor .. (2 for each front cat) ... any lexus independent garage would charge around 35 bucks to find out which sensor if thta is the case..

the ECU could eventually clear itself,... it did on mine, but when i reset the battery it wouldnt go away..

let me know what year your car is.. if possible
Old 05-15-03, 01:00 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

thanks for the help everyone. i have a 1990 Lexus LS400 with 216,XXX miles on it. runs like a champ except for that check engine light and TRAC light. i'll just leave it sitting today and try to start it tomorrow. hope it will clear. where is kragen? thanks...
Old 05-15-03, 01:30 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

kragen is a local parts store.. your car should have 4 o2 sensor.. i just confirmed it with the lexus mechanic.. i beleive what you do is:

open up teh diognosis compartment on the engine under the hood.. use some jumper wires and connect TE1 ro E1 and then turn on the ignition to on and read the check engine light flashing.. for example.. if it flashes twice, then flashes 5 more times fast, then you know the chech engine code is 25...

and use a volt meter... you run the positive through O1, and negative, or ground ... and see if it crosses... then do it for the rest of the O s and you should find out if one of the O2 sensors are broken.
Old 05-15-03, 08:11 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

thanks for the help persian451. i appreciate it. i just looked at the car manual today and found the same thing you were talking about!!!!!!(the codes and what they mean) i will have to get a professional to do it. i dont want to short circuit any wires or place it in the wrong holes. no pun intended. but its better to be safe than sorry. i will let u know by this weekend what happens. maybe it will go away by then. by any chance do u know how much they run for each 02 sensor? it must be a pain in tha ****.
Old 05-16-03, 01:52 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

the self diagnosis aint a big deal but like you said... it beter safe

as far as teh o2 sesnros go.. i havent changed mine yet.. but i've seen the prices range from 50-150 dollars depending on teh brand and whatnot.. ask a mechanic and see what they say.. and let me know if you can.. i dont think it has to be a lexus o2 sensor
Old 05-16-03, 05:35 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

yah i'll probably go see a mechanic tomorrow. i've tried everything possible from switching in a new filter, cleaning the throttle body, checking for obstructions that might be clogging up the path for air, letting the battery reset, cleaning the endcaps again. after i put everything back together, started the car and no lights. thought i had it too. but after the temperature of the engine increased....what do you know.....trac light comes on. definitely seeing the mechanic tomorrow to give me the diagonsys. i will let you know what the outcome is.

Last edited by LSPiNoY; 05-16-03 at 05:38 PM.