LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is the word on steering rack brands these days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 07:30 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
Default What is the word on steering rack brands these days?

Every LS400 I've ever messed with has a power steering problem or another. My new project LS400 is no different. I removed the solenoid and cleaned the screen. The screen is partially tore in a few bays. I've also never seen a totally 100% in-tact screen. They're alway's torn somewhere. I REALLY wish they were available separately. I would probably pay $20 or more for the damn thing. After a few hundred miles I feel the steering tightening up again and I know exactly what is going on. The screen is clogging again and there may be a leak or two on the rack itself. I once had to replace an entire rack because the screen was completely missing and the solenoid would act up often. None of that is available separately so a new salvaged rack was the next best ticket, and it's still running fine a several years later.

Now, I'm going to try a couple of different things to try to keep this from happening. I've already flushed the power steering fluid with new ATF. There must be some contaminate in the system still. The screen is very small and doesn't take much to clog up. I'm going to try installing this on the return line to catch some debris instead of the solenoid screen catching it.

The new pressure control with solenoid valve is $625. That's the only way to get a new solenoid and screen from Toyota. New racks from Toyota are about $1,500. If I had a mint low mile LS400 I would probably go that route if needed. But my car is a driver with several cosmetic and mechanical flaws that I'm working on.

The only reasonable solution is replacing the whole rack with an aftermarket unit when you start having racks issues. What brands out there are good quality that come with the pressure control with solenoid valve installed. Aftermarket companies like to sell just the mechanical rack and pinion and you have to swap everything else. That is obviously less than ideal. ACDelco sells this rack on RockAuto for $335 after core with a lifetime warranty.

What have you guys used and had good luck with in the past few years?

Last edited by RA40; 09-03-16 at 08:59 AM. Reason: title adjust
Old 09-02-16, 07:31 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

I wish you could edit titles.

world=word....
Old 09-02-16, 08:47 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry, no advice on replacement racks, but on the screen clogging issue ...

I cleaned the screen in my '91 shortly after I bought it from my father-in-law (original owner) at ~160k miles. Clogged badly, screen a little torn. I have no doubt that this was the first time the screen saw the light of day since the car was built. It made a dramatic improvement in the PS feel.

I cleaned it again a few months later = some debris, but not bad. Then again a year or so later and it was perfectly clear. I had been planning to make checking/cleaning it a regular maintenance thing, but later concluded it was not needed.

I also installed a magnefine ATF/PSF filter on the return line to the PSF reservoir, which hopefully catches a lot of stuff. I also rebuilt my PS pump, but that was mainly to eliminate leaks.

Anyway, the point is that the screen will be clogged when you first get to it because nobody outside this list even knows it exists. It might be a little clogged on a second check, but in general you should be able to get the system so it stays clear.
Old 09-03-16, 12:09 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

There was no pursuit of perfection in that whole deal. Like wrenching flats that are so thin and nothing will fit it, I tried a punch and could not get it to move. And what is with the deal of no replacement screen? I'm betting there is something some place that will match up and work, it is kind of like some other parts that can't be had for these cars. Its a matter of finding something that will work. Maybe even having some manufactured and then sell to auto parts houses and on these forums. Lexus should have been first in the early 90's with electric power steering then we wouldn't have to deal with this.
Old 09-03-16, 08:41 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Am I correct that the UCF21's don't have said 'screen' in the solenoid? In fact the solenoid looks completely different (bolt holding it on) and there is talk about a screen in the reservoir...
Old 09-03-16, 10:42 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

my reservoir definitely has a screen in it. it's just a thin piece of very fine wire mesh. my rack is leaking a bit of air into it and it makes a slight whining noise from the resulting air pocket, i once took out the reservoir and totally cleaned it out which made a slight difference but the air leaking into the rack still causes the steering to lose some of the grandpa floatiness when it's warmed up and the rpms are low
Old 09-03-16, 01:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I had whine in mine till I replaced the pump, then the pump leaked. Not too many other cars have the steering problems that these things have.
Old 09-04-16, 12:03 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

From what I observed on my '91 (and corroborated by everything I've read on this list), I think it is futile to do anything on the PS on these cars until you have accessed and cleaned that solenoid screen. The clog at that location will cause poor PS performance and higher pressure at every point upstream, including within the pump, leading to leaks and accelerated wear.

I used a big slotted screwdriver as a chisel to break loose the difficult nut. For me it was not too difficult, but this has always been a CA car, and I know that makes a big difference.
Old 09-05-16, 03:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't trust commercial rebuilds due to poor experiences. I'm a fan of getting your rack rebuilt by a good local rebuilder. Living in southern California I'm lucky enough to have an abundance of skilled labor nearby.

Had my rack rebuilt locally for far less than a "rebuilt" unit, it's been going strong for 4+ years.
Old 09-05-16, 02:06 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i bought mine from www.mylparts.com with the discount code from this site i got a discount as well. aftermarket steering parts are garbage. bbb and a1 cardone have littered the market with crap.
Old 09-06-16, 03:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by python
i bought mine from www.mylparts.com with the discount code from this site i got a discount as well. aftermarket steering parts are garbage. bbb and a1 cardone have littered the market with crap.
even with discounts the OEM rack is >$1200 when I checked several years ago for my '99. not worth that in the vast majority of cases when a good shop can replace the seals and bushings relatively easily.
Old 09-10-16, 02:55 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

I can't find a seal kit available from Lexus... Would you have to buy each individual O ring, seal, and gasket from Lexus?
Omega offers one (2226) for a '99. If aftermarket is the only option any thoughts on which brand to use?

Last edited by bradland; 09-11-16 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-10-16, 10:32 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And o rings cost big at the dealer, huge price, I just ordered a few today.
Old 09-11-16, 08:22 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Originally Posted by dicer
And o rings cost big at the dealer, huge price, I just ordered a few today.
You're talking about rack o-rings?
Old 09-11-16, 12:28 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
even with discounts the OEM rack is >$1200 when I checked several years ago for my '99. not worth that in the vast majority of cases when a good shop can replace the seals and bushings relatively easily.
my steering was binding,not a seal or oring issue. besides ur relying on a shop to replace orings and seals correctly only to then have go through the trouble of taking it out and in and it might not have fixed the problem. no thanks..new ps pump and rack..all new hoses. ill deal with the extra cost with the peace of mind that my car has been fixed correctly and wont have to do it for over 100,000 miles.

Quick Reply: What is the word on steering rack brands these days?