LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Installing LOC onto head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 03:49 AM
Eikou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing LOC onto head unit?

This may sound like a very dumb beginner question, but I'm currently in the process of installing subs in my 1995 Ls400, I'm very close to finishing but the one last problem that I have is wiring up the LOC (Line Out Converter) into my factory Nakamichi radio head unit.

The LOC requires the left speaker (-) (+) wires and right speaker (-) (+) wires. So my problem here is which color wire belongs to which speaker? Some wire diagrams I found online doesn't really help me distinguish the wires and some tell me that there isn't a negative wire.

Also would it be more appropriate to wire the rear or front speakers or is there a way to wire both?

Thanks.

Old 08-25-16, 04:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you're just installing subs then why would you need to tap speaker wires? Did you accidentally purchase a mutli-channel LOC?

The standard method for wiring an aftermarket sub into the LS would involve running the original subwoofer line into the input of the LOC with the output going into your sub amp.
Old 08-25-16, 05:37 PM
Eikou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you're just installing subs then why would you need to tap speaker wires? Did you accidentally purchase a mutli-channel LOC?

The standard method for wiring an aftermarket sub into the LS would involve running the original subwoofer line into the input of the LOC with the output going into your sub amp.
I'm not really sure if it is a single-channel LOC, it is a PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC.

Alright, I'll try run the LOC into the subwoofer line and see how that goes. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-26-16, 12:55 AM
Eikou
Driver School Candidate

I didn't make myself clear, but I am also using an aftermarket amp for the subs. Am I supposed to splice the factory amp wire to my aftermarket amp? If so what'll power the speakers and the LOC since my factory amp will be turned off? I'm not really the kind of person that has knowledge about wiring.

So I'm not sure if I'm thinking the right way, so I'd appreciate some clarification! Thanks.
Old 08-27-16, 03:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

It sounds like you need to take it to an audio shop and have them set it up. The way it is wired varies depending on model year and if you have a nak or non-nak car.

You will need to confirm but in the '95 NAK cars I believe the AMP only powers the sub, in which case you can wire in one of two ways including one method that eliminates the factory amp. If the amp also powers the door speakers then you would leave all wiring beteen the headunit and amp alone, and simple connect your LOC to the subwoofer output of the OEM amp.
Old 08-27-16, 09:55 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Just curious, how can a speaker have a plus or minus terminal? It is an AC type unit. Is one of the wires grounded to the body?
Old 08-27-16, 04:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by dicer
Just curious, how can a speaker have a plus or minus terminal? It is an AC type unit. Is one of the wires grounded to the body?
Have you never worked on any audio equipment? Audio equipment never uses a common ground, hence all speakers usually needing a positive and negative lead to the amp/headunit. The amplifier (and/or headunit) depending on the vehicle are grounded, grounding the speakers to the chassis would result in varying terrible things, including frying the amps, terrible ground loops, and lots of interference if it worked at all. The dedicated negative leads are used for several things, phasing being one of the major reasons.

Home theater is the same way. Nevr use a common ground unless your amp/speaker setup is by some miracle set up for that.
Old 08-27-16, 05:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Okay its a sound phase thing, sorry I wasn't thinking that, I'm an old school 1 speaker in the old truck guy. It would make a stereo system sound bad having the phases 180 from what they should be, it just hit me. No I have not worked on sound systems. I was relating to test equipment and they can use a common ground. AF generators and such.