LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Got me my first Lexus! 99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 06:44 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks! I am really enjoying this car. Can't wait to get the front end back up to par, its not terrible, but I am very picky

Getting some new tires here next month. Costco will have $70 rebate on the Michelin Premier A/S. Does anyone have any input on these? I was planning on going with the stock size at 225/60/R16. Any inputs to a slightly different size as well?

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus are actually ranked higher. I have the Pirelli's on my truck and well they aren't the best in that application. Totally different tire I'm sure. Any experience with these?

I am on Tirerack for those reviews. It will most likely come down to where I can get them and have them installed at.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-16, 08:20 PM
wolfy53
Driver

Alright Got the oil changed new air filter, and cabin air filter, and flushed the power steering fluid! Some penzoil platinum wix filters and some fresh dextron III fluid for the power steering system car runs great!

I got a chance to check out my suspension. Both tie rod ends are shot! Lots of play on both sides. New moog ones are on their way. Also the strut bar bushings don't look great. I am going to order some new bars here tomorrow.

I was just planning on getting the entire bar. $225 bucks shipped for both sides. I did look through a lot of those threads, but still am looking for the toyota / lexus part numbers for just the bushings. I can have a shop press them in. I just wanted to price compare a bit. I am going OEM parts either way.

Does anyone have the part numbers for just the bushings?
Old 08-28-16, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Congrats on your car!

i have those Pirellis on my LS460. Great tires, very smooth and quiet. The Premiers would be nice too I'm sure.
Old 09-07-16, 07:04 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Thanks for that incite. I am ending up with the Michelin's. Costco has a nice rebate right now on them.

So I think I got the car back up to par. I replaced the strut rods on the front both sides and replaced both outer tie rod ends. They were shot for sure. Now the clunk is gone and there is no more vibration when stopping faster than 45mph. Car rides great again.

The tie rod ends were loose for sure. A quick wiggle inspections proved that. The Strut bar bushings were torn a bit, and cracked. I went a head and replaced them with new ones from Lexus.

Car will get some new tires hopefully today, and then an alignment tomorrow. I still have a fuel filter to put on, and I will take it sometime soon to a Toyota dealer to have the transmission flushed. I flushed the power steering fluid last week. I got the interior cleaned up. Got the leather cleaned and conditioned. Took a soft nylon brush to get it completely clean. I use Zaino products. Leather is soft as new again!

Might I add, that I really like this car! It drives and handles awesome. Love the power and the quality of this car. Couldn't ask for much more! It is a true drivers car, not just some numb point A to B car.
Old 09-07-16, 09:55 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 246 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfy53
Might I add, that I really like this car! It drives and handles awesome. Love the power and the quality of this car. Couldn't ask for much more! It is a true drivers car, not just some numb point A to B car.
it's certainly more benz than buick every single aspect of this car is just completely optimized and performs flawlessly! i've had mine since 2011 with 79,000 miles, i've put about 65,000 miles on it, and it goes and drives exactly the same. screw the f sport, bring back the floaty grandpamobile!!
Old 09-07-16, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it's certainly more benz than buick every single aspect of this car is just completely optimized and performs flawlessly! i've had mine since 2011 with 79,000 miles, i've put about 65,000 miles on it, and it goes and drives exactly the same. screw the f sport, bring back the floaty grandpamobile!!
Says the guy who lowered his LS and put bigger wheels on it and deleted the mufflers. Making it a lot like....an F Sport!
Old 09-07-16, 10:33 PM
sndlight
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Says the guy who lowered his LS and put bigger wheels on it and deleted the mufflers. Making it a lot like....an F Sport!
Herp derp!
Old 09-07-16, 10:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

screw the f sport, bring back the floaty grandpamobile!!
I totally agree with you.

I have no interest in the F sport either for really ONE reason..... No woodgrain!!!!! Am I the only one who feels this way? In my 80k flagship luxury car I want woodgrain, not aluminum inside. The thing I love most about my 430 is the copious amounts of wood scattered throughout. Other than a Bentley or Roller, I can't off the top of my head think of a luxury sedan that has more wood trim than the 430 does.

I will buy a '14 LS460 one day and can't wait to see how that interior compares. Not as much wood, but completely updated with that stunning bamboo or Shirakublahblah trim. I drove an '11 and it felt like a significant step down in luxury by comparison. I feel very confident that they addressed the interior issue with the '13 upgrade, and will find out one day.
Old 09-07-16, 10:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'm not an F Sport guy, I too like the wood grain. But, that's why they make options.

As as for the wood, I don't see where the LS430 had more wood grain than my LS460 does...in fact the 460 has more wood on the steering wheel, woof all the way across the dash instead of just above the glovebox and the drivers vent, wood on the rear pull down console even when it doesn't have the rear controls, wood on the back of the front console around the air vents...

BTW, an F Sport is more like $90k.
Old 09-07-16, 11:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Yeah I'm not an F Sport guy, I too like the wood grain. But, that's why they make options.

As as for the wood, I don't see where the LS430 had more wood grain than my LS460 does...in fact the 460 has more wood on the steering wheel, woof all the way across the dash instead of just above the glovebox and the drivers vent, wood on the rear pull down console even when it doesn't have the rear controls, wood on the back of the front console around the air vents...

BTW, an F Sport is more like $90k.

If the 460 has wood in places you can't see as the driver, then technically yeah maybe more, but side by side looking in the driver's door 430 vs 460 or from above, at least to my eyes the 430 has more wood.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-08-16 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 11:46 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 246 Likes on 187 Posts

touché...

this was just an experiment though, the next time i need new shocks i'm going back to stock suspension and getting smaller LS wheels. i like how the car looks now, but it's really not worth it to be lowered. don't get me wrong it's still incredibly smooth but it doesn't take bumps or crappy roads very well anymore and having even less ground clearance can be a cause for concern at times.
Old 09-07-16, 11:55 PM
sndlight
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smooth but it doesn't take bumps or crappy roads very well anymore and having even less ground clearance can be a cause for concern at times.

100% worth it for me to trade off the ride quality for the laid out look. It cannot go back.
Old 09-08-16, 02:58 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

How do you condition the leather? I thought that it was not possible to do that, since it is painted / dyed and sealed. Not like a raw leather saddle or something.
Old 09-08-16, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
If the 460 has wood in places you can't see as the driver, then technically yeah maybe more, but side by side looking in the driver's door 430 vs 460 or from above, at least to my eyes the 430 has more wood.
Where is this wood on the 430 that isn't there on a 460? There is no area on the 430 that has wood that isn't wood on the 460 (I had both remember).

Certainly the layout of the interior is a little different, just because the design is different, but they have not removed wood from areas where there was wood in the 430.
Old 09-08-16, 06:05 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Originally Posted by dicer
How do you condition the leather? I thought that it was not possible to do that, since it is painted / dyed and sealed. Not like a raw leather saddle or something.
That is true its not Raw leather but pretty much nothing is. It still needs to be cleaned and conditioned. I have done that on every leather vehicle I own and the leather always comes back much softer. I should have taken pictures, I just didn't have the time. Mine looked what most people would call clean, however you could see dirt in the wrinkles of the leather.

It was also just dry feeling and shinny. Now it is very soft and pliable and a nice Matte finish. The number one killer of leather is to let it dry out and let the oils and dirt from every day use stay on there. Keeping it clean and conditioned and good leather, like what is in the lexus will last a lifetime.

Ever see someones leather that is cracking and breaking apart? I guarantee that wasn't from over conditioning and cleaning. That was from just letting the sun dry it out and never cleaning or conditioning it. Yes that is another tip is to get your windows tinted. If you don't like that look you can get some that is very very light and not even noticeable but will cut out like 95% + of the UV rays.

Another major thing is to get a good leather product. Zaino is top notch, lexol is good to I believe. Don't just go armor all and smother it all over your seats, not the same thing at all.

I will get some pics up of my car soon.

Cool conversation on the LS460. I too like the wood grain look. However I do like the modern look of some of the new cars, with the materials they are using now look great to me. Im in my mid 30's had a 2008 txs, loved that car, next was a 2010 nissan maxima, awesome car tons of power, then our 2012 nissan quest, yes mini van I am a dad x 3. my driver is my 2011 f150 with the sweet 6.2L V8. Our main family hauler. Huge inside, and my 1950 chrysler windsor car. original everything 38k mile car

A pic of the car, because I know you guys appreciate a nice car

Last edited by wolfy53; 09-08-16 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Got me my first Lexus! 99 LS400