LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

never ending bubbles in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 12:11 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

To rule out any leaks (and air pockets) I'd try a couple of things -- first do a positive pressure test, and if it passes, then use a vacuum filler and see if it holds vacuum before you fill it. That will rule out any leaks (both positive and negative pressure) as well as make sure you don't have any pesky air pockets. If it still builds up air in the system after all that I'd say time for new head gaskets. But with the lack of combustion gas in your tests hopefully it's just a huge air pocket or leak.
Old 08-22-16, 01:37 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
To rule out any leaks (and air pockets) I'd try a couple of things -- first do a positive pressure test, and if it passes, then use a vacuum filler and see if it holds vacuum before you fill it. That will rule out any leaks (both positive and negative pressure) as well as make sure you don't have any pesky air pockets. If it still builds up air in the system after all that I'd say time for new head gaskets. But with the lack of combustion gas in your tests hopefully it's just a huge air pocket or leak.
Hey that is really cool. Thanks man, I never knew that tool was out there. I will order one!

cool intro to the tool
Old 08-22-16, 01:37 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtdave2
obviously the temp is the main issue. I always have to chuckle at comments like this, yes, we all know it should not get that hot, it is the whole reason for this thread.

heater works fine, I cant use an OE radiator because this is motor swap. did you read the thread?
Very well. You're on your own my friend.
Old 08-22-16, 01:44 PM
djamps
Intermediate

You're welcome, sometimes vacuum filling is the only way to get most the air out. I'm about to do it on my truck which has a very similar issue (minus the overheating).
Old 08-22-16, 02:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

99% of the time cooling issues with the 1uz are NOT head gaskets. The motors are just relatively tolerant of cooling issues. If the HC testing is showing nothing, perhaps you should take the vehicle to an experienced mechanic and let them check the cooling loop out.

Because this is a swapped car, it's very easy for the factory bleed point to not be high enough to get air out of the system.
Old 08-22-16, 02:48 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Very well. You're on your own my friend.
Sorry Banshee, I did not mean to make you angry. I need all the help I can get, so don't take my comments as meaning I don't want your help. All I do ask is that you read the thread, both your comments were really not helping find the issue. (you were not the only one, go read the post and see what I mean) They were both answered and or described in earlier posts. I suppose it just goes with the territory on mechanical boards, there are people who just want to show how smart they are, and those who comment after only reading the one or two posts in the thread.

Please, I'd love to hear input.

Old 08-22-16, 03:48 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I have nothing to add but nice way to diffuse the situation. Come on banshee join back in the Convo.
Old 08-22-16, 04:01 PM
djamps
Intermediate

What kind of cooling fan setup do you have? OEM? Can't tell from the pics. Try removing thermostat or drilling a few holes in it? If enough air is trapped in the block the Tstat might not even open. Given your lack of 'flow' along with bubbles this is a possibility.
Old 08-22-16, 06:45 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

I didn't want to destroy the new oem thermo, so I had a piece from another one. didn't have the bypass plug, but shouldn't make that big of a difference. Put it in, bled a little and test drove. no difference at all. Though I must say I love hot rodding that RV, people are not used to seeing a Toyota rv hauling *** sounding like a race car, it is rather awesome.
Name:  20160822_183642_zpsppbkt4ob.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  176.2 KB

Here are some picts. the fan is a spiral high flow, radiator is an after market one many people use for a v8 conversion. I have a air dam built that scoops air and drives in into the radiator, see it on the bottom. the fan on the side is a combo oil and trans cooler that is vented out of the bay.

Name:  20160822_190100_zpsceanfb3z.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  256.2 KB
Name:  b846f17d-1cd1-4a42-ba10-5f84ff57ad84_zpsfcgnuhaj.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  371.7 KB
Old 08-22-16, 06:48 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

Name:  20160822_190040_zpszmbhf1cv.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  20160822_190019_zpsy7leycyw.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  236.6 KB
Old 08-22-16, 06:56 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

one thing that I have noticed. when you squeeze the top hose and rev the motor, I am not feeling it expand. it has in the past, but not right now. it is almost like the fan blades are half the size or something. guess that could be the cavitation from the bubbles. one other clue i guess..

I did find this cool video to test for coolant in the oil. I did it, no boil...so yet another test that shows no blow head gasket.

Old 08-22-16, 07:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

No wonder, its not an LS400, they don't use a funky radiator like that, its probably trapping lots of air.
Old 08-22-16, 07:27 PM
Mtdave2
Driver

many people have used these radiators for a 1uzfe swap.
Old 08-23-16, 05:49 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default One last thing

This is rare, but everything seems to point to a lack of coolant flow. If you have confirmed that there are no restrictions in either the radiator or the engine, then there's only one thing left: the water pump itself. Even though the bearings and seal may appear fine, it is possible that the impeller is defective or severely corroded, and is no longer performing as a centrifugal pump.
Using the garden hose setup, and the upper radiator hose removed, let water flow into the radiator until it comes out at the top of the engine. Start the car, quickly observe if the flow coming out of the engine increases, AND if it responds to throttle taps. If not, you've got a bad water pump.
Old 08-23-16, 06:12 AM
Mtdave2
Driver

Originally Posted by fixmiester
This is rare, but everything seems to point to a lack of coolant flow. If you have confirmed that there are no restrictions in either the radiator or the engine, then there's only one thing left: the water pump itself. Even though the bearings and seal may appear fine, it is possible that the impeller is defective or severely corroded, and is no longer performing as a centrifugal pump.
Using the garden hose setup, and the upper radiator hose removed, let water flow into the radiator until it comes out at the top of the engine. Start the car, quickly observe if the flow coming out of the engine increases, AND if it responds to throttle taps. If not, you've got a bad water pump.
I will drain the coolant out tonight or tomorrow, then ill try the garden hose thing. See what I find out. I will use that cool vacuum fill tool to pull a vacuum and see if there are any leaks, and then fill. hopefully this will fix the odd *** problem.

If you watch the video showing the pressure gauge, when I rev the pressure does go up. do you think that counts as "responds to throttle taps"?

Quick Reply: never ending bubbles in coolant