LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fragile gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 03:32 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fragile gauges

I just bought the second cluster for this car since we've had it. The first one the tach was off the speedometer was erratic and the gas gauge would not work. So I picked up another one and it was good for parts. I swapped out the fuel gauge and the odometer and everything worked just fine until they drove the car to Huntsville, AL for a event and they had those warning strips it the road letting you know of a stop sign and my wife said they were huge, shook the whole car. Then shortly after that the speedo gauge fell to the bottom. I pulled the cover off and the needle just fell out in my hand with a couple of thin wires attached and the needle itself where it seated into the gauge was broke in half. Unreal. Finally get a fully working cluster and that? Are they that fragile or just age. I have another one coming cause I don't have time and $500 for a repair is a not a option. Anyone have issues like this?
Old 08-16-16, 04:33 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I wonder what Tanin has to say about them? These cars have some good points and its so surprising that they have all the problems that they do. Its like if you take a cross country trip a person better have a good stash of parts to take with.
Old 08-16-16, 04:47 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found it odd. Maybe in Alabama since so many people drive big trucks then it is not a big deal. I did find the parts of the old cluster and I did find the needle off the old tack and speedo and was able to plug it in and it worked but does not light up of course. The car is rock solid though we did set the drivers memory positions and as the column was moving back and forth I saw a small trickle of smoke so yep, I figure the motor in the column is starting to go. But, it runs and drives great.
Old 09-12-16, 01:30 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by KJG92
I just bought the second cluster for this car since we've had it. The first one the tach was off the speedometer was erratic and the gas gauge would not work. So I picked up another one and it was good for parts. I swapped out the fuel gauge and the odometer and everything worked just fine until they drove the car to Huntsville, AL for a event and they had those warning strips it the road letting you know of a stop sign and my wife said they were huge, shook the whole car. Then shortly after that the speedo gauge fell to the bottom. I pulled the cover off and the needle just fell out in my hand with a couple of thin wires attached and the needle itself where it seated into the gauge was broke in half. Unreal. Finally get a fully working cluster and that? Are they that fragile or just age. I have another one coming cause I don't have time and $500 for a repair is a not a option. Anyone have issues like this?
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. Just chiming in on the cluster since it sounds like you are having some frustrating issues. When we work on these clusters, we package them extremely well when shipping because of how expensive and delicate they are. Not knowing who repaired the last cluster and how it was installed, the parts shouldn't be falling out by hitting a bump in the road. It doesn't sound right at all.

That being said, we work on them often and can assist you in the repair. If you are interested, this is the link to the repair service and the pricing options:

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/1...ter_repair.htm

We can't diagnose a cluster until it is with us though, so if the repair service pricing is a concern, give us a call today and we can go over the details.

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com