LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Too much to pay for Brake Service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 12:00 PM
Marx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much to pay for Brake Service?

I took my 92 LS in today for brake service, and it seems that all four rotors need to be replaced. The fronts cost $135 ea. and the rear $205 ea. All told, to replace the four rotors with labor I'm looking at just over $1050. Does this seem about par for this type of service?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-03, 01:53 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that include new brakes? If so that price is about right. I had to pay over $600 just to replace 2 front rotors and pads and the rear are more expensive. I just bought the parts over the counter and paid Midas to install them. Just make sure they don't break the pad wear sensor since it is 12 years old they are brittle and one of mine broke (because the guy wasn't careful) and they cost $55 a piece. the car will work just fine without them but the brake light in the dash will stay on and that becomes a nuisance (to me anyway).
Old 05-07-03, 02:08 PM
Marx
Rookie

No that does not include pads. I had already bought some performance pads, and they are putting those on. I guess I just have trouble believing that even with the drum part for the parking brake, rear rotors cost twice as much as front.

Car needs brakes, just gotta pay...
Old 05-07-03, 02:37 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

if your not going to use OEM they will probally squeak and again if not using OEM just take them to Midas or some other repuatable brake shop, those brakes are a no brainer and you shouldn't have to pay the 25-40% Lexus markup price.
Old 05-07-03, 04:03 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

I must say that I am supprised at the number of rich people on this site.They must be because they Pay others to do the simplest task on their cars, and pay a lot of money to have it done. I am way older than most on this site. My generation was largely raised to only use outside labor on something we could not do ourselves. I own a Mercedes as well as a lexus. The people on the mercedes site are older and do a lot of their own work. There is a great deal of satisfaction, in fixing something for ones self. There is the alldata site on the web for a very low fee it will tell and show how to fix things on one car. Repair books. Everything that I use on the farm I buy a repair manual for. STOP being a victume Search the archives for parts sources work a learning something.good luck.

Last edited by rybikowsky; 05-07-03 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 04:49 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default May i suggest...

Buying Lexus parts at a 20% discount from dealers mentioned on this board and finding a local shop with reasonable labor rates to do the work.I ALWAYS save money this way
Old 05-07-03, 05:00 PM
Marx
Rookie

Well,. now I'm a little offended.

Knowing how to perform a repair and being in a position to do so are not the same. I was hoping that originally my rotors could be ground down, not entirely replaced, and I don't know of many DIYers who do this anyway. I am not rich. I am young (23), but not so unwise as you may think.

I did perform my own brake service last time, I was able to utilized my in-laws garage, and thier extensive collection of tools in addition to my own. However I have since moved across the country, a contiental divide away from the nearest relatives' garage and, for the time bieng, I am stuck in an apartment. I don't own my own a 2.5 ton floor jack, or jack stands. I haven't aquired a lifetimes worth of tools and if I start a repair and find I need to go to the autoparts store halfway through a job, I would have no way to get there, and an apartment parking lot is not the place to do this anyway.

Wisedom may come with age, but so does a, mortgage, a 2 car garage, and the complete Craftsman Mechanics set
Old 05-07-03, 05:13 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

First, if you are going to replace the rotors, then replace the pads, or the existing grooves in the pads will cut into your new rotors very quickly, and pads are cheap, 60 bucks. Next, you can get OEM or better rotors for about 400 bucks. DIY!!! This is quite easy, all you need is a C-Clamp. Total 2 hour job.
Old 05-07-03, 05:37 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Since you don't have a garage or the tools do like I said and take it to a local shop. They will put it all on for about $100. But, I would stay with OEM parts. Any other parts and you won't be happy.

Last edited by spxChrome; 05-07-03 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 08:48 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

I men't no offense. It goes unsaid that there are good reasons that some people cannott work on their cars. But every one can study the service books, and be in more of a position to know what the car needs and does not need. Brake rotors can be taken to a shop and turned for a very small price. many rotors have stamped in them the min. thickness allowed. Also a lexus shop will change any part they see as less than perfect. Rotors will work just fine with a small amount of groves. It will take awhile for the pads to wear in. Everytime I do some of my own maintenence, I think about how much money I saved and can spend it on something I want. It makes the thing I buy free in away. It is the money I would have given a shop.
Old 05-08-03, 10:37 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a set of Raybestos ceramic front pads with out changing my rotors and I'm very happy They don't squeak and don't pile up the nasty break dust. They're just as good as the dealer pads for about $50 bucks. Screw the dealer and their ridiculous prices when it comes to certain parts.
Old 05-09-03, 01:22 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rotors

My 94 LS had warped front rotors when I acquired it. Just to be on the safe side , I replaced the rears as well. A visual inspection proved that the rears were still in pretty good shape at 117,000 miles.

I went with Bradi rotors from Ricambi Sport. They are a Brembo subsidiary.
Fronts: J 083-2611 at $68.42 each
Rears: J 083-2609 at $59.24 each

Shipping added $48.00 dollars , but I was very pleased with the quality. Rotor Installation is not very difficult & should not cost more than $100.00

good luck
Old 05-09-03, 04:28 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So whom did I outbid on a set of stock rotors with stock pads for $100 on ebay?
Old 05-09-03, 05:19 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

not me, but thats a great price
Old 05-09-03, 07:50 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

go to ebay and Buy from iRotors ther cross drilled and slotted rotors set (front and back) for only 250 plus shipping.. the quality is really good too.. put some raybestos QS pads on there and you are good 2 go for a LONG time

Quick Reply: Too much to pay for Brake Service?