LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400..... starting to get picked on lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 05:33 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

anyone here in a place where these cars are super rare and are / or considered classics or collectible?
Old 07-18-16, 12:15 PM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in a very populated area ( northern virginia) and i rarely ever see a LS400. Once every couple of months i may see a 98-00 ls400. a few months ago at a 4 way intersection i came up to an identical 98 LS400 (baroque red) just like mine and the guy went out of his way to give a thumbs up. That was pretty cool.
Old 07-18-16, 06:09 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

People here seem to buy the ones that seem in good shape with fading paint etc. I guess they figure maaco can fix em.
I'm really surprised they never seem to show up forsale either. I think they end up parked or in junk yards. Not everyone can afford to keep an old car on the road.
Old 09-05-16, 08:32 PM
RalphWal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say it ain't so

Didn't know it would happen sooner rather than later - - giving up my beautiful '95 LS400. Drove like a top and up hill like there was no tomorrow. Accident tonight - front right fly rod went causing crash and damage to front right bumper and wheel - a mess. Raised my kids in this car - toughest car to let go - ever. Won't be the same without it. Best visibility, safety, and comfort.

Last edited by RA40; 09-05-16 at 10:00 PM. Reason: content removed, not for the discussions section
Old 09-06-16, 03:43 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RalphWal
Didn't know it would happen sooner rather than later - - giving up my beautiful '95 LS400. Drove like a top and up hill like there was no tomorrow. Accident tonight - front right fly rod went causing crash and damage to front right bumper and wheel - a mess. Raised my kids in this car - toughest car to let go - ever. Won't be the same without it. Best visibility, safety, and comfort.
fly rod.................... well the only thing I could find on that part is it is for fly fishing. So I'm going out on a limb here but I think you meant TIE rod?
If so I would like to know what happened to it, how did it "went"? Did it snap in two? Did the ball joint separate? Did it pull out of the rack? Please tell us so we can keep an eye on this disastrous problem, maybe you would save a life by telling us what to look for. Thanks.........
Old 09-06-16, 05:00 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
fly rod.................... well the only thing I could find on that part is it is for fly fishing. So I'm going out on a limb here but I think you meant TIE rod?
If so I would like to know what happened to it, how did it "went"? Did it snap in two? Did the ball joint separate? Did it pull out of the rack? Please tell us so we can keep an eye on this disastrous problem, maybe you would save a life by telling us what to look for. Thanks.........
This isn't on an LS400, but a few months ago I replaced the rear struts on my daughters 1998 4runner and the end link on it was totally off. It had rusted through from the inside out and just fell off. I replaced the other side too and saw where it had rusted about 50% through. Very stressful to see that part dangling in the air.
Old 09-06-16, 09:15 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I JUST bought a '96 LS400 to daily drive. Don't feel bad. LOL
Old 09-08-16, 03:05 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jaaa
This isn't on an LS400, but a few months ago I replaced the rear struts on my daughters 1998 4runner and the end link on it was totally off. It had rusted through from the inside out and just fell off. I replaced the other side too and saw where it had rusted about 50% through. Very stressful to see that part dangling in the air.
I don't know a 4 runner, but here I go out on a limb again, I don't think those are struts but more just shock absorbers? If it was a strut something would have fallen apart and it would be fender on tire or something.
Old 09-08-16, 07:46 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I don't know a 4 runner, but here I go out on a limb again, I don't think those are struts but more just shock absorbers? If it was a strut something would have fallen apart and it would be fender on tire or something.
Oops, I think you are right. It's been over a month or two. I know it had shocks on one end and struts on the other. I did both,, so think you are right and it was shocks that were in the rear.
I didn't take any pictures but here is a link to some:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...inks-pics.html

Last edited by jaaa; 09-08-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-10-16, 11:45 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i'm kinda late to this thread but most people that see my car don't realize it's a 20+ year old design. then when i'm going about 25 mph and step on it the trans promptly kicks down into 1st gear at about 4000 rpm and everyone is shocked at how quick the thing is. i work at a toyota dealership and i tell people i drive a 1999 toyota (not a lie haha) and people are like "well i'm sure you can't wait to work a little longer and get a new one right??" to which i'm always just like nahhhh..... until toyota makes another RWD V8 car with smooth flowing lines and a ride like a 747 i'm sticking with the LS 400 baby!! in terms of the total package, nothing else equals this car. i could easily afford to get an LS 430 but i think it's ugly and it's not technically "the Lexus" i haven't seen any champagne glasses stacked on the hood of an LS 430 lol...
Old 09-10-16, 12:55 PM
Rdrcr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not crazy. Keep driving it. They don't make them like this anymore.

My co-workers give me the same crap.

Mike
Old 09-12-16, 05:13 AM
Jlacck
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1998 black on black LS with all the extras except the navigation. I get so many compliments on the car and offers to sell it that it makes me amazed considering how old the car is. I'm actually interested in getting another car to use as my daily driver so that I can use the Lexus more as my leisure car. But baring any major mechanical breakdowns (had to replace the transmission recently at 275k), I'm planning to keep the car til it hits 300k miles :-)
Old 09-13-16, 02:42 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
in terms of the total package, nothing else equals this car. i could easily afford to get an LS 430 but i think it's ugly and it's not technically "the Lexus" i haven't seen any champagne glasses stacked on the hood of an LS 430 lol...

I FEEL THAT MAN. pretty much in the same here. don't get me wrong the Ls430 is a nice car but its just never did anything for me. its kinda forgettable. its fast and cushy and has plenty of room, yet theres just something missing. cant really place a finger on it. it just is.
The Ls400 is better looking. I like the long low look to it and just looks classier. plus I think it has better ergonomics and has a more comfortable feel to me. the 430 feels like im sitting in a hole. weird I know. I like the 460 and they have come down in price so I can absolutely afford one, but still, its missing something the 400 has that I cant describe. I think the word im thinking of is "soul"
Old 09-13-16, 06:04 PM
drseth
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think one area the Gen II LS400 comes up short is in the stereo department. Upgrading to a double DIN flat touchscreen with Bluetooth, NAV, and rear view camera would enhance the experience. Seems like the older I get, the less I listen to the radio, but I have these creature features in my other cars, and have gotten used to them.

It is really fascinating how a 22 year old car can still pass for a late model to average people.
Old 09-15-16, 09:20 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I don't know but after looking at all the orange peel type ripples in the paint of a new 75K dollar lexus today, it makes the older stuff look so much better in build quality.

Quick Reply: 1995 LS400..... starting to get picked on lol