LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400..... starting to get picked on lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 05:53 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default 1995 LS400..... starting to get picked on lol

I work at a lexus dealership and when clients of mine see my car I hear a lot of words like "classic" and "hold on to it", and im starting to get stopped at gas stations where people want to talk about it with me... im starting to feel like I own a legit classic car.. its cool but kinda weird at the same time.

however,

ive also got a lot of crap for using it as my daily and only current car. which isn't because I cant afford a new one, its that I don't want to drive anything else.

my car looks very dated in the employee parking lot in a sea of newer style IS, RX, ES, GS, etc which everyone else here drives. its the oldest car in the employee parking lot. my friends both in and out of work are starting to pick fun at it.. "get rid of that fossil, that relic", and "c'mon man step it up a notch and get a Ls460" "when are you getting an Ls460" "huh? you haven't got an Ls460 yet??"

at home the wife is getting scared to drive it and doesn't trust it cause of its age and miles, even though its never let us down. so I got a new mustang convertible to keep her happy and so that we have a modern car, but I never drive it and really don't want to.

even my family is telling me to move on and stop driving that "old beater" and "antique" "join the 21st century" etc. my folks even offered to help me with a down payment on a new IS, but I really don't want to join the 21st century yet, I like my relic, my beater, etc, and have absolutely ZERO interest in getting a new car no matter what it is. ive been dragging my heels on getting a new car for awhile, trying to stall people and ignoring suggestions..

the 20+ year old Ls400 is my PERFECT car. I swear it was built just for me its laid out so well.

am I crazy?? anyone else starting to get crap for owning one?
Old 07-15-16, 07:12 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Just smile and ignore them.

I'm not quite in the same boat as you. Most people actually believe mine is a 2007, or something of the like, because those around me aren't as familiar with the car as those you work with. These cars truly have timeless styling.

However, those making comments just don't know what they're talking about. Someone I knew has a 1970's Chevy Nova, which he has owned since new and still drives as a daily today. Any car can still be driven and be safe to this day, as long as it is maintained. Also, I strongly believe that these cars are better made with fewer compromises than newer models.

What we are seeing is a temporary period, where these cars are transitioning into the classic stage. Eventually, the comments about it being a "fossil" will decrease, and people will start to appreciate it more for its age - the same way that people look on to a Hudson Hornet or a Chevy Bel Air.

Your car isn't a beater; in fact, it's not even close! Most confuse the meaning of a "beater" with an older car, which isn't always true. If you feel right with your car, don't get rid of it - you may regret it. I know I would like to continue to drive an LS for many years to come, and I don't really give a darn for what others have to say about trading it in.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 07-15-16 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 08:18 AM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rob you are doing a great job!

I would just smile and say it drives better than a new one. and by the way I guarantee they all have $800 a month car payments as well...

car payments are for fools
Old 07-15-16, 08:44 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

ignore the critics...enjoy the ride... save your money and retire early.
No need to fix what isn't broken.

I'm proud of my 98 and it's longevity...

Like you I prefer the body style and ride over anything. Drive what you want and let others drive what they want.

They apparently drive to be seen. You drive to be you.
Old 07-15-16, 09:40 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is your life and that is what matters. Next time they tease you ask them to buy the car and you'll happily drive it.
Old 07-15-16, 09:48 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

haha very common on my end as well, especially from my parents who of all people know i enjoy older cars and don't need a monthly. they said "how are you going to score a wife with that?" to which i respond with, "if the girl is after the type of car i drive, that's not the girl for me". asian parents i tells ya!

i've seen a meme a few months back stating, "This car (new BMW M4) are for people who are trying to be somebody; This car (BMW 2002) are for folks who know who they are"...something like that but you get the point.
Old 07-15-16, 11:24 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome luxury car with a RWD V8! Cmon, what's not to love. People are just haters. Keep up the maintenance and drive it for a long time. I love mine and it is a DD also. I think it looks pretty stylish next to the modern huge grilled and led front ends of today Also, remember NA V8s are not going to be made any more, so enjoy it while you have it.
Old 07-15-16, 12:00 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I enjoy my LS400 more than my other two cars. I've driven it 21,000 miles in the past year and only put about 3,000 miles on the other two cars. My wife doesn't like to pick up her work people in it because she thinks they will think we are poor and can't afford a newer car. Makes me smile to myself. These cars are so smooth, quiet, reliable, plenty fast, good fuel economy and parts are relatively inexpensive. What more could you ask for. A friend used to say that we (Americans) buy cars to impress people that we don't even like. I'm way over buying cars as a status symbol.
Old 07-15-16, 12:07 PM
anesthesia
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are not alone, I enjoy driving my 99 more than anything, sure my nsx is fun and my s2000 are great but only for about an hour. I love driving my ls400 and admire that car, when I see people on the road driving one it actually look so good and timeless
Old 07-15-16, 12:50 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I would just simply tell everyone the day they make a car that looks as good as my LS then I'll consider getting a new one, as long as everyone chips in and helps me pay for it.
Old 07-15-16, 02:03 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a 1956 Buick and a 1963 Chevy regularly - my LS is my modern car. Don't worry about it.
Old 07-15-16, 02:24 PM
lexus_ls
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 99 LS and love that car more than my new IS. It's huge and comfortable, especially after a long days work. I've had a few people asking me to sell it to them, but I refused. I too get ragged on for driving an old man car, OG Lexus, etc, but they don't understand. I let one of my friends drive it and now he knows why I like it so much, buttery smooth driving experince, especially for an old car with over 100k miles.
Old 07-15-16, 08:00 PM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a mechanic at a fairly small 'country' dealership, i must say wages must be higher at lexus then ours. Most people drive pre 2000model cars, some of which really are beaters lol. My celsior is one of the better presented cars in the lot, part of which is due to being washed reguarly.

Im in 2 minds about my car, i mean i think it looks great and fairly happy with how it drives. Fuel economy is a bit poor, ive had to do a descent bit of mechanical maintanance and repairs to get it driving again, but there are still a few more things to do. The seats are in really poor shape, every time i look at them i feel a bit embarreased that the leather is totally destroyed and the carpet is badly stained. I havent fallen inlove with this car like the others. Ive got a long term project mx83 cressida which has had every part of it upgraded and full respray etc and a s13.

I know mine is not a bad car, but sometimes there is temptation to buy a buy a 'new' car. Also im a single person and rarely take passengers, a ute would actually be a lot more practical. Im have been tossing up selling and buying a vz commodore ute (Australian mid 2000's GM rig, with 5.7 or 6 liter ls motors). Id be legally be able to tow my s13 to the track and i could throw my gear in the back. Plus with a tune they get excellent fuel economy and sound tough and go well.

Old 07-17-16, 09:40 AM
mmm def
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who gives a chit what they think. Enjoy your car that's all that matters.
Old 07-17-16, 04:37 PM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I would choose this car over most of what is out there nowadays. Ultra reliable and I have not seen one of these stranded on the roadside (knocks on wood) since I have been driving mine the last 4 years. See plenty of abused 400's just trucking along all the time. Hard cars to kill. Cannot think of another car that I would buy honestly. I plan on keeping my 98 forever, ultimately becoming my son's car. Maybe getting another well kept 98-00 400 or trying the 430 out. Best cars made for the time.

Quick Reply: 1995 LS400..... starting to get picked on lol