LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Battery charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 07:08 AM
rogerowens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charging issues

1992 LS400 Battery charging issues.

Approximately 3 weeks ago, while sitting at a traffic ligh, radio goes quite, eventually shuts off and car dies

Once pushed off to the side of the road, I had the car jumped and it started right up. Battery tested immediately tested GOOD. Alternator tested, tested GOOD.

Car ran fine for a few days and began to have same type of problem. Lights would come on the dash, radio would go silent and car would eventually just die.

After several more tests at parts store, battery finally tested BAD. Replaced battery and car ran fine with no issues for about a week and same problem re-occured.

I have noticed now when the dash lights come on, revving the engine to about 3,000 rpms the lights go off but eventually battery drains.

I have checked battery terminals and ran ground wires etc. to see if there was a noticeable problem but found nothing.

This weekend I removed alternator, took it to a parts store where it again tested GOOD.

Not sure if I should go ahead and replace or rebuild alternator??

I failed to mention that over the past week or so I noticed the instrument panel lights would blink when I apply the brakes. This was not happening prior. Not sure if this is related or not??

If you have any suggestions a this point I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by rogerowens; 07-11-16 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 07:48 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerowens
1992 LS400 Battery charging issues.

Approximately 3 weeks ago, while sitting at a traffic ligh, radio goes quite, eventually shuts off and car dies

Once pushed off to the side of the road, I had the car jumped and it started right up. Battery tested immediately tested GOOD. Alternator tested, tested GOOD.

Car ran fine for a few days and began to have same type of problem. Lights would come on the dash, radio would go silent and car would eventually just die.

After several more tests at parts store, battery finally tested BAD. Replaced battery and car ran fine with no issues for about a week and same problem re-occured.

I have noticed now when the dash lights come on, revving the engine to about 3,000 rpms the lights go off but eventually battery drains.

I have checked battery terminals and ran ground wires etc. to see if there was a noticeable problem but found nothing.

This weekend I removed alternator, took it to a parts store where it again tested GOOD.

Not sure if I should go ahead and replace or rebuild alternator??

If you have any suggestions a this point I would appreciate it. Thanks!
I've had other cars(not a lexus) where the ground points to the chassis would corrode over time and cause all kinds of problems. You might follow all ground points and sand then grease all contact points.
Old 07-11-16, 10:35 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Are all the lights working correctly? One thought is the trunk hinge wiring. We'll often see breaks and grounding issues from this.

Any recent electrical work?
Old 07-11-16, 11:08 AM
rogerowens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Are all the lights working correctly? One thought is the trunk hinge wiring. We'll often see breaks and grounding issues from this.

Any recent electrical work?
As a matter of fact, my left brake light went out. Found out when I got pulled over. Tried to replace the bulb but it was fine. Determined it was the device the bulb plugs into. I took it out in an attempt to find a replacement. Could be the issue??
Old 07-11-16, 12:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

On the hinge there is a wire loom at runs along the bottom of the arm. Breaks in the wiring cause the taillight bulbs to burn out or not work. Remove the rubber cover piece and examine the wires along that section. These often ground out causing shorts that also effect other electrical areas of the car.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html
Old 07-12-16, 04:14 AM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerowens
As a matter of fact, my left brake light went out. Found out when I got pulled over. Tried to replace the bulb but it was fine. Determined it was the device the bulb plugs into. I took it out in an attempt to find a replacement. Could be the issue??
I'm having the exact same issue. The PO replaced the board the bulbs go in already. Next step is to get into that wire harness.