LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It's official, V**veoline Minlife will kill our transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 03:38 PM
700bones
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's official, V**veoline Minlife will kill our transmissions

Long story short, this stuff says that it is rated for toyota's spec (forget what it is off the top of my head atm). I flushed teh tranny last summer, refilled it with Vulvaline Minlife and the car's been my daily ever since. Today it died, no reason at all. Went out to leave to return home (300 miles away). Won't shift out of first, smokes like crazy. I was afraid car was going to catch on fire.

Silver lining on this cloud is now I don't have to pay for a 1uzfe to swap into my 240sx

Don't use Vulvaline MINlife. Get the real stuff, guys.
Old 07-03-16, 04:15 PM
NotSoJibby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently did a trans service on mine and the toyota stuff was surprisingly cheap. I think i paid $50 for 9 bottles. Cheaper than amazon. And that was at the dealer. Just a safer option guys.
Old 07-03-16, 04:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah and I know of a well respected transmission shop that uses that "crap" on most everything. If it was my shop I wouldn't be sticking my neck out trusting it.
Old 07-03-16, 04:24 PM
NotSoJibby
Driver School Candidate

I totally agree. Isnt the v more expensive anyway?
Old 07-03-16, 04:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sorry to hear. Times like this a fluid analysis is good to know the specifics. How many miles on car/tranny and length fluid was in tranny.
Old 07-03-16, 06:46 PM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

Maxlife is a great ATF.
Old 07-03-16, 07:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GasBuggy
Maxlife is a great ATF.
Probably so, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a Chevrolet Hydramatic, or even in the Lexus power steering system. But not in a Gen 1 Automatic transmission.
Old 07-03-16, 11:15 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Isn't it jumping the gun to blame the Maxlife when the problem hasn't even been diagnosed?
Old 07-03-16, 11:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 700bones
Long story short, this stuff says that it is rated for toyota's spec (forget what it is off the top of my head atm). I flushed teh tranny last summer, refilled it with Vulvaline Minlife and the car's been my daily ever since. Today it died, no reason at all. Went out to leave to return home (300 miles away). Won't shift out of first, smokes like crazy. I was afraid car was going to catch on fire.

Silver lining on this cloud is now I don't have to pay for a 1uzfe to swap into my 240sx

Don't use Vulvaline MINlife. Get the real stuff, guys.
Before you go jumping and blaming a fluid flush you did a year ago a lot more needs to be diagnosed.

Originally Posted by RA40
Sorry to hear. Times like this a fluid analysis is good to know the specifics. How many miles on car/tranny and length fluid was in tranny.
This is the information we'd need, in addition to the car's rough history to determine how big a role (if any) the fluid played in the trans issues you're having now.

Originally Posted by aptoslexus
Isn't it jumping the gun to blame the Maxlife when the problem hasn't even been diagnosed?
Exactly this.

Solenoid/harness issues are not unusual for 98-00 LS400s, and neglected transmissions (what fluid was it running before you flushed it) won't magically last forever with a flush/fill.

we need way more information before you turn this into a witch hunt over a fluid that many members have had working for years without issues.
Old 07-04-16, 01:21 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

People that actually know something about automatic transmissions will disagree with all the universal ATF baloney, I've tried to explain why its all hokum. Maybe you'll listen to this guy. And he did mention seals, and forgot about the attack on the frictions.
Using non factory approved fluid will in time cause problems.

Last edited by dicer; 07-04-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 09:13 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

No discussion is more never ending than the old "what fluid can I put in my transmission". I have a Hyundai santa fe where the consensus was that you could only use "Hyundai's fluid". But, a great many said you could go to other universal fluids with no problem. I ended up going to Castrol Multi-Import at 79k miles on my car with the usual warnings that I better start an account to pay for my new transmission. I had a standing post on that forum stating that I would change out my fluid and go back to Hyundai only fluid if anyone could find an article or published account of Castrol fluid causing a transmission to go bad. Found lots of posts where people would talk about seeing lots of transmissions ruined by said universal fluids, but no actual proof. My santa fe now has 165k miles now and still has Castrol trany fluid in it. Never had a lick of trouble with it. I changed into Max life on my Lexus the first week I bought it. One year later and 10,000 miles later, the transmission seems the same to me. All this is anecdotal, but at least with my cars it is what I have done.
Old 07-04-16, 09:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I don't think anyone will ever say X fluid will not work. Even water would work for a while. Its how long is it going to last that makes your fluid change an experiment. And for all you know it could have had that in it the day you got it too. I have a very well respected transmission shop near me, that would use Max life in a Mercedes, and they stick their necks out doing that. I sure wouldn't I've seen seals leak from mixing fluid types, personally I just don't care to chance it. I don't even think I would use max life where I have been using just dexron either, I don't want a problem. Like I hear all the time on here its your car you can use what you like. We all know what is supposed to be used, so no complaints if there is a problem.
Old 07-05-16, 10:31 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This parallels in my mind generic and original medications. For all intents they share similar properties and the results should conform to the basic standards. My suspicion is irregular fluid changes where the fluid at some point was beyond service life which would bring large particulates to clog the solenoids and starve proper fluid travel.

If the car made it to 250K miles with poor care, that is pretty good. Negligent tranny care usually has them going to pasture in the 170-225K range. If this was stop go driving the 150K range.
We have enough threads about transmission fluid maintenance that go back 10 years so the information is available on caring for them long term.
Old 07-05-16, 11:50 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

The main KEY here is, how can there be a one size fits them all fluid? Common sense stuff here, the different transmissions have different friction materials in them. They have different pressures they use, they have different shift programming, meaning one will shift hard and firm and one will put a lot of slippage into the shift.
If you use the slippery shifting fluid in the one that is designed for a harsher shift then you will sooner or later wear it out. Back in the day that was the big difference between the type A and type F fluids. A fluid maker can spec what they want, but whats important is if it is lexus or Honda or who ever the car or transmission maker is, that they say yes we recommend this _______________ fluid in our cars or transmissions. So has Lexus approved
Valvoline Max life for our cars ?? Listen to the video.

I'm sorry but a Lexus transmission and a Mercedes transmission are not the same, nor is an old THM400 the same as the Merc or Lex transmission.
How can they all use the same fluid? Why would they all spec the specific fluid to use? Are the engineers that spend hours and hours testing the transmissions just plain stupid? The label on the bottle of the aftermarket fluid is just more advertising. If your transmission craps from using it they will deny it at all costs, you won't recover a dime. Why? because there is no way to prove them wrong. The problem will always be blamed on the mechanical and not the fluid. And they will always say "see the label it says its approved". The only way you could win is have the Transmission design group show up. And if you use a non approved fluid in a car still under warranty and have a failure, all claims will be denied, if they test that fluid and find the wrong stuff. What it amounts to with the transmission fluid issue is there are a lot of people that know absolutely nothing about automatic transmissions arguing about their special loved bottle of magic transmission fluid.

Last edited by dicer; 07-05-16 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 02:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
People that actually know something about automatic transmissions will disagree with all the universal ATF baloney, I've tried to explain why its all hokum. Maybe you'll listen to this guy. And he did mention seals, and forgot about the attack on the frictions.
Using non factory approved fluid will in time cause problems.
Community College of Philadelphia Car Corner: Automatic Transmissions - YouTube
A community college mechanic is a mechanic, not an engineer, and not someone who's opinion on a complex system I would find trustworthy, especially beyond the scale of a single vehicle and approaching tens of thousands.

Originally Posted by dicer
The main KEY here is, how can there be a one size fits them all fluid? Common sense stuff here, the different transmissions have different friction materials in them. They have different pressures they use, they have different shift programming, meaning one will shift hard and firm and one will put a lot of slippage into the shift.
If you use the slippery shifting fluid in the one that is designed for a harsher shift then you will sooner or later wear it out. Back in the day that was the big difference between the type A and type F fluids. A fluid maker can spec what they want, but whats important is if it is lexus or Honda or who ever the car or transmission maker is, that they say yes we recommend this _______________ fluid in our cars or transmissions. So has Lexus approved
Valvoline Max life for our cars ?? Listen to the video.

I'm sorry but a Lexus transmission and a Mercedes transmission are not the same, nor is an old THM400 the same as the Merc or Lex transmission.
How can they all use the same fluid? Why would they all spec the specific fluid to use? Are the engineers that spend hours and hours testing the transmissions just plain stupid? The label on the bottle of the aftermarket fluid is just more advertising. If your transmission craps from using it they will deny it at all costs, you won't recover a dime. Why? because there is no way to prove them wrong. The problem will always be blamed on the mechanical and not the fluid. And they will always say "see the label it says its approved". The only way you could win is have the Transmission design group show up. And if you use a non approved fluid in a car still under warranty and have a failure, all claims will be denied, if they test that fluid and find the wrong stuff. What it amounts to with the transmission fluid issue is there are a lot of people that know absolutely nothing about automatic transmissions arguing about their special loved bottle of magic transmission fluid.
Because there are people smarter than you with far more experience than you in engineering fluids for transmissions that work for large industrial lubrication companies such as Castrol and Shell. They've answered the questions you have, and created fluids that meet the requirements of usually different but extremely similar fluids. These companies know the liabilities that come with stamping "Approved" on the containers and what that means for them.

Quick Reply: It's official, V**veoline Minlife will kill our transmissions