LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Will an LS400 work for me?

Old 06-30-16, 09:17 AM
AZcelsior
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will an LS400 work for me?

Currently have a 1999 toyota tacoma and love it, but am starting to get bored with it. Also having to pick up furniture/move friends and family all the time is getting old. But I love how reliable it is and easy to work on, but want something that's faster and fun to drive. My no. 1 prospect for a replacement is the LS400 but dont know much about them. Are they easy to service, easy/inexpensive to fix? I know they'll be reliable cause it's a toyota product.. Also do they make bike racks for these cars? I like to do mtn biking which is the only reason I still have the truck for ease of transporting my bike..
Old 06-30-16, 10:25 AM
pmarr
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

As someone who owns two used LS400 's (97&98) I highly recommend them. Both of mine were purchased with the timing belt/ water pump done. Between the two I have put on 65,000 miles and have had zero problems mechanically. They are fast and extremely comfortable and easy to drive. Great for the highway. I would steer toward 98-00 models. 5 speed tranny, HID lights, and Variable Valve Timing. The 98 can average close to 27 mpg on freeway which for a 3700lb car is excellent. Look for ones with documented maintenance and you should be fine. Also research the forums for any other questions, can't speak to their ease to work on, not a mechanic. As for the bike rack I cannot say, that is another search project.
Old 06-30-16, 10:28 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

If it was me, I'd keep the truck and add an LS400 (98-2000) year model.

Fun to drive??? We're going to have to understand your definition of fun.
Many of us have the top tier Lexus vehicle because of it's calm nature and serene environment. It provides a wonderful separation from the road and the external environments and transports you in a cabin of comfort and luxury. When I'm leaving work after a long day... that's what I'm looking for.

When I want fun, I flip the top back on the Miata and have a spin in my go-kart for grown ups.

They are reliable, smooth, quiet, comfortable and fairly cheap right now, but I didn't buy it because it was fun to drive. I bought it because of it's smooth and luxurious ride and extremely strong value proposition for a $65k car for less than $5k.
Old 06-30-16, 11:43 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, LS is never going to be fun to drive. I had to upgrade the suspension a bit to make it a little firm, but it is a nice cruiser and DD for sure. The inside feels like a vault going from other cars.
Old 06-30-16, 12:36 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It sounds more like you need a small suv or something. An LS400 is not for fun driving, you need more of an SC400 or something for that. And no not easy to work on either. Most newer cars are not easy to work on. LS400's are very difficult on some of the normal repair stuff like starter replacements.
And some advice most cars are bought for transportation and fun to drive is not part of the equation, as much as reliable is, and you got that. If you need fun to drive then get a project car or what ever car you think would be fun to drive, keep the one that gets you from point A to point B reliably. Old LS400's may or may not do that for you, just look here at all the problems people have with them. And yes that can be any car. I will never depend on just one car to do that.
Old 06-30-16, 07:56 PM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

They have very extensive electronics, thankfully they are all pretty reliable except for a few known faults which have fixs well documented. Mechanically they seem pretty good, some early 90s models had a known powersteering leak issue. No major other powertrain problems. Although they do seem a little tough on the starter motors, mine is on the way out. Id say they are a pain to work on, im a mechanic and everything about these is kinda weird. Engine goes together funny, exhaust is a bit of a pain to pull off on the ground. I brought mine not running or driving, had a cooked trans and dead battery. Had descent oil leaks and coolant leaks. Replaced the trans, basic shift kit, transcooler, radiator, timing belt, water pump, oil seals etc so ive got a descent handle on it now. Mine was a poor example, had not been looked after for several years so took some work to get back upto scratch. Still have a few more things to finish off.

I have coilovers and 18" wheels that replaced the original airbag sus, it actually handles amazing, it has less body roll then my drift car. Ride has suffered some but it looks good and is generally still pretty comfy. Very easy to drive sedately under 2k rpm. Not what id call a powerful car but it will get moving alright if you plant the foot. I have a open cone filter and it has pretty sweet engine note, which changes very sharply at 4500-6000 rpm from a lumbering work horse to a screaming eagle would be the best description.

I think they are awesome value for money. Ive got a ucf11 1990 celsior jap import (im in Aus) and think they look ****.

Last edited by AaronUCF11; 06-30-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 02:10 AM
GasBuggy
Driver School Candidate

I think you should look for something more sporty if you want to buy a car to not make you bored. Maybe a GS400 if you want an older Lexus. The LS is a smooth cruiser, it is in a way boring and that it what I like about it. Smooth, silent, comfortable. I usually drive a CTS-V with a manual trans, sometimes a Jeep Wrangler,or beater econobox. The LS400 is a nice change of pace.
Old 07-01-16, 02:51 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of good info above but I one area I disagree is ease of maintenance. I find the LS400 very easy to work on. Parts are inexpensive and if you find a car with up to date services your upkeep should be pretty minimal. Plus you get a really nice car at a great price.
Old 07-01-16, 03:25 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

the LS is a good cruising car. Very solidly built and super smooth. I use it to drive to work and back, 80 miles and its an excellent highway cruiser. Good for long road trips.

It gets decent mileage, about 20 mixed and 27 hwy.

Make sure the timing belt WP is done otherwise it'll be pretty expensive. Cost me 400 for the labor and 180 for the Aisin Kit.

Get the 95-00 models, those had 4 piston brakes and were better looking. I got a 97, but wished I had a 98+ model since those are a lot more powerful.

Mine is also very reliable. Currently sitting at 271k and it drives like it has 50k.
Old 07-01-16, 03:42 AM
AaronUCF11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Get the 95-00 models, those had 4 piston brakes and were better looking. I got a 97, but wished I had a 98+ model since those are a lot more powerful.
No way, first gens are the most attractive models! Ucf20 are tame and 30 dont really match the front and rear styling. 40s look too merc-ish for my tastes.
Old 07-01-16, 06:51 AM
AZcelsior
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I think I'll keep doing some research. Like I said don't really have a need for a truck anymore and am just looking for a change of pace. I love the look of the ls400 (especially lowered). Also a plush ride, quiet cabin, and 20 mpg doesn't sound all that bad either.
Old 07-01-16, 09:10 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i'm convinced it's basically the best car ever lol, and i've driven AMGs, BMWs, and cars from pretty much every manufacturer at some point. in terms of doing just about everything well, none of them can match the LS. and this is coming from a 22 year old speed enthusiast who's dream car has always been the mclaren f1. as others have said, the 98-00 is probably the one you're going to want. it's newer, has more features, faster, better mpgs, more low end torque, better handling, and (i think) the best looking, especially with some LS 430 wheels on it.

when the others have said it's not fun to drive, they just mean it won't be an M5 in the corners, which is totally true. and also, a good thing, because if you want to make the smoothest, most comfortable car ever you have to sacrifice somewhere. this the absolute BEST car for a long highway journey, and will even get above 30 mpg if you can restrain yourself and keep it below 65-70. reliability? mine's had fewer issues in 17 years than my dad's brand new E63 has had in under 2... and being a 90s toyota it's relatively straightforward to work on. coming from the tacoma you'll feel the difference as soon as you press the gas pedal, this thing is quick

Old 07-01-16, 11:33 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AandSC
A lot of good info above but I one area I disagree is ease of maintenance. I find the LS400 very easy to work on. Parts are inexpensive and if you find a car with up to date services your upkeep should be pretty minimal. Plus you get a really nice car at a great price.
Ease of maintenance? Yeah changing the oil. But even things like changing the air filter are a pain in the rear.
You must not have any other experience working on other things to compare it to.
The easiest thing to work on would be an old chevy truck. The thing that takes the longest changing a water pump on it is draining and refilling the radiator. And the starter is what maybe a 15 minute job for someone inexperienced. So really you for sure have nothing to compare ease of maintenance to, LS must have been the first car you have turned a wrench on.
When you have to remove tons of plastic to get to something on the engine and fight with a wire loom, and use magnets to remove bolts your hands won't fit into, sorry that is not being easy to work on. I guess if you have hands the size of a 4 year old it would be easier.

Last edited by dicer; 07-01-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 01:35 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Ease of maintenance? Yeah changing the oil. But even things like changing the air filter are a pain in the rear.
You must not have any other experience working on other things to compare it to.
The easiest thing to work on would be an old chevy truck. The thing that takes the longest changing a water pump on it is draining and refilling the radiator. And the starter is what maybe a 15 minute job for someone inexperienced. So really you for sure have nothing to compare ease of maintenance to, LS must have been the first car you have turned a wrench on.
When you have to remove tons of plastic to get to something on the engine and fight with a wire loom, and use magnets to remove bolts your hands won't fit into, sorry that is not being easy to work on. I guess if you have hands the size of a 4 year old it would be easier.
I've worked on many vehicles over the years. Try changing the supercharger or clutch on a Mini Cooper S, or the electric water pump on a recent BMW 3 series and get back to me. I most likely have a lot more experience working on cars and motorcycles than you do. You just like to complain about anything and everything....like driving 30 miles to find parts for your car. This board would be a lot better place if you would stop turning people off from posting.

Last edited by AandSC; 07-01-16 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 01:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Lets see, I've been doing wrench twisting since I was 7 years old not on cars, go carts and such. Cars started around 12 and never ended, I did industrial diesel stuff for over 10 years with mixed automotive, motorcycles was into that in my teens and was machining and welding cases, I am now in early 60's. So do you got me beat? How many roadrangers have you overhauled? How about Cat power shifts? Maybe your an expert on 8v-92's? Maybe you've done a few Allisons? How about aircraft engines maybe you've done some mags and of course timing or cylinder pulls and lash on 2800's?
And as far as ease of working on something I'm just stating the simple facts. I try to help others, if you say turning people off from posting that's your opinion.
The answer to the OP is no.

Last edited by dicer; 07-01-16 at 01:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will an LS400 work for me?