LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400's with paint pealing off

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 09:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default LS400's with paint pealing off

Its driving me nuts all the ones forsale with paint missing and the high price tags, what is wrong with those people can't they see the paint missing?

On another note, how many here have cars with the paint coming off? Either occasional waxing or covering will help prevent that from happening. Does anyone here know what kind of paint Lexus used back then? I sure wish that pursuit of perfection would have figured out something that would not flake off from lack of care.
Old 06-28-16, 09:49 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Unfortunately though, paint has still not changed much at all, even for Lexus/Toyota back then. I think the three stages helped with durability, but it only does so much. I believe the paint on these cars outlasted paint jobs on many other makes and models, but anything will still peel from neglect.

The state of some of these cars is definitely a little bothersome. Respraying the hood alone could cost $500 to do a fair job. It doesn't make sense to ask over value for a car that needs at least $1k of body work, even if it was made well.

The main reason why we see this with any car is not too many people take care of their cars like they used to. Many go to your average car wash without taking the time to wax, etc... All of this leads to the example of an "old car" most people know now.

This is also what happens when a car depreciates in value, and makes it into cheaper markets. It's a reason why cars like the Bel Air are so valuable now - only so many well kept examples are still around. However, this isn't to say that I'm not happy about that.. Had this car not depreciated, many of us wouldn't have one.

I strongly believe that if everyone understood economics, things would be very different.. People wouldn't overpay at dealerships, and they would have more of an incentive to learn how to perform many jobs on their own.

Last edited by CELSI0R; 06-28-16 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 02:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Its driving me nuts all the ones forsale with paint missing and the high price tags, what is wrong with those people can't they see the paint missing?

On another note, how many here have cars with the paint coming off? Either occasional waxing or covering will help prevent that from happening. Does anyone here know what kind of paint Lexus used back then? I sure wish that pursuit of perfection would have figured out something that would not flake off from lack of care.
Unless the car you're buying was stored in a vault it's entire life or being maintained by a professional detailer varying amounts of paint damage are expected on used cars that are upwards of 20 years old at the present time.

What you're complaining about, dicer, is that you're upset that Lexus/Toyota didn't make a paint that is completely impervious to neglect and good to last literally forever.

That is a beyond unrealistic desire.
Old 06-29-16, 06:53 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Wouldn't peeling paint indicate a substandard respray?

Original paint would fade, not peel...no?

Improper Preparation…
I’m sure you’ve noticed that certain car models tend to experience paint peeling more than other vehicle models. The primary cause of the defective paint job is improper preparation during the painting process. Before the painting process is performed, the metal surface must be prepped with a primer. The purpose of the primer is to provide a base layer for the paint. If the primer is not applied correctly, the complete paint job will be compromised. While the paint finish may initially appear flawless, the paint will likely begin to peel in a few years or less. The only solution is to strip off the old paint and repaint the entire exterior again.

A Chip or Scratch…
In the blink of an eye, a rock or any other flying piece of debris could hit your vehicle. If the scratch or chip is not repaired in a timely manner, the paint will start to prematurely deteriorate. During the painting process, a clear coat of protection is added to the paint finish. While the additional barrier of protection is very durable, a sharp projectile can break the seal. This means that dirt and moisture may start to build up underneath the paint finish. The end result is a paint job that will gradually begin to peel more and more over time. In severe cases, you may begin to see the formation of surface rust on the body of their vehicle.
The three American domestics (Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler) had issues is the 80's and 90's when they changed processes.

Last edited by Daspyda; 06-29-16 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 08:22 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda

The three American domestics (Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler) had issues is the 80's and 90's when they changed processes.
Yes, everything you mentioned is correct.

In my post, when I mentioned peeling, I was referring to the clear coat layer of the paint job. Once the clear coat has peeled, the paint will continue to fade, etc.
Old 06-29-16, 10:22 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Old samples have this to some degree or high degree. Can spot this on many other manufacturers cars too. Certain levels of paint care are necessary and if the owner chooses to let it go then once it starts....

Poor body work as well, Dad's Corolla had a small part resprayed. The clear on that has bubbled. Will post pics later on that. That car is left outside and I have to make sure to care for the paint and vinyl-rubber pieces. Other outside kept Corollas of the same generation I've seen rusted roof's. Bumpers are pretty much a given that the paint will wear and fade differently then the metal panels.
Old 06-29-16, 02:15 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

the white ones have held up well. I haven't seen too many with peeling paint but lots of sun fading. ive seen several black ones that turned almost grey like they have never seen a day of garaging in there lifes. the red ones seem to have done the worst. as these cars get older and older especially the early ones, im seeing other things happening. cracking dashes, seats so bad you cant even tell what color they were, glass starting to haze, plastic cracking all over. they are also getting a different smell, unlike the "old lexus" smell they all seem to used to have. now its more like old vinyl with a hint of gas and oil. they are starting to smell like classic cars. its kind of cool in a way. gives them character. I cannot believe how old these cars are getting.
Old 06-29-16, 02:19 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Old samples have this to some degree or high degree. Can spot this on many other manufacturers cars too. Certain levels of paint care are necessary and if the owner chooses to let it go then once it starts....

Poor body work as well, Dad's Corolla had a small part resprayed. The clear on that has bubbled. Will post pics later on that. That car is left outside and I have to make sure to care for the paint and vinyl-rubber pieces. Other outside kept Corollas of the same generation I've seen rusted roof's. Bumpers are pretty much a given that the paint will wear and fade differently then the metal panels.
good luck trying to match paint on a 26 year old car.. ive seen glass bubbling on some of them too. like the two ply windshield
Old 06-29-16, 03:44 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

No sub standard respray I'm talking about the factory paint or yeah the clear goes first then the base follows.
And its from sitting in the sun, as a dark color will get up to 165 degrees F in my area, I bet it is worse in the south. At least a good car polish / wax will protect from some of the UV and help it last.
My major complaint is the people with cars on craigslist that are asking outa sight prices for something that needs an 8000 dollar paint job. They all have no clue, what it takes and what was lost.
Old 06-29-16, 07:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by dicer
No sub standard respray I'm talking about the factory paint or yeah the clear goes first then the base follows.
And its from sitting in the sun, as a dark color will get up to 165 degrees F in my area, I bet it is worse in the south. At least a good car polish / wax will protect from some of the UV and help it last.
My major complaint is the people with cars on craigslist that are asking outa sight prices for something that needs an 8000 dollar paint job. They all have no clue, what it takes and what was lost.
When buying a $3000-4000 car that's 20 years old you're shouldn't be expecting showroom fresh paint. Nobody is going to give you a discount past the market price for the car. The market price for used vehicles factors in an average amount of wear and tear.

You can't expect pristine paint on an old used car you're buying for <$10-15k (depending on make/model). Why would someone selling a mechanically sound, rust-free LS400 for 3-4k discount the price because the paint has some issues that are common to other examples of the same year/make/model? Don't expect them to give you a 3,000 price reduction so you can go get it resprayed.

For the most part, early 90s toyota paint ages better than most/many other makes of the era. Darker colors appear to fade more than lighter with age but this is actually a visual trick due to the pigmentation that is fading being in higher quantity in darker cars, most pigments fade at the same rate.
Old 06-29-16, 07:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Daspyda

Base coat usually doesn't peel, but clear coat will oxidize and lift with age/heat/neglect.
Old 06-29-16, 07:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

At the Westminster meet the paint on 2-LS's were looking pretty good. Same among other older GS's but this is the enthusiasts crowd who will put a bit more care into them. There are nice 2-LS's on the roads being driven by seniors that look to be in excellent condition.
Old 06-29-16, 10:08 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
At the Westminster meet the paint on 2-LS's were looking pretty good. Same among other older GS's but this is the enthusiasts crowd who will put a bit more care into them. There are nice 2-LS's on the roads being driven by seniors that look to be in excellent condition.
They are out there and yes I do expect to find one in top shape others have!
I really don't care about the mechanicals. But if the body is in good shape it means the owner cared, and the rest should be okay too.
Old 06-29-16, 10:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The funny part of me is that when I see a very nice 2-LS or 3-LS being driven by a 60'ish owner I want to ask them if they would consider selling. There was a really clean SC400 being driven by a white haired lady last year. Most the SC's I see are getting pretty beat and super clean stock ones are less and less. I share your interest in the clean stock ones dicer.
Old 06-30-16, 01:13 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

I also saw a super nice SC400 the other day and talked to the guy, he did have different wheels and stereo in it. He did keep the original stuff and added no new holes for the install. I was happy to hear it. It was in super good shape for an early 90's car. Dark color and only one small dent, the SC's are going up in price. And maybe a better choice than the LS400's.

Quick Reply: LS400's with paint pealing off